C330 and downloading waypoints

Scooter38401

I am a very satisfied owner of a gpsV and have just this week ordered 3 StreetpilotC330 units for our children and my wife's automobiles. I am wondering though that since these are automotive units, how do I download waypoints of my own creation to the unit? I use Mapsource for loading maps to my gpsV, and I use GSAK for handling the geocaches and waypoints of my own creation. I see the c330 has a sd card slot. Do I load these waypoints to a sd card then stick the card into the c330? Will GSAK do that for me, or do I need some other software? I do not intend on using the c330 for geocaching, but I do have alot of waypoints I have created over the years.

Edited by Scooter38401

I am a very satisfied owner of a gpsV and have just this week ordered 3 StreetpilotC330 units for our children and my wife's automobiles. I am wondering though that since these are automotive units, how do I download waypoints of my own creation to the unit? I use Mapsource for loading maps to my gpsV, and I use GSAK for handling the geocaches and waypoints of my own creation. I see the c330 has a sd card slot. Do I load these waypoints to a sd card then stick the card into the c330? Will GSAK do that for me, or do I need some other software? I do not intend on using the c330 for geocaching, but I do have alot of waypoints I have created over the years.

The C330 is supported directly in GSAK. You just need to connect your C330 to your computer via the USB cable, then send the waypoints in the same manner as you have for the GPSV.

However, your GPSV is serial and the C330 is USB so:

1. In GPS=>Setup, make sure you check the "GPSr is USB" box

2. You have loaded your C330 USB driver so that GSAK (and other programs) can communicate with it.

C330 supports user waypoints. They can be written by GPSBabel and thus, GSAK.

This unit does not support waypoints or POIs on SD; they must be sent via Garmin protocol.

Garmin POI Loader is another option if you wish to write non-editable waypoints to the C330. GPSBabel can't write .gpi files to this unit.

If this unit will not read custom POI and waypoints from the card then how many will it store on the unit itself. How much on board memory does it have? I must have qite a bit to store all of City Navigator, is ther enough left to add a sizable amount of waypoints or POI's?

Oh, and what is the SD slot for anyway if not for adding user info?

Well, the other issue with the c330 is that while it connects to the computer via USB in order to be able to load Custom POIs, Waypoints, and maps, it doesn't show up as a drive so you can't determine how much space is available on it. Having said that and while the space is limited compared to other units, you should be able to load several thousands (perhaps tens of thousands) on the unit. Custom POIs don't take up much space.

The SD slot is for additional maps only.

I do not understand the problem with loading waypoints to a C330. I read this string and downloaded GSAK. I looked through the program and closed it. I went to the cache listings to look at them and with my C330 hooked up to the computer I clicked on the far right green icon (send to GPS) and when the window came up with the same thing I clicked on it and there is was in my favorites on the GPS. It gives the cache ID number and then when you hit go to is shows the name. I also learned that you can edit the ID number to name it what you want.

It actually seemed pretty easy, I plan on using it to get me close and then use my handheld to go on foot for the find.

I do not understand the problem with loading waypoints to a C330. I read this string and downloaded GSAK. I looked through the program and closed it. I went to the cache listings to look at them and with my C330 hooked up to the computer I clicked on the far right green icon (send to GPS) and when the window came up with the same thing I clicked on it and there is was in my favorites on the GPS. It gives the cache ID number and then when you hit go to is shows the name. I also learned that you can edit the ID number to name it what you want.

It actually seemed pretty easy, I plan on using it to get me close and then use my handheld to go on foot for the find.

I am so happy I read these tips. I did as you said and yep there they are on my c330. My son and daughter in law gave me the c330 when I thought I really wanted a Tom Tom but I am happy they got me the Garmin!

Can you tell again how to get Poi to show when I am navigating. Also the nearby roads dont show names on my c330 but the same CN on my 60cxs shows more road names. Any suggestions?

The built in POI will only show up on the map when you are zoomed in fairly close (perhaps 300 feet or closer).

Favorites should show up somewhat further out, but you would need to zoom in on one to see exactly what the threshold is on that unit as different units have different settings.

As to the road names, first be sure that your map detail is set to the highest setting. Then for different road types, you will need to be zoomed in to different settings to see all the names.