etrex legend

cda1

the blue one

Next question/s <grin>

Are you using the original serial cable?

Connecting to a serial port?

Connecting to a PC?

Window xx?

If you're using a USB/Serial adapter have you downloaded drivers for the device?

What interface mode is the Legend in (Menu->Main->Setup->Interface->Garmin/NMEA In/Out?

Hmmmm, trying to remember if you have to be a Premium Member to 'Send To GPS'???

JohnTee

I have a Legend Hcx and bought a 1g micro card. I have loaded all drivers and all software is up and running. I have also upgraded to a premium membership at Geocashing.com. I went to the geocashing.com website, located the cashes I was after, clicked the "send to my garmin" box, had no problems (no error messages), but now that I have unpluged my gps and looked for the uploaded info it is nowhere to be found. Am I looking in the wrong place or not doing something correctly?

I did find them, but, they are in my "waypoints" section and not my "goecash" section of my menu. Is that something I did or am I still not doing it right.

:blink: thanks for the welcome, I don't mean to be so dry :laughing:

I have the same GPSr and have seen the same issue. When downloading through the Garmin send to GPS addin some do automagically end up in waypoints while others end up in geocaches (both under find). I don't think it is something that you are doing wrong. And the kicker is that I've deleted the waypoints from the GPSr and reloaded via the addin and they (sometimes) end up in the correct folder. Go figure...

I went and got GSAK a couple weeks ago and have been experimenting / learning that program. It looks very promising.

Happy Caching!

I also have a new Legend (blue) and am using WinXP. I could not get the download to work at all, and I also occasionally would get a screen on the Legend that consisted of a single vertical blue line that I could not get away from without removing and reinstalling the batteries (I call it the "blue line of death", similar to the PC Blue Screen of Death).

I called Garmin support and found out that:

1)The blue line of death is caused by a software glitch when the WAAS is enabled and that they are working on a software fix for it (soon???).

2)The download problem is related to the fact that the Legend is working off of the Serial port (how antiquated is that?) and the download applet gets confused because it is looking for a USB port to use. Another thing Garmin is planning on fixing (soon????).

I am pretty fed up with the unit... evidently Garmin uses the same people to QC their software as Microsoft does (its user base).

Any suggestions?

I did find them, but, they are in my "waypoints" section and not my "goecash" section of my menu. Is that something I did or am I still not doing it right.

;) thanks for the welcome, I don't mean to be so dry B)

I have the same GPSr and have seen the same issue. When downloading through the Garmin send to GPS addin some do automagically end up in waypoints while others end up in geocaches (both under find). I don't think it is something that you are doing wrong. And the kicker is that I've deleted the waypoints from the GPSr and reloaded via the addin and they (sometimes) end up in the correct folder. Go figure...

I went and got GSAK a couple weeks ago and have been experimenting / learning that program. It looks very promising.

Happy Caching!

I also have a new Legend (blue) and am using WinXP. I could not get the download to work at all, and I also occasionally would get a screen on the Legend that consisted of a single vertical blue line that I could not get away from without removing and reinstalling the batteries (I call it the "blue line of death", similar to the PC Blue Screen of Death).

1)The blue line of death is caused by a software glitch when the WAAS is enabled and that they are working on a software fix for it (soon???).

2)The download problem is related to the fact that the Legend is working off of the Serial port (how antiquated is that?) and the download applet gets confused because it is looking for a USB port to use. Another thing Garmin is planning on fixing (soon????).

I am pretty fed up with the unit... evidently Garmin uses the same people to QC their software as Microsoft does (its user base).

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Forums! ;)

I would use EasyGPS to send the waypoints, downloaded either individually from the cache page, or from the Search pages.

An ultimately more efficient way to go is to become a Premium Member so you can get Pocket Queries. Those contain as many as 500 caches in .gpx format. Using a program like GSAK greatly simplifies sending several hundred waypoints to the GPSr at one time, each of them with a custom, useful-to-you waypoint name. If you have a PDA, you can send all the cache info to that so you can cache "paperless."

Thanks for the EasyGPS suggestion... downloaded it and then grabbed the waypoints and downloaded them as well. Nice program.

I'll look into the Premium membership... if I continue with this bug it will make sense. Right now I'm using this as a good excuse to find new places to visit and find "treasure" with my twin 4-yr old grandsons (and maybe even my 15 year old son!).

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Forums! ;)

I would use EasyGPS to send the waypoints, downloaded either individually from the cache page, or from the Search pages.

An ultimately more efficient way to go is to become a Premium Member so you can get Pocket Queries. Those contain as many as 500 caches in .gpx format. Using a program like GSAK greatly simplifies sending several hundred waypoints to the GPSr at one time, each of them with a custom, useful-to-you waypoint name. If you have a PDA, you can send all the cache info to that so you can cache "paperless."

i have an etrex legend trying to download places to find some caches im new so im lost.

i can conect to garman website but when i try to download a place it wont let me . it says somethinglike cant read card . please help

Hello, im having the same problem,..please let me know if you find an answer and I will be sure to do the same. Thanks!

i have an etrex legend trying to download places to find some caches im new so im lost.

i can conect to garman website but when i try to download a place it wont let me . it says somethinglike cant read card . please help

Hello, im having the same problem,..please let me know if you find an answer and I will be sure to do the same. Thanks!

Having the same problem. It will download waypoints on my laptop...But not my desktop computer...Still trying to figure it out

Edited by oakie10us