Anza Borrego Desert State Park geocaches

JustRuns

I understand that the Superintendent of the Park has decided to forbid geocaching within the Park and that existing caches will be removed by Park staff. I'm not sure of the reasons but have been told that the Superintendent feels that Geocachers damage the environment as well as historic or archelogical sites.

While there may be a few "bad apples" who geocache it has been my experience that the vast majority treasure and protect the environment. If the concern is that some historical or arecheolgical sites might be damaged it would be reasonable to put some limits on where caches could be placed. I believe that the geocaching moderators already enforce some rules for where caches can be placed. In my opinion banning them outright is an overreaction by the Superintendent.

Geocachers bring a lot of visitors to the Park, I think that is what the Park wants. Geocachers also spend a lot of money in Borrego Springs and surrounding communities. There will be a negative impact on the business community catering to Park visitors if Geocachers do not visit the Park.

There already is talk of setting up a "Pirate" geocaching website to post new caches within the Park. Those will not be "Moderated" and may not be in areas the Park would prefer. The purpose of the "Pirate" site will be to place as many geocaches in the Park as possible to convince the Park Superintendent that it is better to have "reasonable" restrictions on Moderated caches than the alternative Pirate caches.

There already is talk of setting up a "Pirate" geocaching website to post new caches within the Park. Those will not be "Moderated" and may not be in areas the Park would prefer. The purpose of the "Pirate" site will be to place as many geocaches in the Park as possible to convince the Park Superintendent that it is better to have "reasonable" restrictions on Moderated caches than the alternative Pirate caches.

I hope not. Doing that will only be counterproductive.

There is already an active thread discussing this topic HERE.

Not to put too fine of a point on it but the only thing that this would accomplish is to convince the fence sitters that geocachers were jerks who cannot be trusted to follow the rules. We have enough trouble as it is...

(I know that there is another thread for this conversation but I just couldn't let this pass without comment...)