City Navigator vs. Metroguide

fcoutret

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a Vista HCx and am additional map.

City Navigator 2008 NT or Metroguide 2008.

Garmin website says Metroguide has the same coverage as City Navigator but adds automating route calculation....and is cheaper.

I think the Vista HCx can do automatic route calculation but I'm not even sure.

So I'm confused about which map to chose.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Frederick

Welcome to the Forums! :D

I think most people get CN 2008 NT. What I read here about Metroguide is that it will autoroute, but only with a hack. Others will respond with more details.

I have that same GPS unit and it auto-routes very well . . . although sometimes I have to interject a little common sense into the mix like when it is routing me into a neighorhood . . . behind the park where the cache is hidden . . . :(

Welcome to the Forums! :D

I think most people get CN 2008 NT. What I read here about Metroguide is that it will autoroute, but only with a hack. Others will respond with more details.

I have that same GPS unit and it auto-routes very well . . . although sometimes I have to interject a little common sense into the mix like when it is routing me into a neighorhood . . . behind the park where the cache is hidden . . . :(

I didn't know that there was a hack. I would pay the extra 20 bucks for Navigator.

I didn't know that there was a hack. I would pay the extra 20 bucks for Navigator.

Not only that, but ponying up the extra $$$ for CN also earns one the privilege of having the maps handcuffed to one GPSr, even if you sell the GPS. Everybody wins! Oops, I mean Garmin wins. The cartographers win. The retailer wins. The customer loses, but hey, as good customers it is our duty to continue buying the same product over and over. It's our duty as a citizen, or so I am told.

CN is locked software. Locked software is (to quote Mike Meyers): "e-vil, as in fru-its of the de-vil."

Massaging MG is not for everyone. It works well for me and it's why I spent my hard-won money on MGNAv8.

Not only that, but ponying up the extra $$$ for CN also earns one the privilege of having the maps handcuffed to one GPSr, even if you sell the GPS. Everybody wins! Oops, I mean Garmin wins. The cartographers win. The retailer wins. The customer loses, but hey, as good customers it is our duty to continue buying the same product over and over. It's our duty as a citizen, or so I am told.

CN is locked software. Locked software is (to quote Mike Meyers): "e-vil, as in fru-its of the de-vil."

Massaging MG is not for everyone. It works well for me and it's why I spent my hard-won money on MGNAv8.

I guess if you know how to do it then more power to you. I actually have both. I bought Metroguide with my Legend. Then I use City Select with my 60CS. I guess if my 60CS breaks I'll have to research how to make Metroguide work. I still think it's a ripoff that they don't let you buy that option with Metroguide. So I agree with you. As soon as there is a better option it's bye-bye forever to software locked to one GPS even if you sell it. Even with Windows you can call MS and re-register it to another machine if the original machine dies.

I guess if my 60CS breaks I'll have to research how to make Metroguide work. I still think it's a ripoff that they don't let you buy that option with Metroguide. So I agree with you. As soon as there is a better option it's bye-bye forever to software locked to one GPS even if you sell it.

Just search the forum for "metrowizzz" and start waving bye-bye... :unsure:

I guess if my 60CS breaks I'll have to research how to make Metroguide work. I still think it's a ripoff that they don't let you buy that option with Metroguide. So I agree with you. As soon as there is a better option it's bye-bye forever to software locked to one GPS even if you sell it.

Thanks! It would actually be cool to load my Legend with the Topo maps and route with those. :unsure:

Thanks! It would actually be cool to load my Legend with the Topo maps and route with those. :unsure:

Unfortunately, if you have a black and white Legend, it won't autoroute no matter what you do. The unit just isn't capable of it.

Metrowizz tweaks the map, not the GPSr. It would allow you to autoroute with Metroguide on, say, a Legend C or another GPSr that's autorouting capable.

Unfortunately, if you have a black and white Legend, it won't autoroute no matter what you do. The unit just isn't capable of it.

Metrowizz tweaks the map, not the GPSr. It would allow you to autoroute with Metroguide on, say, a Legend C or another GPSr that's autorouting capable.

Darn. I thought the Legend was capable. I guess I could load my topos on my 60CS to try it out.

I have purchased copies of Metroguide for the US and Europe as well as Topo that I purchased for my first gen Legend. I'm now looking at upgrading to an Hcx for the better sensitivity, so I have a couple of questions:

Any reason my old Metroguide software won't work with the new GPS?

There is a mention of software that will enable the autorouting on the new GPS with old maps. Anyone tried that?

Thanks!