Cache of Corpses

ChiefWings

Here is a map of the area in case you are looking for the cache.

Porcupine County

Hello. I'm the novelist who wrote "Cache of Corpses." Sometime in the new year there will be a new map on my web site (http://henrykisor.com) by the same artist, and it will show the waypoints of the caches mentioned in the novel. I should point out, however, that although the waypoints are real, the caches are fictional. You won't find anything there except for some lovely scenery.

Porcupine County

Hello. I'm the novelist who wrote "Cache of Corpses." Sometime in the new year there will be a new map on my web site (http://henrykisor.com) by the same artist, and it will show the waypoints of the caches mentioned in the novel. I should point out, however, that although the waypoints are real, the caches are fictional. You won't find anything there except for some lovely scenery.

First, congratulations on ALL of your books.

I think it is fantastic you found geocaching fascinating enough to involve it in a mystery/suspense plot. You are combining two of my hobbies!

:yikes:

Second, I should think it a "novel" idea if you were to actually PLACE the caches there for us to find and log. Perhaps placing an autographed copy of Cache of Corpses as a FTF prize. (Its a mystery to me that you haven't!)

Porcupine County

Hi TwoCrow,

Wow! The author! And your first post! ;)

I enjoyed your writing and Deputy Martinez … I plan to read the first two in the series.

I liked the line: “She didn’t strike me as having a geocacher’s kind of intelligence.” :o

Thanks for the story.

...that although the waypoints are real, the caches are fictional.
:santa:

:yikes: Glad to hear that. :yikes:

Second, I should think it a "novel" idea if you were to actually PLACE the caches there for us to find and log. Perhaps placing an autographed copy of Cache of Corpses as a FTF prize. (Its a mystery to me that you haven't!)

Great idea but PLEASE use a different type cache container! :yikes::yikes:

How about a lead-lined casket? ;)

Seriously, that's a great idea, to cache an autographed copy of the book somewhere. When I get back to Upper Michigan next summer, I'll see if I can smoke out a really cool place for a cache.

I had great fun finding places for the seven caches in the novel.

Great idea but PLEASE use a different type cache container! :yikes::yikes:

How about a lead-lined casket? ;)

Seriously, that's a great idea, to cache an autographed copy of the book somewhere. When I get back to Upper Michigan next summer, I'll see if I can smoke out a really cool place for a cache.

Great idea but PLEASE use a different type cache container! :yikes:;)

How about a lead-lined casket? :o

That would be fantastic! I will set up a pocket query to search for new caches set by your User ID.

In the mean time...I'll head back to Barnes & Noble and see if I can find a copy or two of your stuff!

Got my copy at a local Mom/Pop book store. I love the convenience of shopping on the internet but the old hippie/rebel in me makes me get out and drive by chain stores and wally worlds to the locally owned stores. Book store, hobby shop, hardware, sandwich shops, etc … I don’t want to see them go away. I know some folks don’t have a choice within a realist driving distance but I try to do my small part.

The closest I’ve been to the UP is near the Alpena County Regional Airport for military training a few times over many years. I’ve looked at GE and think I could catch a SA hop in the future to get to the UP for caches planted by TwoCrow.

But how do I set up a PQ for new caches set for a User ID? I’m only 9 months old in caching years. I got hooked on TC very early and have spent a lot of time over there.

What is it about Michigan's Upper Peninsula and murdering geocachers????? Just kidding. It sounds like a very good book. I'll be buying a copy after the holiday crush is over.

I recently finished Abomination by Colleen Coble. (Also about murder and geocaches in Michigan's UP). Gideon (the main character) even created a series of caches in Michigan, with a puzzle bonus cache if you complete them all. First 50 cachers who complete the series get a copy of the book and the first 75 get a free coin. There are a few spots left for the prizes.

Here's the final cache - Swan Song.

Here's Gideon's profile which has more info.

Windrose

Edited by Windrose

TwoCrow, congrats on the book, looks like one I'll have to find and read. Lately, been reading all my old Louis LaMour before leaving them in caches (bagged in plastic, of course).

Don't get up to the UP anymore. Shucks, I haven't been north of Denver in over two years, guess I'm getting old running this dedicated stuff. I do miss the scenery up there.

I have been working on a rough outline for a caching book, not to be published of course...

<sarcasm>Whoa, there! Lets not set out goals so lofty!</sarcasm>

Why wouldn't you go ahead and write as if you intend to publish? You may be surprised with what you create.

I agree! Many fine books have started out as a private project for the eyes of the writer only. I'd love to see what Tabulator32 comes up with.

I have been working on a rough outline for a caching book, not to be published of course...

<sarcasm>Whoa, there! Lets not set out goals so lofty!</sarcasm>

Why wouldn't you go ahead and write as if you intend to publish? You may be surprised with what you create.

I agree! Many fine books have started out as a private project for the eyes of the writer only. I'd love to see what Tabulator32 comes up with.

So would I, frankly. I'm certain I've had thousands of inspirations but I have the perseverance of a mosquito when it comes to writing and have never made it past a few pages into a story.

I would do better to stick with my day job.

:santa::D

Anyway, I'm sure there are tens of thousands of highly-publishable "manuscripts" sitting in dresser drawers and filing cabinets and book shelves which writers never considered allowing other eyes to see. I was just saying it is people like TwoCrow who see it through to the end and make it happen which have filled my childhood and my remaining rainy days with good stuff to read. On sunny days, of course, I go caching.

Ok, I am almost done with Season's Revenge, and I am really enjoying it. You can tell Steve has the heart of a geocacher from the line on pg. 18 about always saving little containers like Sucrets tins and film canisters. We have a whole crate full of stuff like that just in case we get the urge to hide something. I went ahead and ordered A Venture into Murder and Cache of Corpses...they should arrive sometime next week. I'm certainly looking forward to reading them!

Porcupine County

Fictional names for real places, BTW. The map shows the area around the Porkupine Mountans State Park. Porcupine City would actually be Ontonagan. Beautiful country! I spent a part of my life up in the U.P. as a boy and young man and since I have family up there, get up there at least once or twice a year. I'll have to check out the books mentioned in this thread!

(The old book & movie "Anatomy of a Murder" was also written and filmed in the U.P., btw)

By the way, the actual cache "The Road Starts/Stops Here" in zip code 49953 is featured in the novel. It was part of the inspiration to write the book. My thanks to the person who cached it.

We received an email today from a cacher and it lead us to this thread about the book "Cache of Corpses" To say the least we are completely flabbergasted! Who knows what adventures geocaching can lead to! We never thought a novel would be any part of it and a cache of ours to boot!

We can say this much... we will certainly keep our caches up to date as much as we can especially this one with it's new notoriety! We can also thank TwoCrow.... Thanks TwoCrow!

GCGE8G is the cache and it is a micro as there is not a place for a full size. We placed this cache back in 2003 and it's just about 100 miles from our home. 101 logged visits on the page and 91 finds.

I will have to read the book as they say!

poikää es butterfly

And the second, what made you choose the user name "TwoCrow"?

I'm not the author :P , but I found these references to "Two Crow" on Amazon.com (where you can also buy the books):

Amazon.com phrase search on "Two Crow"

--Larry

Well, those certainly answers the question about where "TwoCrow" came from.

As for the other question, I haven't been geocaching in a couple of years, owing to a bad back that keeps me from hiking in the woods as I used to. But I still use GPS navigation in my little old two-seater airplane -- in fact, my GPS of choice for aviating is a hiker's model, a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. I bought it to do research for "Cache of Corpses," using it to find all the waypoints where bodies were buried in the novel. It was so useful that it became a fixture in my airplane, even though it does not have an aviation database -- I still must employ aviation charts to keep myself away from tall radio towers and forbidden airspace and the like.

And the second, what made you choose the user name "TwoCrow"?

I'm not the author :P , but I found these references to "Two Crow" on Amazon.com (where you can also buy the books):

Amazon.com phrase search on "Two Crow"

--Larry

Well, those certainly answers the question about where "TwoCrow" came from.

As for the other question, I haven't been geocaching in a couple of years, owing to a bad back that keeps me from hiking in the woods as I used to. But I still use GPS navigation in my little old two-seater airplane -- in fact, my GPS of choice for aviating is a hiker's model, a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. I bought it to do research for "Cache of Corpses," using it to find all the waypoints where bodies were buried in the novel. It was so useful that it became a fixture in my airplane, even though it does not have an aviation database -- I still must employ aviation charts to keep myself away from tall radio towers and forbidden airspace and the like.

Very cool! Sorry if I am being a bother, but I have one question more... how did you know to come here and chime in? Did you do a Google search at random, and saw that this had some stuff about your book? Or, have you just been "lurking" in forums ever since you heard about Geocaching? Just curious.

Edited by Arndtwe

Very cool! Sorry if I am being a bother, but I have one question more... how did you know to come here and chime in? Did you do a Google search at random, and saw that this had some stuff about your book? Or, have you just been "lurking" in forums ever since you heard about Geocaching? Just curious.

I knew about Groundspeak from the beginning since that is where I went to learn about geocaching back in 2005 when work began on the book, and that's where I found out about the caches in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that got me started. The forums helped me a great deal.

Of course I hoped that geocachers would find out about the novel and become interested in it. And so I joined Google News and asked it to let me know every time the term "Cache of Corpses" was mentioned in the news, on the Web, or in blogs. It tipped me off about the existence of this thread.

Isn't the Internet wonderful?

Hmmm...just like Steve in the book (the use of the GPS, not the bad back)..

I finished Season's Revenge (my first book for 2008...I have been keeping lists every year since I was in college), and it was great. Now I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the other two in the series.

What is it about Michigan's Upper Peninsula and murdering geocachers????? Just kidding. It sounds like a very good book. I'll be buying a copy after the holiday crush is over.

I recently finished Abomination by Colleen Coble. (Also about murder and geocaches in Michigan's UP). Gideon (the main character) even created a series of caches in Michigan, with a puzzle bonus cache if you complete them all. First 50 cachers who complete the series get a copy of the book and the first 75 get a free coin. There are a few spots left for the prizes.

Here's the final cache - Swan Song.

Here's Gideon's profile which has more info.

Windrose

Winters are long and we get bored??? :laughing:

Winters are long and we get bored??? :laughing:

I once heard somebody say that there was nothing to do in the UP during the winter except move snow, drink, and make love. Maybe "murder one's enemies" ought to be added to that! :-)

One of these days I will have to do a novel involving drive-bys on snowmobiles . . .

I recently finished Abomination by Colleen Coble. (Also about murder and geocaches in Michigan's UP).

Windrose

Ok, I'm starting to worry about us up here! This book isn't about caching but the author is a cacher...from the UP no less-

Superior Death by Matthew Williams

I read the book and liked it overall but the logical leap the lead character makes from corpses to caches is just what it says in the book (I paraphrase) "a coincidence that only happens in dime-store mysteries."

The character was refering to a different aspect of it, but it holds true anyway.

If the mutlicache-clue had been decoded beforehand...at least enough to know the digits and the sequence, then maybe the leap would have made more sense, but not the way things happend in the book. At the point in the story where he makes the leap there just hasn't been enough revealed to leap to geocached dead bodies.

I did like the overall character development though, and the ending was great.

I read the book and gave copies as Christmas gifts to a couple of caching buddies. Now I have to had Michigan's UP to my list of "must vist" places. I admit to being such a geek I had my maps out as I read the book. Overall enjoyed the book. Glad to see my detective work had it figured out Two Crows who found a couple caches in the area is indeed the author.

Winters are long and we get bored??? :)

I once heard somebody say that there was nothing to do in the UP during the winter except move snow, drink, and make love. Maybe "murder one's enemies" ought to be added to that! :-)

One of these days I will have to do a novel involving drive-bys on snowmobiles . . .

I learned a long time ago ... never play cards with nor try to out drink anyone from a place that is frozen most of the year. :unsure:

TwoCrow,

I've “released" my copy of Cache of Corpses on Bookcrossing.com. You can follow it’s journey on that site if you like. I’m ChiefWings over there too.

I took the book to the “Creekside Campout & Chili Extravaganza” (GC176WQ) yesterday and gave it to a friend. This inspired some of the other cachers at the event to buy the book. :)

We haven't read the book but this post reminded me of our road trip to Colorado. It seems a cache had to be archived because a decapitated woman was found VERY close to the cache...some psycho running loose in Kansas. :antenna::laughing:

Well, gentlemen, thanks for promoting the book with cachers! It makes me feel I got something right in it if genuine cachers have enjoyed it.

I am a little concerned, however, that next summer some unexplained corpses are going to turn up in the woods near my cabin in the U.P. Come to think of it, they do. People go missing in the woods all the time, especially during the winter.

TwoCrow

I recently finished Abomination by Colleen Coble. (Also about murder and geocaches in Michigan's UP).

That would be me! Wow, two books about murder and geocaching in the U.P.! AND obviously being written at the same time since mine came out in August and this one in November. Mine is set near the Porkies, up by the Keweenaw. We novelists joke that ideas are just hovering in the air waiting to be plucked out. Sometimes we pluck at the same time. :anibad:

My husband and I love geocaching. We travel a lot with my writing and we take the Garmin wherever we go. We're going to Orlando in July and hope to take in some caches there, but we'll have to go early or late with the heat!

Since this got bumped...

I enjoyed the book, but less for the caching and much more for the characters and the tremendous local color (Michigan's Upper Peninsula). It made me want to live up there even more than I do. The author does justice to the methods and ethics of cachers. The integration of geocaching into the plot was a little bit of a stretch, I thought, though it's sad to say it's not entirely implausible.

It's quite gruesome, though not exceedingly violent. I want to call it a rural 'CSI', but it's far more realistic, not so preposterous.

Since this got bumped...

I enjoyed the book, but less for the caching and much more for the characters and the tremendous local color (Michigan's Upper Peninsula). It made me want to live up there even more than I do. The author does justice to the methods and ethics of cachers. The integration of geocaching into the plot was a little bit of a stretch, I thought, though it's sad to say it's not entirely implausible.

It's quite gruesome, though not exceedingly violent. I want to call it a rural 'CSI', but it's far more realistic, not so preposterous.

I've never heard of this book but will definitely check it out for all the reasons Dinoprophet stated. Sounds like it's right up my alley! Thanks for mentioning it. <_<

I just finished reading “Cache of Corpses” by Henry Kisor. It’s a quick read and interesting to see caching used in a mystery.

Chapter 1: http://www.tor-forge.com/Excerpt.aspx?isbn=9780765317803

Has anyone else read it?

I finally got a chance to read it and definitely enjoyed it! Will definitely watch for others by Henry Kisor! (wow! just noticed he's chiming in here too so thanks for an enjoyable book!!! [:rolleyes:] ) Didn't realize it was part of a series. May have to check out the other 2 now. (I am starting Abomination by Colleen Coble next though as I don't have the other ones by Kisor yet!)

Porcupine County

Places with lovely scenery? Seems like good locations to place some caches.

It would also be really interesting to create an elaborate multpart puzzle cache that is based on the storyline of the book. There is a very elaborate puzzle cache based on Neal Stepensons "Cryptonomicon" that is easily the most difficult and interesting puzzle cache I have solved.