Is it OK to post a virtual cache for an open house?

The4doubleLs

One of my family members is selling their house soon and I want to know if I can post a virtual cache near their house so people come and see what a beauty it is as long as it is .10 miles away from other caches. I know this is not the traditional way of doing virtuals but I wanted to see how other cachers felt about this or if it is against the rules. Thanks. <_<

One of my family members is selling their house soon and I want to know if I can post a virtual cache near their house so people come and see what a beauty it is as long as it is .10 miles away from other caches. I know this is not the traditional way of doing virtuals but I wanted to see how other cachers felt about this or if it is against the rules. Thanks. <_<

Phew! Now I see yet one more reason why it became IMPERATIVE to move virtuals off this site and onto Waymarking.com!

Amazing... truly amazing...

Not only the virtual point, but how about this:

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. If the finder is required to go inside the business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, then the cache is presumed to be commercial.

Some exceptions can be made. In these situations, permission can be given by Groundspeak. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first. If you do not have advance permission, your reviewer will refer you to Groundspeak.

One of my family members is selling their house soon and I want to know if I can post a virtual cache near their house so people come and see what a beauty it is as long as it is .10 miles away from other caches. I know this is not the traditional way of doing virtuals but I wanted to see how other cachers felt about this or if it is against the rules. Thanks. ;)

Phew! Now I see yet one more reason why it became IMPERATIVE to move virtuals off this site and onto Waymarking.com!

So as not to confuse the OP, virtuals were eliminated, not moved. Waymarking is a different, unrelated concept all together.

Having said that, the commercial aspect would keep you from listing the cache here. A cache would not generate the traffic you would hope to be of any use and may end up being more bothersome even if it were allowed.

Good luck on selling the house, I know it can be a scary proposition right now.

One of my family members is selling their house soon and I want to know if I can post a virtual cache near their house so people come and see what a beauty it is as long as it is .10 miles away from other caches. I know this is not the traditional way of doing virtuals but I wanted to see how other cachers felt about this or if it is against the rules. Thanks. ;)

If you would like, PM me and I can give you some ideas to run past your family members regarding selling the house. What to do if they are doing a FSBO (For Sale By Owner), questions to ask if they are considering using a realtor, and so forth.

I am a licensed realtor in New York State, and no, I don't want their business. But I'm willing to give them some ideas that might help.

I prefer a PM, but if you want to do it on the thread, that's fine, but let me know so I can keep checking on it.

So as not to confuse the OP, virtuals were eliminated, not moved. Waymarking is a different, unrelated concept all together.

And to be even less confusing, :D , virtuals are no longer published, but the older ones have been grandfathered. That's why you still see virtuals on the site, but cannot submit one of your own. :D

I am a licensed realtor in New York State, and no, I don't want their business. But I'm willing to give them some ideas that might help.

I prefer a PM, but if you want to do it on the thread, that's fine, but let me know so I can keep checking on it.

Since a thread on tips on selling your home yourself isn't geocaching-related, PM would be the best way to go.

;)

I doubt it would be listed on Waymarking either.

'Zackly! ;):D

I suppose someone could propose a Waymarking category for open houses. It may have trouble passing peer review because of the temporary nature of the waymark. There are various commercial categories from brewpubs to Wal*Mart so that wouldn't be a problem.

My thought is that an open house would be more of an event than a virtual cache. But unless only geocachers are invited to the open house it wouldn't meet the guideline for an event as well

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

One of my family members is selling their house soon and I want to know if I can post a virtual cache near their house so people come and see what a beauty it is as long as it is .10 miles away from other caches. I know this is not the traditional way of doing virtuals but I wanted to see how other cachers felt about this or if it is against the rules. Thanks. :anibad:

I wonder, you'd think that rational review and publishing rules and practices would have covered such situations. BTW, I didn't understand that virtuals had been removed from this site to Waymarking. When did that happen?

Amazing.

Virtuals? Don't think so. Waymarking.com went online November, 2005 - Link. The Locationless caches were "moved" to there, but not automatically. The owners would have to create the category for them on Waymarking.com.

Virtuals weren't moved anywhere. I believe that since October 2005, it wasn't possible to submit new virtuals, at all. The "old" ones remain active, if the owners isn't MIA. The same applies to Webcam caches. :anibad:

As for the locationless they were locked on early 2006.

If someone wants to create a new virtual, webcam or locationless, they should visit Waymarking.com

(submitted 5 new waymarks today, who-hoo!)

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Edit: spelling.

Edited by SUp3rFM & Cruella