Sharing a GPX file

StarBrand

Maybe Opinionate could comment on this.....

I suspect any sharing of GPX files is still againist the TOU. But just to be clear - if I share my waypoints via the new Colorado wireless sharing - is that a violation of the TOU??

It's one of those "Technically, probably yes" but in reality it's probably fair use since I can already bring a group on a cache hunt using my PDA or print out.

I would imagine it's not allowed. I guess this is similar to PDA beaming which I know is a violation.

Edited to add, I once shared my GPS data with myself. That is I have as a backup GPS a Garmin GPS48 marine unit. And got a garmin GPS 12 for a few dollard at a flee market. With 2 of the 4 pin cables and a null modem/gender changer cable I connected both units togather and transfered the waypoints, routes tracks, config data and even the almanac. That last one was so I wouldn't have to leave the unit on for 20 minutes in the open since it had not been used in some years I imagine.

Edited by trainlove

Our relationship with Garmin allows for an exception to the TOU in this case, so if you and your friend have a Colorado you can share files secure in the knowledge that you are not violating any agreement with Groundspeak. We'll look into clarifying the TOU on this point.

Thanks for the clarification!!!

I am looking forward to my new ultimat GPS unit.

No, "fair use" is a term of copyright law. There is no such concept in license law.

Notice that pocket query GPX files carry no copyright notice.

I could easily be using the wrong term. There is a right of use implied by the license the bounds of which could be termed fair use. However another word for the same thing would work just as well.

Lets say Magellan comes out with this feature and doesn't have Groundspeaks blessing. That's when the concept of "reasonable use" would need to be explored.

Our relationship with Garmin allows for an exception to the TOU in this case, so if you and your friend have a Colorado you can share files secure in the knowledge that you are not violating any agreement with Groundspeak. We'll look into clarifying the TOU on this point.

All relationships are subject to change. If your "relationship" with Garmin evaporates, will all Colorado users have this "exception" grandfathered in?

All relationships are subject to change. If your "relationship" with Garmin evaporates, will all Colorado users have this "exception" grandfathered in?

Yes, if Garmin sleeps with our sister you'll still be able to share waypoints.

Hmmm.....

So... right now, a premium member may not share a PQ with anyone, even another premium member, even if it's just for something as innocent as running a comparison to determine mutually unfound caches.

BUT, if both cachers go out and buy a new GPS, it becomes ok to share PQs, even if one user isn't a premium member?

Yea, that's about the gist of it. Only in this case we're talking about individual caches, not pocket queries. I'd rather not make a big discussion out of this until we have a chance to update the TOU, so for now just do what feeeeeeels right.

You actually said 'files' above, not just 'individual caches':

if you and your friend have a Colorado you can share files secure in the knowledge that you are not violating any agreement with Groundspeak

When giving legal advice, i'd advise you to be more precise in your language.

Hmmm.....

So... right now, a premium member may not share a PQ with anyone, even another premium member, even if it's just for something as innocent as running a comparison to determine mutually unfound caches.

BUT, if both cachers go out and buy a new GPS, it becomes ok to share PQs, even if one user isn't a premium member?

Let me preface my following statements by saying I'm not advocating violating TOU, nor do I do sucha thing myself, but...

Much like the recording industry, Groundspeak is up against a form of communication that is designed for sharing. Right now, there is nothing to stop folks privately sharing files and data. The only issue is keeping it private. While it's not hard to share data, it's not easy either. Most of the time a GPS has to be loaded via a computer which few take into the field.

Now with Colorado and beyond, it will become trivial to share the data. If there were a physical gadget along the lines of GPSbabel that allowed folks to attach any two GPSs to it and share data, then that would make sharing waypoints trivial. This would remove the inconvenience of having to have a computer to share the files.

Could be Groundspeak may have to come up with an alternate revenue scheme at some point down the road. It's interesting how technology forces paradigm shifts.

Yea, that's about the gist of it. Only in this case we're talking about individual caches, not pocket queries. I'd rather not make a big discussion out of this until we have a chance to update the TOU, so for now just do what feeeeeeels right.

if you and your friend have a Colorado you can share files secure in the knowledge that you are not violating any agreement with Groundspeak

When giving legal advice, i'd advise you to be more precise in your language.

What is a file but a bunch of individual caches?

Sharing cache info 1 at a time is okay, but several in a file is not?

I imagine that by 'files' one means the complete contents of ones GPS.

It just so happens to mean that they probably all came from one or more PQ's.

I could do the same thing right now by saving waypoints to my SD card (I'm a Magellan user, sorry to you Garmin users who can't do that) and give that SD card to another Meridian GPS, be it a Gold, Platinum, color or perhaps almost any Magellan as I think the SD card format is their propriatary statement along all their GPS's.

Perhaps this should also be addressed in any updating of the TOU/waypoints.