Forum Searching

trainlove

I'm trying to find a certain message, I do not remember any discrete words in the topic or any replies that I can search on.

I do remember when it was first generated, but all posts are in reverse order based on Last Action, so a topic started 4 years ago might show up right now if someone replies toit right now. But the topic I want was created last November I think, it might or might not have had more recent replies than last December. That's a whole lot of topics to search through, and I can't remember if it was in getting statrted or geocaching topics or web site topics.

Anyone know of a way to search for something like this?

P.S. I had not replies to that topic so I can't weed down my search that way.

I'm trying to find a certain message, I do not remember any discrete words in the topic or any replies that I can search on.

I do remember when it was first generated, but all posts are in reverse order based on Last Action, so a topic started 4 years ago might show up right now if someone replies toit right now. But the topic I want was created last November I think, it might or might not have had more recent replies than last December. That's a whole lot of topics to search through, and I can't remember if it was in getting statrted or geocaching topics or web site topics.

Anyone know of a way to search for something like this?

P.S. I had not replies to that topic so I can't weed down my search that way.

If you do remember who participated in it, you can search their posts. There's a quick link to do that on their profile page.

This sounds like something my wife likes to ask me to do. :) Kinda like, "I'm looking for something but I don't remember what it is or where I put it!"

You've picked options that are almost impossible to do quickly and because the search function does not work as advertised, that makes it even harder to do.

Search for a simple word (can't you remember anything that might narrow?) and search from 90 days ago. If you had replied, you could search for just your posts. If you can remember who may have posted in the topic, try that user name to narrow.

You will be at it for awhile I think. When you find it, post a reply with a goofy word in it like "goofy" so you can find it again.

All I can remember are lots of 3 letter words. LOL.

But honestly it's racking my brain to remember just what it is i'm trying to remember, you know I can't remember half the things I forget.

But one other nice forum search feature would be to search for posts generated by a certain person. Yes you can do it by searching for all his posts and looking at the Topic Starter column, but if he has lots of replies but only a few started posts you could also look forever through the lists.

Wouldn't it be nice if the date the topic was started was in that Topic Starter column also? Consistancy!!!

But one other nice forum search feature would be to search for posts generated by a certain person. Yes you can do it by searching for all his posts and looking at the Topic Starter column, but if he has lots of replies but only a few started posts you could also look forever through the lists.

If you search for posts by a certain person and set it to sort the results by Poster Name all the posts started by that person would be grouped together at least.

All I can remember are lots of 3 letter words. LOL.

But honestly it's racking my brain to remember just what it is i'm trying to remember, you know I can't remember half the things I forget.

Wouldn't it be nice if the date the topic was started was in that Topic Starter column also? Consistancy!!!

You can narrow down the search to a specific forum by username. I would try the results as topics first as that will be a faster look through than by every message the user posted. Reverse the results so it shows the most recent first. If it was active enough, it might show up in the first 3-5 pages.

Btw, it almost sounds like you're searching in Simple mode. Try Advanced mode. You'll get more out of it. The button is at the bottom of the search page.

Edited by TotemLake

Btw, it almost sounds like you're searching in Simple mode. Try Advanced mode. You'll get more out of it. The button is at the bottom of the search page.

Actually I do use Advanced when I am searching for something I remember.

Here I "Simply" do not remember the topic but if I see the title I might remember, or if I see some of the replies I would remember.

It's the opposite of trying to get a song out of your head, here I have a vague notion of remembering something interesting, but what that was totally eludes me.

I still think it's the "Best threads ever" thread but that wasn't from last Nov. TL is just confused. :D

No that's not it. I still can't remember ANY details. So I'm going to give it a rest and who knows, next week it might pop right into my mind. I'll let everyone know if that happens.