The Ultimate gps?

Walker Dan

I had a demonstration of one of these at a recent defence equipment ex, and it did at first glance appear to be a rather nice piece of equipment. It seems that their main focus for marketing is for defence use, and it was explained to me that military users are looking for bespoke, reliable systems. Because of this they have designed it so it will only run their mapping software despite it being based on a PPC platform. I feel that this will seriously limit its functionality for Geocaching purposes, as you would not be able to run software such as Cachemate, GPXSonnar, TomTom etc. Its basic price (sorry can't remember the prices) seemed very reasonable for a ruggedised device but when you take into account that this does not include any maps it then became rather expensive.

Have just seen the Satmap Active 10 GPS reviewed and it seems to me a decent bit of kit. Those more technically inclined may be able to pick holes in it but would be interested to know if anyne has actually seen one or used one.

Check it out at www.satmap.com

There appears to be no way to put in coordinates. Not found a way of connecting it to any GPS software I've got. But the display is bright enough to light the way at night. Too bright. Might be worth waiting for Clyde at GSAK to develop an export feature or other mapping software to work with it.

Will report back after further use. The SD card I got does not work, so can't report on the OS mapping. But road mapping works. Have not found out how to play mp3s, yet.

Running on lithium batteries because its cold out there.

Nice gadget

But at £300 for the unit and £100 for a third of the country at 50k (how does that work when they are planning to also charge £30 per county :laughing: ?) for the maps this is a veeeery expensive piece of kit

Plus route planning offline would need extra mapping software

Think I'll stick with my kit!

Nice gadget

But at £300 for the unit and £100 for a third of the country at 50k (how does that work when they are planning to also charge £30 per county :rolleyes: ?) for the maps this is a veeeery expensive piece of kit

Plus route planning offline would need extra mapping software

Think I'll stick with my kit!

You did not hear this from me :-) Its possible to copy the SD cards. They are not tied to each device, unlike Garmin maps. Re-inserting the SD map card whilst switched on, alerts the active 10 to cards presence. OS mapping back on track. Going into Mickleden today to find a Geovexilla flag with active 10. oops wrong forum!!

Have asked Satmap to recommend a waypoint program. Heard nothing back yet.

Have followed Satmap and others for some length of time.

If you already have memory map you cant use it with satmap.

Satmap also has a very losable rubber plug at the bottom so quickly loses its waterproofing.

Satmap only give grid refs to eight places.

It also wont accept other programmes such as cachemate onto it.

Pros are armoured supposedly waterproof, good screen, long batterylife, good zoom function and maps on SD cards are OS maps and cards can be used in different satmaps. These maps are all about the same price as the memorymap equivelants

I think with a little thought this could have been a dream geocaching device but unfortunately falls short on a number of fronts.

Other devices are perhaps Roadangel and possibly the new Mios 360 and 560 but none quite make the cut for me.

Suspect that Garmin may be waiting to produce something?