Hike - Summer 2008

Quoddy

Having had such a wonderful hike this past summer on the Long Trail, I thought I'd post my plan for the coming year now. Anyone wishing to join me is more than welcome and you would then have ample time to get organized. I'll be leaving the Canadian border in Glacier NP on the Continental Divide Trail in late June when the snow level will be manageable. Hiking through some the the most spectacular vistas of North America in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. Right now I plan to hike at least to Yellowstone NP, and time permitting I'm going on to Grand Teton NP. My wife has said that if I keep on going to Mexico the house will be empty when I get back.

946c9322-acc1-45ec-9e21-93eb70d57bf4.jpg

Quoddy,

I hiked from the Canadian Border to Rogers Pass in August of 1988. In our nine day hike through Glacier, it snowed on us seven days. Resupply was difficult going through the Bob Marshall Wilderness/ Scapegoat Wilderness, as we went for 17 days without crossing a road. We left a resupply package at the Benchmark Ranger Station, in a special bear-proof storage cabin, but we had to drive in to place it.

I think you will definitely run into snow if you start in June, it doesn't clear out till late July. I did a trip in early July in the Wind River Range, and we experienced thigh deep melting snow, interspersed with heavy mud, topped off with clouds of bugs. The biggest problem you will have is not the snow itself, but the flooded river crossings during snow melt. Outside of Glacier N.P., you can expect no bridges. There were times when I had to camp at a river crossing and make the crossing at dawn, when there was minimal snow melt. The lingering snow under the trees caused us to lose the trail repeatedly, and we traveled at about half the pace that we had planned.

E-mail me privately if you would like to discus the trip further.

jonboy (John)

My wife has said that if I keep on going to Mexico the house will be empty when I get back.

That is nice that she is willing to give up possessions to fund your expedition. On a serious note reading your entry makes me think of my desire to through hike the Appalachian Trail someday. Best of luck.

You should consider renting one of these. Especially if you are going to do this solo, you never know when an emergency could occur. Google, "personal locater beacon rental".

I'll probably be carrying a SPOT Satellite Messenger and Tracker, not only for this trek, but also for my shorter hikes in the mountains of New York and Vermont. This allows family and friends to track progress on Google maps, allows for "I'm OK" type messages, an also a "Help" message for when the situation is not critical. Of course there is also the full emergency 911 feature. First reports on the "SPOT" are very good. As soon as I see a few more user reviews, I'll be buying one. Initial outlay is low, but it does require either a full annual or monthly (when in use) subscription.