How to add multi-cache symbol in GPS

QK-N-EZ

Does anyone know how to change the symbol of a regular geocache (the little closed chest in the Garmin 60csx) so that it will show it's a multi-cache? I know it can be done because I've seen it on others with the same GPS, but I don't have a clue how to do this.

I'm not sure it's something that needs to be changed in GSAK or with the Garmin itself. It's very frustrating to drive to the nearest cache in the GPS & discover it's a multi, when you only have a few minutes of daylight left & no time for a long, involved hunt.

Of course the PDA will show it's a multi if you read the cache description, but who has time for that when you're driving?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

QK-N-EZ

Does anyone know how to change the symbol of a regular geocache (the little closed chest in the Garmin 60csx) so that it will show it's a multi-cache? I know it can be done because I've seen it on others with the same GPS, but I don't have a clue how to do this.

I'm not sure it's something that needs to be changed in GSAK or with the Garmin itself. It's very frustrating to drive to the nearest cache in the GPS & discover it's a multi, when you only have a few minutes of daylight left & no time for a long, involved hunt.

Of course the PDA will show it's a multi if you read the cache description, but who has time for that when you're driving?

QK-N-EZ

Only the closed and open chest icons come with the 60CSx. You will need to download a set a customized icons, and upload them to your unit. There are numerous threads about this in the GPS Units and Software forum.

Your unit can only recognize a single icon at a time as being a geocache. So if you change the default icon to the custom multi-cache icon, you will not see any traditional geocaches when you do a Find Closest Geocache.

I've found it better to just use a single icon for all geocaches, and encode the type and size in the name.

Edited by Prime Suspect

QK-N-EZ

Only the closed and open chest icons come with the 60CSx. You will need to download a set a customized icons, and upload them to your unit. There are numerous threads about this in the GPS Units and Software forum.

Your unit can only recognize a single icon at a time as being a geocache. So if you change the default icon to the custom multi-cache icon, you will not see any traditional geocaches when you do a Find Closest Geocache.

I've found it better to just use a single icon for all geocaches, and encode the type and size in the name.

So, you're saying if I get it to show a multi cache, it won't show any other kind? Yikes!

I use xImage to replace the "custom" waypoint symbols on the 60CS (the ones that show up as blue circles by default) with the little cache icons from gc.com.

2.gif3.gif6.gif

I got them from the Google map page, saved each of them to my computer, and converted them to .bmp format so that xImage could use them.

I then use GSAK to export each cache type as a separate icon. to do this, you first need to append the following lines to the GARNIN.TXT file in the GSAK folder:

Custom 1

Custom 2

Custom 3

Custom 4

Custom 5

Custom 6

Custom 7

Custom 8

Then, on the send to GPS screen in GSAK, you can set each cache type; i.e. traditional caches have the "custom 1" icon, multis are set to "custom 2", etc. I'd post a screenshot if I had the GPS with me at the moment.

Always interesting to see all the different ways folks set up their GSAK exports. There is a GSAK macro for changing the visible icons on the map to represent the different cache types, but also true that the GPS only recognizes one symbol as 'geocache,' so you'd have to use Find Waypoints to search all of the others. Because of that, I chose not to use the custom icons.

Instead, I do a variation of what others have noted, and encode the info in what I export from GSAK. However, I don't do it in the cache name. On the Send Waypoints screen, I use Smart Names for the name (%smart in Waypoint Name field in GSAK), and encode the additional info in the 'Waypoint description format (comments)' field. Mine says:

%code %typ1 %con1 %Dif/%Ter %by

On my GPSr's Note field for a cache, that gives me: GC code, cache type, container type, D/T, and owner.

Some people use the Note field for hints, but I have my PDA for that. I prefer to be able to quickly see cache type and size, etc, instead.