Rules for claiming a "Find" on Revisited Caches

Highcountryhikers

Technically you can claim another find on any cache at any time if you feel OK with it and the cache owner lets you do it.

Personally, I only claim another smiley if it is a traveling cache or if the cache placement, type, or location has changed significantly which makes it, essentially, a different finding experience.

The time passing has nothing to do with it. In the past few months I've been going to caches I've visited before with a couple of new cachers. Probably about 200 or so of them. I've not, and will not, claim a find on any of them even though some of them were a real booger to find again. Some I had not been to in over 2 years and the environment had changed considerable in that amount of time - not to mention the "placement drift effect."

There are no rules regarding what is a "find" in this sport. The generally accepted practice however is one find per cache and if you re-visit it, you log a note mentioning your visit.

If the cache is moved by the owner and he wants to allow re-finds, that is between you and the owner. The owner will usually mention this on the page if it's OK with him. If not, you can ask.

I don't know why anybody would even WANT to log multiple finds on the same cache (moving caches aside), unless their goal is numbers pumping.

I have always understood that if you haven't visited a cache in over a year, or if the cache container has been moved by the owner, you are allowed to claim another find (thus qualify for another smilie :back: ). Is that true?

Welcome to the Forums! :back:

Hmmmm! I wonder where that idea came from. :mad: I agree that "I don't know why anybody would even WANT to log multiple finds on the same cache (moving caches aside), unless their goal is numbers pumping." If this were generally accepted in the Geocaching community, I would have almost 200 additional smilies since I have revisited many caches while caching and hiking with friends.

For us, it's simple. One GC# = 1 Find

The exception would be that if the owner replaced it with a new one, moved it to a new location, and noted on the cache page that previous finders can come and find it again in it's new location for another find.

But that is so rare, we haven't come across that yet in the 9 months we have been caching.

Time frame would have nothing to do with it.

While there is clearly no "rule" my own personal belief is: 1 GC# = 1 and only 1 find.

Yup, same here. I think that is a great rule of thumb.

However, a look at my stats will show that there are two less "unique" hides than found logs. This was on one cache that moved (but not a moving cache) - the first time, .24 from the original spot with a new container, the second time .26 from the second spot, different hide and container again.

Edit add: In my first year of caching I took an additional "smiley credit" for solving a puzzle or answering a question, et cetera, as offered on cache pages (seemed a popular option back then). Then, I did not know any better. However, I have long since removed the "extra" smiley for those types by changing the log from "found" to "note."

Personally, if I move a cache more than 528 feet and use a new container, I archive the old cache cache and submit a new cache listing, since I truly think such a move is a different and unique container. I feel this type of responsible cache ownership takes away the angst/worry/moral/ethical concerns of finders.

Edited by Jeep_Dog

For us, it's simple. One GC# = 1 Find

The exception would be that if the owner replaced it with a new one, moved it to a new location, and noted on the cache page that previous finders can come and find it again in it's new location for another find.

But that is so rare, we haven't come across that yet in the 9 months we have been caching.

Time frame would have nothing to do with it.

I would add that if should also have a new GC number.

When I move one of my caches because of a problem with muggles it retains the same GC number and cache name. If some one logs it a second time I delete the log. :rolleyes:

I have never heared of visiting a cache after one year has past to log it again. :(

I have always understood that if you haven't visited a cache in over a year, or if the cache container has been moved by the owner, you are allowed to claim another find (thus qualify for another smilie :rolleyes: ). Is that true?

This seems like an odd question coming from someone that's cached for a few years and have over 600 finds. stirthepot.gif