Muggled!

vw_k

Just feel like sharing some anger with you guys, I've just had this picture posted on one of my cache pages with a DNF log, it looks like it's the remains of my caches magnetic "keysafe" container that has been forcefully snapped into pieces!

The cache in question is placed near to and named after a tree that is estimated to be 1000 years old and has an interesting history, earlier this year the tree (which is completely hollow) was set on fire by vandals, and now this.

Why can't these vandals do something more constructive with their energy, like geocaching? :)

Has anyone else had their cache or cache location vandalised?

18ff5a43-3f2c-43ef-8da2-0df7dd25cac3.jpg

Edited by vw_keychain

Just feel like sharing some anger with you guys, I've just had this picture posted on one of my cache pages with a DNF log, it looks like it's the remains of my caches magnetic "keysafe" container that has been forcefully snapped into pieces!

The cache in question is placed near to and named after a tree that is estimated to be 1000 years old and has an interesting history, earlier this year the tree (which is completely hollow) was set on fire by vandals, and now this.

Why can't these vandals do something more constructive with their energy, like geocaching? :)

Has anyone else had their cache or cache location vandalised?

18ff5a43-3f2c-43ef-8da2-0df7dd25cac3.jpg

Times like this is when we could use a Virtual <_< ! But, those are no longer an option :rolleyes:

Lots of caches have been muggled. I had one not long ago where they dumped the contents on the ground and stole the ammo can. I also recently replaced one for a local cacher who was temporarily disabled (she broke BOTH ankles!). Someone had stolen one of her caches. I stocked an ammo can with swag, a pen, and a new log and put it out to replace her stolen cache.

It happens. It stinks. Such is life.

It happens, but fortunately not often.

Two funny muggle stories:

I had an ammo can in the woods behind a local ball field. After about 6 months of regularly being found I get a DNF. I go look and it's gone. I return the next day with a replacement and it's back, hidden correctly and swag intact. Maybe 2 months later a reporter calls me and wants to do a story on geocaching. I take him to this cache and it's gone again! I go back two days later to replace it, and it's back, with a note inside apologizing, from a Mom who said that her son brought it home and she told him to put it back!

We went to an event that included a caching hike up a mountain featuring seven caches. The third one up the trail was a travel bug hotel. We went off in five groups of five spaced fifteen minutes apart. The first three groups found the TB hotel, the fourth group found all the TBs and the log on the ground - between groups someone stole the ammo box! Pretty brazen considering how many folks we had gong up and down the trail that day!

And, over the years we've had two crapped in - one on an island in south AL and one, a TB Hotel, in the parking lot of a Cracker Barrel!

The best thing about geocaching is that it's open to anyone... the worst thing about geocaching is - that it's open to anyone!

I had an ammo can in the woods behind a local ball field. After about 6 months of regularly being found I get a DNF. I go look and it's gone. I return the next day with a replacement and it's back, hidden correctly and swag intact. Maybe 2 months later a reporter calls me and wants to do a story on geocaching. I take him to this cache and it's gone again! I go back two days later to replace it, and it's back, with a note inside apologizing, from a Mom who said that her son brought it home and she told him to put it back!

It is very refreshing to see a responsible parent :rolleyes:

It is very refreshing to see a responsible parent :rolleyes:

That's something I love about this game!

I spent ten years as a Case Monitor for our Department of Youth Services with not a single responsible parent in sight, and watching the families interact and play this game has refreshed my appreciation and recognition that far more parents are 'good' than 'bad'.

Of course, it's always good to remember that kids generally turn out okay despite our parenting!

I'm sure we have all had caches come up missing. I know I have. Looks like the lawn mower got ahold of the key holder. :rolleyes:
Sounds like a great guess.

That's my guess. Often missing and ruined caches are the victims of cache vandals. Sometimes it's something as simple as the cache being knocked lose from it's hiding place by animals, winds, whatever and

getting run over by a lawn mower.

I had one cache where I kept cursing the finders for leaving it out in the open, then I finally realized that the cache was blocking the burrow entrance of some animal.

And, over the years we've had two crapped in - one on an island in south AL and one, a TB Hotel, in the parking lot of a Cracker Barrel!

Can people not see that a cache is something that someone will be handling and opening?

At least this can't happen with micros, There are irresponsible dog owners of course, but that's another rant for another topic!

I've come across one muggled cache, and had one of mine that took a ton of work muggled after just one find. :santa:

But, I've also had several logs in mine, and read logs in others from people who just happened to find the cache, read the stash note, sign the log, and put it all back. Not every muggle is bad. :D

If a cache is muggled (or even found by muggles) then it wasn't hidden well enough. don't give up, come up with better camo, or a better spot, and try again. :santa:

We often hear of desperate cases like this..one must learn to put up with the misfortunes of this world and endevor to carry on,even if the said cache is never found..most people learn to manage and after a while even recover so fully as to place a new cache .. so be brave and open your eyes to the new scene thats opening up befor us....lol..

Edited by team lagonda

Can people not see that a cache is something that someone will be handling and opening?

At least this can't happen with micros, There are irresponsible dog owners of course, but that's another rant for another topic!

Micors aren't safe from this sort of thing either. I once found a waterproof match safe micro that someone had wizzed in. Waterproof from the inside too. Jerk! That one put me off caching for awhile, since we had a known cache maggot in the area at the time. I don't know what ever happened to the maggot. Haven't heard from him in months. Hopefully he got bored and gave it up, as we refused to discuss his thefts, desecrations and vandalisms on the forums.