GARMIN 60CSX vs. GARMIN eTrex Vista HCx

Puma-Cachers

Me and my boyfriend bought the eTrex Legend as our first GPS and we had a lot of frustrations with that thing but it was a decent GPS I suppose, getting us through our first 140 finds (and a lot of DNFs do to the GPS problems)... but we're really tired of the signal always going out or the compass pointing the wrong way or the accuracy being off by 30+ feet... never ever got a signal better than 20 foot accuracy.

So now my parents have agreed to buy us a new one for Christmas and I've been hearing a lot about these two models... seems like there are a lot of problems with them too. Can you guys tell me what's good and what's bad? Should I consider a different GPS or are these great?

We don't want just a 'good' GPS, we want something that won't lose signal, will direct us to a cache more accurate, get us closer than 20 feet... etc, etc, etc. <_<

well I just happend to have both of those units, not for sale but to give you a very quick review

the 60csx has a grrrreat case layout, far superior to the vista hcx

the vista hcx locks onto signals quicker and does not sway its position nearly as bad as the 60csx

the vista hcx gets a lot more battery life and has a much easier slot for the microSD cards, you simply push the card into the pop slot no need to take the batteries out

if you liked the layout of the legend and want a similar unit which just happends to be the best unit on the market for the price without a doubt, then go for the vista HCX

the 60 is probably just as accurate in the brush as my vista hcx 95% of the time, and the layout is much much better.......

like most on this forum, we generally go with aesthetics now (how it feels in your hand a store before buying) because the accuracies with high sensitivity receivers are nearly the same and as good as you will get for a while, when you get down to a receiver that does +/-5ft in the brush, it kinda takes the fun away from geocaching, you are simply walking toa destination then and not really seeking anything, might as well drive ;p

We don't want just a 'good' GPS, we want something that won't lose signal, will direct us to a cache more accurate, get us closer than 20 feet... etc, etc, etc.

You'll need to spend a few thousand dollars for one of those. All consumer grade units will have some inaccuracy.

As far as these units having a lot of problems, I don't think that is the case. When you read a forum like this, nearly everybody who experiences a quirk will come here to complain. The many thousands who are perfectly happy with their units tend not to come here to proclaim that everything is OK.

As far as the two units in question, they are very close feature and performance-wise. So you need to think of your intended uses.

If one of your primary uses will be for navigating in your automobile (or for biking) the 60 models are superior because the buttons are on the front and easy to operate when set in a dashboard or handlebar mount. The Etrex units have the buttons on the side, which is great for easy, one handed operation, but difficult to operate while driving or riding.

If your chief use however will be hiking and/or backpacking, you might prefer the lighter weight and more compact size of the Vista HCX.

You might also want to consider the Map76 CSX. It's essentially the same unit as the 60CSX in a different case. It's usually cheaper than the 60 because its design isn't quite as popular. The 76 has the advantage of floating, which is a useful feature if you are a boater.

.....when you get down to a receiver that does +/-5ft in the brush, it kinda takes the fun away from geocaching, you are simply walking toa destination then and not really seeking anything, might as well drive ;p

It's not so much going to a cache that I have a problem with, it's getting a decent signal to hide caches. Our first hide had many complainers about our coords being way way off.

and thanks for the replies everyone. ;)

.....when you get down to a receiver that does +/-5ft in the brush, it kinda takes the fun away from geocaching, you are simply walking toa destination then and not really seeking anything, might as well drive ;p

It's not so much going to a cache that I have a problem with, it's getting a decent signal to hide caches. Our first hide had many complainers about our coords being way way off.

and thanks for the replies everyone. :anibad:

I always check the "accuracy" figure displayed when I set a waypoint for caches I hide. Also, leave it on the spot without moving for a minute or so and the accuracy increases as the signal reception settles down. Wait for it to be under 15 feet or so. With one of the above mentioned GPS's, that will work even better. REI has a great sale on the Vista HCx for around $200. I just ordered one. Check their web page.

Edited by Alan2