Pokey Plodder Fun!

Harriet the Spy

Pokey Plodders seem to coming from everywhere! I thought it might be fun to have a thread to keep everybody up to date on where they are plodding to next.

Poor Lord Hill it seems he is being attacked the Saturday February 2nd.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f4-d8506af77df0

Then we are up at the crack of dawn again on March 8th drinking coffee at the NCT

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8c-0b1a9302822c

And to answer the question why so dang early in the morning.. because we are slow so we leave early!

Pokey Plodders seem to coming from everywhere! I thought it might be fun to have a thread to keep everybody up to date on where they are plodding to next.

Poor Lord Hill it seems he is being attacked the Saturday February 2nd.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f4-d8506af77df0

Then we are up at the crack of dawn again on March 8th drinking coffee at the NCT

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8c-0b1a9302822c

And to answer the question why so dang early in the morning.. because we are slow so we leave early!

Yesterday's Lord Hill event was just perfect (except that I had to leave before Allanon's Frito pies ;)--great weather, lots of caches found, varied terrain, fun hiking companions... Thanks for organizing it, Spy!

:D :D :D

We had a great day out attacking Lord Hill. It turned out perfect that we postponed a week as the weather was PERFECT! Allanon frito pie was the best thing after a day hiking. He really knew what we needed.

I was wondering if the whole NCT was bikeable? And if there were any other bikers planning on going.

There are three caches in the north area--North Creek: The Wall; Vampire Geocaching: Site 2, No Smoking; and Bike Racing (you could easily bike from cache to cache), another two in the woodsy part of McCollum Park, then a paved trail almost to 164th Street, where you switch to a block of suburban street and then a road with little traffic. Once you enter North Creek Park, you're on a boardwalk, and I don't know whether biking is allowed/recommended there. I've seen families with kids on trikes and Big Wheels, though. Jcar would probably know.

March 8, Return of The Pokey Plodders: Coffee at the North Creek Trail...

I'll be there with my bike, The Pyecycle (I'm waiting on a TB tag - it will be discoverable by Saturday). I know several others have logged a "will attend", mentioning bringing bikes, as well. Allanon plans to find only a couple before heading out to parts unknown (to me) with JCar, then pick me up later. I need all the caches along the trail, as I haven't cached here before. Does anyone want to ride in a group, or will it be every cacher for him or herself?

I'm really looking forward to this...I'm always looking for places to ride my bike. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pyewacket

Update for tomorrow's PP event (GC1906T)

It sounds as if we'll have a nice crowd for the event and a smaller, but still substantial group doing some post-event caching. I've reserved the big picnic shelter; it's not luxurious, but we'll have a roof over our heads. (The prediction for tomorrow is "partly sunny.") <_<

I'm bringing monkey bread (if I can get myself into the kitchen) and two coins as door prizes. Bring your own coffee, maybe a treat to share, your coin collection to brag about and let others discover, and your best geocaching stories. I'm excited that we'll have some new cachers at the event, so be on the lookout for unfamiliar faces. :grin:

If you're planning to do any post-event caching, here's a cache update:

* NCT--Relaxation (GCWQ1Y) has been archived. :anitongue:

* Cheese It! It's the Cops! (GC16QW3) has been removed by the CO and isn't back yet, so we'll have to skip that one. :blink:

* If you're doing the puzzles, check out Wait a Minute! (GC19M0N). The final is only a couple of blocks off the trail, and it's the easiest puzzle cache ever. :unsure:

* In the last week or so, a couple of new caches have been published in the area, so check the map for possible post-post event caches.

See you tomorrow!

From the event last night, I hear that there may be a couple more of these events being planned...unfortunately I think they may be being planned for approximately the same time.

Y'all may want to talk amongst yourselves...or maybe here in the forums...so that no one steps on anyone else's toesies...

Thats what I heard as well, which confurzzled me a little as the one that is planned for next April is Licking the Lime. I believe we are going to have the event at Frank Mason Park, or O Reilly acres in Granite Falls. I did see a picnic shelter with a stretch of green near the IGA last time I was in town, it didn't have a green spot on my map, but it is definitely event doable.

We are also extend the "official" event time to an hour or hour and a half cause thats how long we all sit around and gab and drink entirely too much coffee while eating monkey bread. So I guess that means the event is actually going to be 3 hours long :lol: The socializing seems to be the draw anyways as a lot more people come to that than any post event fun. TePerky is working out the details but thats whats on the drawing board right now, she is looking at the end of April.

I did hear somebody mention something about Arlington Airport, but I know nothing about it and I am not involved so your guess is as good as mine.

Those two ladies have been talking and working it out so there won't be any toe stepping or date clashing. I don't even know too many details right now but you can ask Glassquilt. I do know that she does want to have one on a Sunday, and a bit later in the morning, and it will be at the Arlington Airport. I also know she wouldn't mind any kind of info, ideas, hints, tips, etc that someone might want to e-mail her. Have a great day!

Edited by NavyBussGirl

Oh! No wonder there was confusion! I thought she was doing a pokey plodder event, but by your description she is doing something separate. How Cool is that! I love events in my backyard!!!

BTW I just heard GA has put the finishing touches on the Pokey Plodders Lick the Lime for April. And we are expecting it to be submitted soon. That way Allanon can get a proper head count for mimosa's for all the socializing peeps!

Wow! I like all the event ideas everyone is putting together! So, what month is the Airport one going on? It would be great if it was around the time of the fly-in! That way, you might get some way-out-of-town cachers come in to add that to their list of things to do.

I'm looking forward to the Lime Kiln fun next month - I missed the last big group hike down that way.

I've got an idea for a future Plodder event. Who's coordinating all the Pokey Plodder events so I can throw an idea out there?

Wow! I like all the event ideas everyone is putting together! So, what month is the Airport one going on? It would be great if it was around the time of the fly-in! That way, you might get some way-out-of-town cachers come in to add that to their list of things to do.

I'm looking forward to the Lime Kiln fun next month - I missed the last big group hike down that way.

I've got an idea for a future Plodder event. Who's coordinating all the Pokey Plodder events so I can throw an idea out there?

Harriet's the ring leader.

And is it just me or isn't it supposed to be suck the lime/lick the salt? I'm not sure, maybe someone more experienced might know the answer. Robinego??

Harriet's the ring leader.

And is it just me or isn't it supposed to be suck the lime/lick the salt? I'm not sure, maybe someone more experienced might know the answer. Robinego??

I was going to answer that in three words - but they made me blush - so I'm keeping it to myself. First word was "slam"...

Any inkling on dates? I've wanted to do Lime Kiln since it was published!

Here is the answer from TePerky, when I asked her:

Hi, Yes I am planning a Pokey Plotter event for in April. It is planned for April 23 and I am looking at Lime Kilm trail. It is in the work already. I just need to finish the cache page for it. Perky

Oh great, when I was I enslaved as ring leader. Thats it, if I am ringleader than Sassy is my minion and I order you to bring jello shots with you to the next event! (talk about lowering the bar a little :) ) You know you are having a good time when you forget the lime at the end of the order and just start over from the beginning!

I am SO thankful that Jcar hasn't done the lime kiln. I thought I was the last cacher on earth who hasn't done them yet!

OH and we do TRY to coordinate events cause we all have family and other duties and don't want peeps to feel torn between family and caching. Which is the BIG reason why we don't plan on Sundays. We know peeps go to church, take a day off relaxing, or however you plan your morning services, and don't want to interrupt that. Also why we start early so you can spend the day with your family after the event and not have it take up your whole day on a Saturday. (also if we hike afterwards, then we are slow so we need to leave early) You can be eventing while the family is sleeping and they will never know your secret.... So throw it out, hurry! Its a short hiking season and we don't want to waste time!

Edited by Harriet the Spy

Hi, Yes I am planning a Pokey Plotter event for in April. It is planned for April 23 and I am looking at Lime Kilm trail. It is in the work already. I just need to finish the cache page for it. Perky

That actually works out good, I'll take the day off from work for that one. The weekends in April for some reason are almost filled up!

I've only done the cache at the trailhead. For those of you who have done the trail, how's the elevation for bikes? Specifically, how do the ups here compare to the ups to those of the last HOTM, the caches north of Monroe (ending with Woods Creek Bonus)? I can't do seven miles. The 5½ from the HOTM just about killed me, since I had to walk my bike up hills for at least half of that distance.

Incidentally, for those of you at the event last night...I got my puppy, and named him Karma. We're happy. :)

I've only done the cache at the trailhead. For those of you who have done the trail, how's the elevation for bikes? Specifically, how do the ups here compare to the ups to those of the last HOTM, the caches north of Monroe (ending with Woods Creek Bonus)? I can't do seven miles. The 5½ from the HOTM just about killed me, since I had to walk my bike up hills for at least half of that distance.

Incidentally, for those of you at the event last night...I got my puppy, and named him Karma. We're happy. :)

Pics please!!

I haven't done the hike since before the horrible November of '06. I'll see if I can dig up some kinda of trip report somewhere to see what the current conditions are, but if I remember right, Pye, it's basically a level walk - I don't remember it to be hilly or difficult. Maybe someone else with more info can chime in here??

Is that the same April 23rd that falls on a Wednesday, or some other April 23rd?

Is that the same April 23rd that falls on a Wednesday, or some other April 23rd?

I just checked my calendar, it's on Saturday 4.26.08

Pics please!!

I haven't done the hike since before the horrible November of '06. I'll see if I can dig up some kinda of trip report somewhere to see what the current conditions are, but if I remember right, Pye, it's basically a level walk - I don't remember it to be hilly or difficult. Maybe someone else with more info can chime in here??

Just a couple...this isn't about Karma; I just thought I'd mention that I'd named him. B)

l_6fb8adc85cc2f66f4eb2d9d9831b5c2a.jpg

l_eab5122b64a25b329536008d42b0df09.jpg

Brian and I were under the impression that the Woods Creek caches were along a flat route, too. We were wrong. Oh, so very wrong. B)

Bummer, the one day we already have plans, I just had this feeling...

I am SO thankful that Jcar hasn't done the lime kiln. I thought I was the last cacher on earth who hasn't done them yet!

Harriet, on April 27th I will be the last cacher not to have done Lime Kiln. :)

Oh Pye, he is so cute!! And Karma is such a (martha stewart) good thing!

Here's a trip report from 2.16.08 I found over at the WTA website.

Take the time to give it a read.

Lime Kiln Trip Report

edited to fix me dang link

Sounds good....thanks for finding the info, Sassy. I'll try to make a go of this if Brian does, or if I can get my van running by then. I admit, it hasn't been a priority because I just don't like to drive the big ol' gas guzzler. Putting my bike on the bus might be a possibility, too; I have time to look into it.

OH Pye, I could just EAT your puppy its so cute! And you must bring her to the next event!

He's a him...Karma's not a b*tch, afterall. :)

I'm going to acclimate him to riding in the basket of the Pyecycle. Can't you just hear the theme playing from the Wizard of Oz, the one that plays when the witch is in the tornado? B)

Bikes are only allowed on the first part of the trail, the part that is on an old road bead. Once you actually head into the valley, Bikes are not permitted.

Other than that, the trail is faily flat most of the way, except for the loop at the end which does a pretty good downhill to the river (which of course means uphill to get back).

Bikes are only allowed on the first part of the trail, the part that is on an old road bead. Once you actually head into the valley, Bikes are not permitted.

Other than that, the trail is faily flat most of the way, except for the loop at the end which does a pretty good downhill to the river (which of course means uphill to get back).

Hmmm. I gots some thinking to do, it seems. Thanks, everyone, for your help. B)

Harriet, on April 27th I will be the last cacher not to have done Lime Kiln. :)

Oh no...Except for the Trailhead, I haven't done it...

Also, I just checked out my new, improved/updated Hiking Snohomish County by Ken Wilcox and it lists the stats as: 7.2mi RT. Elevation gain 200ft. Allow 3-5hrs and it's a year-round hike.

Incidentally, for those of you at the event last night...I got my puppy, and named him Karma. We're happy. :D

Hmmm. I gots some thinking to do, it seems. Thanks, everyone, for your help. :D

Gosh - If wishes could come true...I would be in shape, NOW! Some of you know I've been working on better health :D I know right now I couldn't do the entire RT - yet. If some of you are going part-way then back, I'd be along for that.

Did somebody say Jello shots?? :D

On a slightly more serious note, after reading through this thread and talking with Spy, I got my Plod-On! So, I’m in and will sponsor an event in the Wellington/Tye/Iron Goat Trail/Stevens Pass area some weekend in September, AFTER Labor Day. Depending on how we decide to do it, it could involve camping/berry picking/bicycles, or ??? And it’s quite possible that, because of the location, some folks from the dry side/Wenatchee area could join in the fun. Now . . . who wants to place more caches up there when the snow melts???? I’m already excited!! :D

Harriet, on April 27th I will be the last cacher not to have done Lime Kiln. :o

Harriet, on April 27th I will be the last cacher not to have done Lime Kiln. :o