Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer: Cointest

tsunrisebey

Happy New Year everyone!

:(

I'm sure most of you don't remember this but a couple months back, I lost a Theology professor (Sister Annette) to breast cancer. She had fought the disease for 11 years. She was loved by all the students and faculty for her ability to really listen to what you had to say, her caring way, and to her willingness to be very open-minded. She has been missed. I mentioned that I was going to run in the Susan G. Komen Race in her honor this year. I fully intend to keep that promise that I made to myself and to Sister Annette

I've given away geocoins like candy over the past year and it's been fun and it's also been a learning experience. This year I want to do something a little more meaningful and purposeful in my cointests and to try and encourage a few more coin releases while I'm at it.

Now let me tell you that I am not a runner, I hate running! I love to hike and walk and that's where it ends. So, this is not an easy feat for me. Not to mention that I have a pretty nasty lifetime injury (I'll keep this private) that makes running even more difficult for me but I really want to push myself; my mental and physical limits. I'll be starting my training tomorrow (Jan. 2nd) for the full 5K run on May 17th, 2008 here in Helena. My goal is to finish the race (not to win, lol). I'm hoping that my school will sponsor me in my endeavor :(

So how does this involve you? Well maybe you know a survivor, someone who succumbed to their battle with breast cancer or just heard about someone who had/has it. I'm also running this race with another person in mind (I'm sure some of you will know who I am talking about). I'm hoping to shed just a little more awareness on the subject and inspire you to do just a little something extra this year, no matter how simple and I will need a little motivation/inspiration throughout the next 4 1/2 months to keep me going. I know there are going to be days that I don't want to train, so I'm asking for your help in posting/emailing an occasional 'did you run today?', 'how's the training coming along?' etc. (Thanks in advance).

The cointest will work as follows;

1. You will have to activate a trackable coin

2. The activation date starts today and the last date for entries is May 1st, 2008

3. You can enter up to 3 coins for this cointest

4. When you activate your coin, the goal of the coin must be in relation to breast cancer or cancer (for example: you can dedicate it to a person you know of that is fighting cancer, someone who passed away from cancer, in honor of all breast cancer survivors, or if you can't think of anything you could dedicate to the Race for the Cure and good luck to me :rolleyes:, as long as the mission has to do with the Race for the Cure, breast cancer or cancer.

5. It must be released into a cache and travel from cache to cache (not something that will stay in your collection or just be 'discovered'). The idea here is to get some coins out and moving.

6. Upon activation of your coin(s), please post a link to your coin page here or email me the link. I will put them on my watch list. I will also display/update the geocaching id's of participants as we go along.

7. No you can not change a mission of an already activated coin to this one (for purposes of this cointest).

8. I reserve the right to change/add any rules do to unforeseen cirumstances/questions that arise as needed.

9. There will be 3 winners picked after I run the race (within the next couple days). I do not have any particular criteria right now. I do like creativity. I may chose one that travels the farthest distance. I may have a random drawing and have my niece and nephew pick winners, who knows. Just make your coin releases meaningful :laughing:

Soooooo, I suppose you would like to know what you are actually 'cointesting' for? Well technically for a good cause but on the coin side of things, it is kind of a surprise. It is something in the works and should be done arond late March to mid-April. It's not too difficult to figure out with a little research. The 1st place winner will win the complete set. 2nd and 3rd place will win at least 1 coin but maybe more, it all depends on what my final decision is come time for minting.

Ok, I guess that's it for now.... hope to see some coins get activated and missions started in the next few days and over the next 4 1/2 months! Thanks in advance for the support and inspiration I know I'll receive from some of you via emails and here on this thread. I'll need it but more importantly let's find a cure for breast cancer and cancer!

~tsun :D

Well, this seems like the push I need. My mother-in-law passed a few years ago due to breast cancer. I loved :( her very much and miss her. There is an amazing (at least to me!) true story involving geocaching and her passing that I'll share when my TBs are ready to go.

I gotta say, "You go, Girl!!" :laughing:

Great Contest and great will for you T-sun! That'll mean alot to you in many ways, so good luck on your training and thanks for the race!

May you travel well for Sister Annette and may the coins travel well in the spirit of awareness for this disease!!!

I only know one person who has had to deal with this horrible disease and She won the lottery!!!!!! I believe she is better now, but I am sure it was really scary!

I will be picking a few racers out to join the race in the next day or 2...Wish I was crafty with tags N such as it would be best to have a Breast Cancer awareness description note attached to them all!

I am sure I will learn a thing or 2 in the process of this race, I must say I am pretty ingnorant in the subject as with many I am sure...So this will be a learning experience as well for me.

One thing I have only heard is to be carefull of the deodorant you use- make absolute sure it does not contain Aluminum as with many of the brands out there being the primary ingredient. Use a Glycol based deodorant!- I will see what I can come up with otherwise.

Edited by 007BigD

Email sent to tsunrisebey and will be releasing 2 coins in memory of of two friends we have lost due to cancer. Here are the links of the two coins., and will be adding more info on the pages soon and will be placed in caches soon. Thanks for the cointest tsunrisebey and Congrats on the training and the run. What a sweet person you are. You always have a big heart. That is what we like about you and why we are friends.

1.) http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=gggt8h friend of Geocaching /Team S&B no BS about it

2.) http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=gggt8h non member of Geocaching/Barb

Barry and Val

sweetlife

Thanks for the responses so far! I think I have a person who said she would come to Helena and run with me. I'm getting a firm commitment from her and then either she or I will post. Anyone else is free to run in their state and post it here, I'd consider that an entry (but you need to post a pic w/ the date on it). You're free to come to Helena and run with me too :( I got room for a few folks to stay.

Thanks for the responses so far! I think I have a person who said she would come to Helena and run with me. I'm getting a firm commitment from her and then either she or I will post. Anyone else is free to run in their state and post it here, I'd consider that an entry (but you need to post a pic w/ the date on it). You're free to come to Helena and run with me too :( I got room for a few folks to stay.

:laughing: Well I just got a confirmation that Karma aka dorkfish is coming to Helena to run with me. How cool is that! I'll try to get some pictures of us (or anyone else who decides to run with us (hint hint) after we finish).

:( Well I just got a confirmation that Karma aka dorkfish is coming to Helena to run with me. How cool is that! I'll try to get some pictures of us (or anyone else who decides to run with us (hint hint) after we finish).

Yep, I'm in. I won't be able to start my training until mid February. Anyone know how hard it is to run 5 miles giggling the entire way? lol Might have to train extra hard. I guess I'll have to start running along the Boise River laughing outloud the entire time. Won't I look like a real dork?

Great idea for a cointest Steph :laughing: I can't wait to see the response, I'll be activating some coins shortly & releasing them in Florida. I already have three people in mind. Unfortunately one of them lost their life to the battle.

Way to go Tsun and Karma! I've just returned from holidays 'home' where my aunt is in her final stages of breast/lung cancer. It's been very hard on her family as she has three teenage boys still living at home. I couldn't think of a person who has lived a more wholesome lifestyle...no alcohol, vegetable garden, buffalo and cattle ranch, tons of exercise and fresh air every day and so full of life..it was hard to see her humble acceptance.

In 2005 when she was first diagnosed a friend and I did the 60km Weekend to End Breast Cancer. I can't say that I've ever had such a physical challenge in my life but knowing that you are healthy gives you the will to WALK ON. Later that fall, my 11 year old son and I did our first 5km run together at the CIBC Run for the Cure and it was a great experience and learning lesson for him (he also kept me from stopping to walk!).

I wish both of you the best of luck and I would love to send out a coin or two in my aunt Mary-jean's honour. Love and Light to you both.

Geez Louise, that might be worth the purchase of airfare to see, hehehe!

Thanks for this one, Steph. I'll be releasing a coin in the name of my cousin, Jenny, who died 2 years ago this month from breast cancer. She was not only younger than me, but also younger than my little sister, which makes it hard, I mean, she was just so young :unsure:

Not sure when I'll get to do the release, there is snow on the ground now and we don't go out caching in the snow with the kids, and people generally really slow down here in the winter, but I'll be releasing one as soon as I can!

Naomi :D

Well, cancer has reared it's ugly head many times in my life...many friends lost to this nasty foe!! I'll have to find a few coins which can travel (without worry of them being too "pretty" for someone to pass up if they find it in a cache), I KNOW I can dedicate three coins for this...wish I could enter more!

Tsun, I'd LOVE to join you, but there's no way my knees could handle a 5k run...if you guys would like to walk though...lol!! I'd suggest slowing down on the chocolates (oh, wait...my fault :unsure: ), those will really hinder your training!! You'll have mail as I can remember to write....and I'm in for the cointest!!

Training for these things can be tough, whatever you do, don't burn yourself out before the run!! I did a fund-raiser for Homes for our Troops a few years back where I planned to ride my mountain bike solo from Yellowstone N.P. back to Michigan...burned myself out before I even left home and found it tough to even try to train!! Keep it fun as well as make it work for you!! The Yellowstone trip...only made it to Cody before I quit, but not because of trianing issues!! WEATHER made my trip end short!!

After reading this last night, I thought it was a really neat idea. Here in Maine most of our caches are buried in a whole lot of snow. But I wanted to do something so I checked into the Race for the Cure in Maine and I decided I would participate this year. Ours isn't until September 21 and I discovered there is a variety. They have a 1K fun race, a 5K run/walk, teams and individual.

At first I thought this was to late to help tsunrisebey but then I decided it would just be a way to keep this very important cause in the minds of people all year long. Menace and I have talked about doing this for a few years but never did but we are committed to doing it this year and this summer we will release coins and TB's to remind people about breast cancer.

Sorry we won't be coming to run with you. Our motto is we will go outside of Maine when we have seen all of our own state. We just aren't travelers and like to be in our home every night and we have lots more to see in Maine. With geocaching we are always finding new places to see.

You wanted inspiration and you inspired us to join you by doing the race for the cure in our own state. I wonder how many more cachers will be inspired to at least look into the Susan G. Komen, Race For The Cure in their state.

What a nice way to keep tsunrisebey inspired. Keep the races going all year long.

Stay focused on the reason your doing it then it will make the training bearable. That is what I am going to do.

:D We're off to a small but powerful start! Thanks for the posts and emails w/ some wonderful and touching stories! ~tsun

tsunrisebey:

Running the 5k on May 17th in Helena, MT

1. Remembering Sister Annetter: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1168554

2. In honor of the survivors: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1394604

3. Remembering lives lost: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1178939

sweetlife:

1. Remembering Barb: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=gggt8h

dorkfish:

Running the 5k on May 17th in Helena, MT w/ tsun :unsure: (considered and entry and representing Idaho)

menace66:

Running for Race for the Cure (considered an entry and representing Maine)

Do you have a webpage set up for donations? Usually the event has an area on their website where you log in and create your own page to accept donations.

No I don't. I didn't think that would be allowed here. I will have to check with the mods if it is ok to include a link on the trackable coin page and here. If someone really wants to donate they can always look up Race for the Cure or Susan G. Komen and find the donation page. I will however have 5 specially minted coins (trackable w/icon) that will be put on ebay where 100% of the auction will go toward the goal. I'll post all that when the coins are ready.

I am a firm believer in this concept and movement. ( I've even put breast cancer awareness items in some of my secret missions :unsure: ) Even though I haven't known anyone who has died of breast cancer, I lost an aunt- in- law and my Grandpa to other cancers.. At this time, though, I do have my Mom's half sister suffering with it And my sister- in- law and her cousin. I;ll look in my bag of precious ones to see which ones I am going to release.

My heart has been touched by Breast Cancer too. I spent over 3 years caring for a dear friend who finally lost her battle just before Christmas 2 years ago. There is not a day that I don't think of her and miss her.

I'll be choosing a coin and sending it out in the very near future with a special purpose and message.

Please, please, please get out and get your annual mammograms done (and I am guilty of this myself I admit). And pay attention to any changes or lumps. Susie would be alive today had she not ignored a lump....that became as big as a baseball, before she sought help for it.

Great idea for a cointest, admirable goal for getting out there and training too! I'll try and be one of the "are you keeping up at it" folks.

More later as I ponder this idea further, anne

Well, it would appear that now is the time for this for me more than ever! I want to add a little 'accessory' to the coins that I release. I've looked for them before on ebay but found them to be bidding up to $15 or $20 each. I checked today and found hundreds in a dutch auction for $1.29 each! :) I bought 10, although I won't be releasing that many coins for this . . . at least I don't think I will! :P

This is a wonderful idea! I will be praying for you and your efforts the next several months. Years ago, preparing for a first ski trip to CO, I actually worked up to running 1 mile!!! Yes, I am more of a reader and definitely not a runner. I ran 1 mile that once and never again, even though the ski trip was a blast.

No cancer in our family ever until I lost my favorite aunt to it everywhere in her body. Then, last year, my sister had a self-contained tumor in her breast. The cancer was successfully removed. I am going to figure out how to set up a cache and put an activated coin in it. I have two that I could put tags on, but I need to get some advice on how to do this properly.

Thank you for a wonderful idea that will get me more active in this geocaching and possibly just more active in my exercising endeavors! marilyn

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1372578

I can't enter this one officially into the contest because when I told my Mom about it, I could tell she wanted to hang onto the coin for awhile (I'd already given her the matching numbered magnet). It's a memorial coin for my sister who died on Good Friday '07. Her battle for life started with breast cancer over 10 years ago. I still wanted to list the link here in solidarity with what you're doing, tsunrisebey. Thanks.

Edited by bflylady

Hi

thank you Tsun, to remember us that this kind of hobby can also be a great way of rising awareness on others, unfortunatly, far important matters.

Last year I saw this battle being fought by two friends. One ended very badly and other ended quite well.

I activated one ogf my Endless Knot geocoins which have one of the most positive statements i've see on geocoins.

"Go your way under the sun and enjoy the treasures you find"

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1255511

this coin will be release at the Portugal/Germany Geoevent that will be held at 1 February in Lisbon.

Paulo

My sister and I will be running in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Boise, ID on May 10th. Although my sister has not been diagnosed with breast cancer she has dealt with having to lumps being removed from her breast, and each time the lump comes back her chance of getting breast cancer increases significantly.

I will be getting a coin activated very soon.

Question: Can we release the coin at any time, or do we have to wait until the cut off date?

Good luck with your training!

Oh wowwww........ Good luck to you Steph and Karma and everyone else running in the race! A few year back I walked the Race for the Cure here in Philly... it was amazing.

We have lost people in our family to cancer.... one was my cousin's wife who lost her battle with ovarian cancer, My grandfather passed from it and I know others..... currently a friend of mine's mother is still battling.....

To all those brave souls for fighting and for those that have lost.... You are thought about!!!

Congrats on your decision to race. I wish all of you the best in your training!

I WILL send at least one coin out for this mission.

Thank you!

Sonya

Another inspirational contribution, thank you Tsun.

Old Chinese proverb, a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. You have taken your first step, you are on your journey and you will complete it. Sending positive thoughts to you in your endeavour. When the going gets tough we will all be here willing you onwards.

I have activated a coin for release

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...ea-f2f205bfad74

Sorry - don't know how to make 'links', but hope the above will take you to the coin page.

Hope you are remembering to stretch and warm up properly before training, also do a cool down routine, stay focused and make sure you feed the engine properly ! :anicute:

There are few of us these days who are fortunate enough not to be touched by Cancer in someway.

We lost my Dad's youngest brother in 2006, he was 2 weeks short of his 38th birthday and lost a 9 year battle with a brain tumour.

i have been playing with the idea of releasing a coin or bug in his memory for a while but i am reluctant to release one as i would be very disappointed if it went missing.

I purchased a Copper Scottish Thistle Geocoin to release for him but now that i have it i am reluctant to release it so i am looking to Purchase (as i have very little for trade) another coin or The Silver version of the same coin. If anyone has either of these coins (The Silver would be my first choice) please contact me.

And Tsun, don't push yourself to run the race, some of us are not designed to run (as my physio pointed out to me). In previous years i have Walked the Dublin Women's Mini Marathon for Cancer. 10k only takes 1hour 30 mins so a 5k should only take you 45 mins or so to walk. It is about crossing the finish line not how fast you get there.

Good Luck

Ljay

Depending on my work schedule, I will probably run the Detroit 5K on Team Ford. I couldn't run last year because I was in Mexico, but this year it's looking good. The Race for the Cure is heavily sponsored by Ford, and is very very popular here in the area.

Does anyone else use Nike+ to track their runs? I think it'd be pretty cool to do a geocoin Nike+ Challenge going on.

:P We're off to a small but powerful start! Thanks for the posts and emails w/ some wonderful and touching stories! ~tsun

tsunrisebey:

1. Remembering Sister Annetter: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1168554

2. In honor of the survivors: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1394604

3. Remembering lives lost: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1178939

sweetlife:

1. Remembering Barb: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=gggt8h

dorkfish:

1. Running the 5k on May 17th in Helena, MT w/ tsun B) (considered and entry and representing Idaho)

menace66:

1. Running for Race for the Cure (considered an entry and representing Maine)

The Moop Along:

1. Remembering Anna Rose: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1004081

Carnon Hunter:

1. Dedication to cancer survivors and to those fighting it: <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1344615" target="_blank">http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1344615</a>

PLnauta:

1. Remembering those fighting cancer: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1255511

Thirsty Mick:

1. Cancer Sucks

2. Not-a-Pirhana

Highland Geofairy:

1. Supporting cancer research and funding: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...ea-f2f205bfad74

bluecherry:

1. In memory of Uncle John

2. In memory of my Grandfather

Thanks for the great entries so far and for those of you planning/readying coins to be released B) You can enter a coin or notify me of your intention to race anytime up until May 1st (all covered in the original post).

Thanks for the touching emails, sharing stories and for those who write to keep encouraging me to keep training, lol. I have to admit when some of the emails came in asking me how training was going, I was thinking how did you know Tristin and I were in puppy obedience training (I'm not sure which one of us is being trained, we are just starting that too).

I'll periodically update this page or bump it and I hope to see more coin releases! (Nice coins Dennis).

Edited by tsunrisebey

Wow, I just found this thread and think it is a great idea. My mom is a breast cancer survivor (Thank God). It's been 15 yrs now for her. She went through the whole chemo thing and radiation which was horrible at the time. Other forms of cancer have also hit several other members of my family as well. My grandfather (on my mom's side) died from prostate cancer, my grandmother (on my dad's side) died from what is now believed to have been colon cancer, my dad's sister died from colon cancer, my dad is now battling the same type of colon cancer that killed his sister and probably his mom, and my grandmother (on my mom's side) just had several places of skin cancer removed from her hand, arm, and face.

I just got some poker party coins from the group project that TNT created and I will get some out to send out. I want to title them "ANTE UP TO FIGHT CANCER" in honor of my family survivors and other survivors as well as in memory of everyone who lost their life to cancer. I'll also encourage people to donate or sponsor your run from their pages if you have some info you can send for that?

Good Luck to you and Karma in your training and we wish you all the best.

I just got some poker party coins from the group project that TNT created and I will get some out to send out. I want to title them "ANTE UP TO FIGHT CANCER" in honor of my family survivors and other survivors as well as in memory of everyone who lost their life to cancer.

That's a cute idea. I'm looking through my coins to get some out there and I may just do something similar with some poker coins myself (if you don't mind :rolleyes: )

BooBoo and I will be activating in excess of 10 coins for this great cause. I will try to get them all ready in time so I can take them with me on the 13th :) .

I like your locks . . . wheredo you find them and how much$?

I like those locks too, where from and how much ?

I bought them at Walmart. They came four to a package at a cost of, I believe $6.50.

Edited by Damenace

:blink:We're off to a great but start! Thanks for the posts and emails w/ some wonderful and touching stories! ~tsun

tsunrisebey:

sweetlife:

dorkfish:

1. Running the 5k on May 17th in Helena, MT w/ tsun :anicute: (considered and entry and representing Idaho)

menace66:

1. Running for Race for the Cure (considered an entry and representing Maine)

The Moops:

1. Remembering Anna Rose: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1004081

The Moop Along:

1. Anna Rose Geocoin

Carnon Hunter:

1. Dedication to cancer survivors and to those fighting it:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1344615

PLnauta:

1. Remembering those fighting cancer: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1255511

Thirsty Mick:

1. Cancer Sucks

2. Not-a-Pirhana

Highland Geofairy:

1. Supporting cancer research and funding: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...ea-f2f205bfad74

bluecherry:

1. In memory of Uncle John

2. In memory of my Grandfather

damenace/BooBoo: Official 3 Enteries;

DorkFish's Race For A Cure Geocoin

Tsun's Race For A Cure Geocoin

Susan G Komen Cancer Awareness Maze Geocoin

Damenace/BooBoo Unofficial Enteries:

Susan G Komen Cancer Awareness CCCooperAgency Geocoin

Susan G Komen Cancer Awareness Moun10Girl Geocoin

Susan G Komen Cancer Awareness GeoRendezvous Geocoin

Susan G Komen Cancer Awareness Idaho Geocoinfest Geocoin

Susan G Komen Cancer Awareness Oregon Geocoinfest Geocoin

Susan G Komen Cancer Awareness Lifejacket Geocoin

BluPrizm Unofficial Entry:

Breast Cancer Awareness Geocoin

Thanks for the great entries so far and for those of you planning/readying coins to be released ;) You can enter a coin or notify me of your intention to race anytime up until May 1st (all covered in the original post).

I'll periodically update this page or bump it and I hope to see more coin releases!

Edited by tsunrisebey

Tsun, thank you so much for starting this! I enjoy putting travelers out there but this is different. The idea of getting these coins out there for people to see... for people to read the descriptions and remember just how serious cancer is and the effect it can have on our lives and the lives of loved ones... well, I've gained more satisfaction from putting these together than I have from any other travelers I have out there.

I'll tell you what, I knew I'd had a few people in my life touched by cancer -some of them lost to one form or another of the disease. But until I sat down and listed the names, then talked to my mom to jog my memory, I really hadn't realized how many. So, I began choosing coins for these people and putting the information pages together. I'm now in the process of attaching tags and locks so I can drop them off in caches around the country (assuming the weather cooperates wherever I happen to be over the next few weeks)

Okay, sort them out however you like, but here are the coins I'm releasing:

P1097440.jpg

Susan G. Komen Cancer Awareness Poker Chip #1

Susan G. Komen Cancer Awareness Poker Chip #2

Susan G. Komen Cancer Awareness Poker Chip #3

Ms Belcher's Cancer Awareness Venus Geocoin

Rayvee and Jazbo's Cancer Awareness Geocoin

Mike's Cancer Awareness Dolphin Geocoin

Jeanette's Cancer Awareness Elementary Geocoin

Maw's Memorial Cancer Awareness Venus Geocoin

Jeri's Memorial Cancer Awareness Crystal Fairy Geocoin

Lynn's Cancer Awareness Lost Treasures Geocoin

Grandma's Memorial Cancer Awareness Crystal Ball

Gramps' Memorial Cancer Awareness Dreamcatcher

Doris' Cancer Awareness Endless Cheer Geocoin

Willard's Cancer Awareness Quadcacher Geocoin

Thanks again for the great idea and good luck to you and everyone else participating in a race!

-Jesse