Geocaching.com -> Next version

KRnlKilR

Reading through the forum, I can't help but notice that what one person thinks is a great idea, the next person thinks sucks. And I'm wondering if modularity is the solution for this?

What I'm thinking is that during the next code rewrite, if Groundspeak would consider making the My Account page more dynamic and modular, allow people to turn off/on features that they like or don't like. Think "My Google" or "My Yahoo!"

I know that I have asked several times in the past for an on/off switch for stuff on the site, because while I don't find it useful, or find it confusing, I respect that others find it a great feature or really like the functionallity.

I know it's not something that is going to happen tomorrow, or next week, or next month. But, perhaps in the years to come Groundspeak could consider it when they go back to the drawing board to discuss the next "version" of the GC site.

KRnlKilR

You can see this concept in action to some extent at Waymarking.com. Examples include being able to save multiple locations ("show me just the stuff near the beach, instead of near my home in town"), and the ability to filter out categories you don't like and include only categories you do like (skip the McDonald's, include the Starbucks and the Historic Markers).

This might be a little ot, but I have been a part of many different forums (mostly car forums) and what I really enjoyed is that there was a control panel. I know this forum has a "My controls", but it's a lot more difficult. Why can't there just be a control panel where when you post on a topic, it automatically subscribes to the topic instead of having to select it to subscribe? It is really gnawing at me every time I visit here. And notice by my post count, that isn't very much :rolleyes:

Just a little note, seemed this thread was the best to post this idea :wacko:

Back on topic...

This might be a little ot, but I have been a part of many different forums (mostly car forums) and what I really enjoyed is that there was a control panel. I know this forum has a "My controls", but it's a lot more difficult. Why can't there just be a control panel where when you post on a topic, it automatically subscribes to the topic instead of having to select it to subscribe? It is really gnawing at me every time I visit here. And notice by my post count, that isn't very much :rolleyes:

Just a little note, seemed this thread was the best to post this idea :wacko:

Back on topic...

It is a *lot* off topic. If you wish to suggest design changes in the Invision Power Board forum software, you should post in their forums, found here. Let's keep this thread focused on the design of the Geocaching.com website. Thanks!

This might be a little ot, but I have been a part of many different forums (mostly car forums) and what I really enjoyed is that there was a control panel. I know this forum has a "My controls", but it's a lot more difficult. Why can't there just be a control panel where when you post on a topic, it automatically subscribes to the topic instead of having to select it to subscribe? It is really gnawing at me every time I visit here. And notice by my post count, that isn't very much :wacko:

Just a little note, seemed this thread was the best to post this idea :rolleyes:

Back on topic...

My Controls > Email Settings > Check Enable 'Email Notification' by default?