FeatureRequest: Add to Google Calendar

KRnlKilR

I have been using Google Calendar since November since it is available from anywhere I can get a connection to the web. I used to use the calendar function of my mobile phone (and still do), but it is not as robust as Google Calendar. Google Calendar offers quite a few features through "Gadgets", is viewable from web-enabled phones, and can send alerts through email or pop-up on your screen (if the calendar page is open in your browser).

I add all of the events that I plan on attending to Google Calendar so I can organize my time and plan my attendance. But, I have to do this manually for each event, copying and pasting the details from the geocaching.com page to Google Calendar. This can be time comsuming, especially for a month or area that has a lot of events, and leaves room for errors.

I would like to request an "Add to Google Calendar" link on event pages. Using the Google Calendar API, clicking this link on the geocaching.com website would quickly add the event to the user's calendar. I don't know (since I am not a programmer) how much time or effort this would take, but I think it could be a beneficial feature.

Does anyone else feel this could be a beneficial feature?

KRnlKilR

Edited by krnlkilr

I have been using Google Calendar since November since it is available from anywhere I can get a connection to the web. I used to use the calendar function of my mobile phone (and still do), but it is not as robust as Google Calendar. Google Calendar offers quite a few features through "Gadgets", is viewable from web-enabled phones, and can send alerts through email or pop-up on your screen (if the calendar page is open in your browser).

I add all of the events that I plan on attending to Google Calendar so I can organize my time and plan my attendance. But, I have to do this manually for each event, copying and pasting the details from the geocaching.com page to Google Calendar. This can be time comsuming, especially for a month or area that has a lot of events, and leaves room for errors.

I would like to request an "Add to Google Calendar" link on event pages. Using the Google Calendar API, clicking this link on the geocaching.com website would quickly add the event to the user's calendar. I don't know (since I am not a programmer) how much time or effort this would take, but I think it could be a beneficial feature.

Does anyone else feel this could be a beneficial feature?

KRnlKilR

I think this is good idea. I would like to see and use this if it is possible to implement. Google calendar can also show location if coordinates or adress is given.

Not everyone has an account on Google. But everyone who wanted one could. But that doesn't mean that the calendar would be available or useful to everyone.

These forums have a calendar feature, look at the top two lines on the right side of these forums. It's been turned off by TPTB but since these forums directly relate to geocaching I think if it were turned on and people were allowed to use it for notifications of events it would have the effect you seek.

Not everyone has an account on Google. But everyone who wanted one could. But that doesn't mean that the calendar would be available or useful to everyone.

These forums have a calendar feature, look at the top two lines on the right side of these forums. It's been turned off by TPTB but since these forums directly relate to geocaching I think if it were turned on and people were allowed to use it for notifications of events it would have the effect you seek.

Hi,

Not everyone has a Garmin GPSr either, but someone thought the Send to Garmin link on every cache page was a good idea. At least everyone can sign up for a free Google Calendar account if they want too... Not everyone can afford a Garmin GPSr.

I don't see how the calendar link in the Forums would help with keeping track of Event Caches. I use Google calendar to organize dates/times for just about everything because it is available from any web enabled computer and/or device (mobile devices). I don't know that is the case with the Groundspeak forum calendar. Plus, I don't want to have to maintain multiple calendars.

KRnlKilR

Edited by krnlkilr

Hi,

Not everyone has a Garmin GPSr either, but someone thought the Send to Garmin link on every cache page was a good idea. At least everyone can sign up for a free Google Calendar account if they want too... Not everyone can afford a Garmin GPSr.

I don't see how the calendar link in the Forums would help with keeping track of Event Caches. I use Google calendar to organize dates/times for just about everything because it is available from any web enabled computer and/or device (mobile devices). I don't know that is the case with the Groundspeak forum calendar. Plus, I don't want to have to maintain multiple calendars.

KRnlKilR

Well actually I'm a Magellan user.

But if you can go to the forums from anywhere in the world and log in as you, then you can go to that forum calendar that is a part of your profile. But one can't since that feature has been disabled by these forum maintainers as not having any use for us.

Even if it was active, if would be a poor substitute, compared to Google Calendar. Google Calendar will alert you via email, and there are widgets you can add to iGoogle (which I use as my browser home page) that will list upcoming events.

I just spent close to two hours reviewing event caches for Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana and Tennesee and placing them in my Google calendar so I can make sure there are no conflicts between the events I would like to attend, and other activities in my life. Today's review is just for the next two months, but as new events are published all the time, I will have to re-compare in about two weeks to make sure I don't miss anything new.

I'm sure many people use Google Calendar and would benefit from this feature request. With the requested "Add to Google Calendar" feature this wouldn't be so time consuming. The current "Remember this Date" vCalendar link on each page doesn't work with Google Calendar, but only Outlook and/or Thunderbird. Google Calendar can be viewed from any Web Enable device with Internet connectivity, including the iPhone (which I don't have).

Does anyone besides Prime Suspect have anything to say about the requested feature? :D:D

Edited by krnlkilr

*BUMP*

Still wondering if GS would be interested in implementing this. I spoke to Jeremy at GW VI about it, though I know he isn't the person to speak to about these things, I just wanted to get my idea out in front of him. He didn't seem to not like the idea.

Anyone from GS even reading this thread?

I've been using Google Calendar since the day it launched, and would love Groundspeak to created a calendar we all could add to our "Other Calendars."

That sounds like a splendid idea, IMO... and probably easy enough to do through the Google API (the recent change from Yahoo to Google maps seen to indicate they're at least looking at google-related things now).

BTW... the OP might want to shy away from the "bump" posts, as I thought I remember reading that blatant ones are not allowed here (I could be confusing this with any other umpteen forums I read, though).

Edit: clarified "you" in previous post

Edited by russellvt
<snip>

BTW... the OP might want to shy away from the "bump" posts, as I thought I remember reading that blatant ones are not allowed here (I could be confusing this with any other umpteen forums I read, though).

Gee, I waited three (3) month and let the post get buried all the way to page six (6) in the forum before I bumped it. Once a post gets past page two it pretty much ceases to get any traffic at all.

I think this is a great feature request. One that would be beneficial to more people than just me. While I know and understand that GS has a "Remember this Date" on the event pages, it only works with Outlook type programs. In order to add to Google Calendar, you have to manually add it.

Forum etiquette-wise, a bump every three months is fine. A bump every three hours will likely provoke an adverse reaction. :D

I waited three (3) months before I bumped it. I hope that's really not a problem. I wouldn't bump a thread every three hours unless I had something pertinent to add to it.

I would LOVE it as the add to calendar really doesn't work with Outlook. I am starting to switch all my personal email addresses and other time management apps to Google ones so that I can access them from my phone, work, home, my sister's house, my brother's house, my mom's house (you get the point) without having to lug my laptop!

Well, now I see a button next to the vCal button that will add the day of the event to my Google Calendar. Yay!

Except that the icon file for this button seems to be missing.

Also, as I mentioned, an "event time" field that would place the event at the right time in the calendar would be nice.

The icon has started appearing correctly. That's great!

Now, can I bug GS one more time... Can the event coords be passed to the location field in the Google calendar? Right now the event name, date and description (URL of the event page) are being passed. I have found that if the coordinates are in the location field, Google calendar will allow you to open a map with a pin on the exact location. Hopefully this is something you guys (and gals) can do.

Thanks again!

Edited by KRnlKilR