Coin tracking websites

earthrooster

OK, I'm relatively new to geocoin collecting but I've amassed quite a collection already. Yes, I went a little crazy :rolleyes: but who doesn't? :D

I'm really interested in trading coins as there are some beautiful pieces out there. I know of a couple of websites where I can post what I have and what I wish for (cointracking.com and geocoincollection.com). What site do you use and why? I'm interested in the differences between sites and why you like one versus the other.

I hope it's appropriate to ask for a recommendation like this :huh:

Thanks, everybody!

I use cointracking 'coz it's the first I learned to use and didn't want to replicate the learning curve. I also like taking my own pics of the coins I post on my list(s) or I can snag others... no dif. I don't think you can do that on the other site and it's frustrating seeing a listing with the caption "photo coming soon" for a coin that's been out a while. That's my experience, my nickel's worth and I'm stickin' to it.

But it's harder to find the coins your looking for on cointracking.com since anyone can create a database entry and use any image they want and call it what ever they want. That makes it way more difficult to do searches. So, cointracking.com may have a larger database, but how many times are you counting a particular coin? (I just counted my Arizona Season coin is listed under different naming schemes, three of which use the same picture.)

Also, if you want to have a decent image of both sides of the coin on the list, you have to pay for an edition for that privilege on cointracking.com.

I also like taking my own pics of the coins I post on my list(s) or I can snag others... no dif.

Geocoincollection.com doesn't like to use pictures unless they are taken by the collectors using the service. This is to avoid issues with copyright infringements, so there's a big dif.

Snagging images isn't always the best option. I see tons of artwork images in some of the images on cointracking.com are early artworks of coins that are never coming.

geocoincollection.com has better pics but less coins listed and it takes them a while to get photos posted sometimes.

Getting images posted is just a matter of the collectors out there uploading them.

I left cointracking.com because it was getting too difficult to sort out what coins were available for trade and by who. With the geocoincollection.com database, I know exactly who has what available.... no guesses if the image in use is what's really being advertised.

Besides, it's way easier to manage you collection on geocoincollection.com. You log in, search for the name of the coin, add the number coins under the categories of seek, keep or trade, hit submit... and you're done. Four easy steps, three if you have cookies enabled since you wouldn't have to log in.

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.

I am a self-confessed tragic :rolleyes:

I have lists on both sites. The reason for this is that I get more trade offers!

I really like both sites and cant choose between them, as they both have their good points.

Cointracking

* Being able to upload/choose my own photos

* Seeing all my coins on one page

* Being able to buy newly released coins (you hear about them first via email when you have a list on the site)

* Being able to 'rate' people you trade with, and get a rating of your own

Geocoincollection

* Its quicker to create and update your lists

* It already has almost all the geocoins in existence (and uploads new ones when you ask them to)

* Has its own forum

* Has its own 'groupies' who trade with people on that site as it is very user-friendly in that respect. You put in a coin you want, and you can immediately see everyone who has that coin to trade.

But then you could also go to UTAG (I think that's what its called) which has a free geocoin listing site

I use geocoincollection.com specifically because it has control over the listings and pictures. On the other main site, a single coin issue can be listed multiple different ways with multiple pictures (many showing only one side of the coin). Also, on geocoincollection.com you can actually query the database and find all the coins matching your query. Compare to the other main site, and instead what you get is everybody's *listing* of the coin. Try it for yourself, using an example, such as "dragon" (or what ever you want), and check what you can see on each site.

If there are less coins listed on geocoincollection.com, I suspect it is because the other site has the same coin listed multiple times, in different ways.

You may prefer one over the other for different reasons, but for my money only geocoincollection.com presents a geocoin database in a controlled and searchable format.

That's the major and most important difference in my opinion, but at the end of the day I recommend everyone do what I did: Try them both heavily, especially searching and getting results of different geocoins.

I forgot to add that as a plus for cointracking.com, it is far easier to keep track of exactly where your coins are - 'trading', 'keeping', 'seeking', 'paid', 'incoming', 'outgoing', 'pending', 'shipped' etc. I like being able to see on one page where all my coins are at, especially when I'm doing a lot of trades at once, as well as buying coins.

Geocoincollection has three divisions - Trading, Seeking and Keeping

Both have room for you to write comments though

Getting images posted is just a matter of the collectors out there uploading them.

Besides, it's way easier to manage you collection on geocoincollection.com. You log in, search for the name of the coin, add the number coins under the categories of seek, keep or trade, hit submit... and you're done. Four easy steps, three if you have cookies enabled since you wouldn't have to log in.

Ok, more to consider. Still reading posts...

I'm thinking that cointracking.com would get on my nerves if the same coin is listed under different names. I'm just a little, urm, picky about that sort of thing :D I prefer things nice and neat when possible. And the variety of tracking options with geocoincollection.com sounds good too, as well as ease of adding the listings.

I'm leaning... :lol:

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the replies. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to read them. I've been pretty busy.

We have just recently taken the plunge to go with Geocoincollection.com

The reason is simple: Ease of use.

It is definitely easy to use. I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon/evening listing the bulk of my coins there. I'm still fine tuning the lists and need to work on the wish list. I'm not familiar enough with coins out there to really have a list of what I want. I'm going to work on that.

Adding pictures isn't a problem either. I had some photos of coins already and provided the site with ones they had missing. He updated photos on several listings yesterday and even added a couple of listings of new coins.

I intend to dig up more photos and send them in as I have time here and there. Didn't I mention that I'm a little, um, well, not quite OCD :D but I like to see ALL the photos when I look at the lists. :rolleyes:

I like using geocoincollection.com to keep track of my coins.I also have found www.geocointrader.com and you can list your coins on there site for free or send a donation if you want.

Ding, ding, ding. I heard the word "free", and that was enough for me. I know the other sites are probably better, but this is where I'm going to be for now. Thanks for the info. ;)

edit: Except, unfortunately, they have very few coins listed. I don't have the energy to submit to them the many coins of mine that they don't have.

Edited by Ambrosia

I try to maintain a want list and trade list on geocoincollection.com, it's good for maintaining a list of what ya got ~ I also signed up for cointracking, it's search function is more intuitive and it's easier to list a new collection.

I thought about using both but one list is enough to keep up with online ;) especially since I keep a complete list with Microsoft Access.