My TB Hotel was muggled.....THEN RETURNED

Kealia

Back in November I placed a TB Hotel on my commute route to facilitate the movement of TBs from one area to another (like most). It was just off the highway, easy-on easy-off and jsut a few feet from parking in a spot I thought would be safe.

It got a few visitors the first two days and then went missing with 7 travelers in it :)

I had to be the one to bear the sad news to those TB/Geocoin owners....

I replaced the cache with new travelers a few hundred feet away in a very safe spot and moved on with my life, hoping beyond hope that the owners of the lost travelers could do the same and somehow find it in their hearts to not hold it against me. We all said our good-byes and moved on....

Then, 3 days ago I get an email from Groundspeak saying that somebody has contacted them about a painted ammo can full of stuff (listing the tracking number no less) and wanted to see about returning it. There was a group doing a roadside clean-up that found it and threw it in a dumpster, only to have the coordinator look through the trash later to see it and get curious.

the box was cammo painted with foliage and stenciled with "OFFICIAL GEOCACHING GAMEPIECE - Please do not remove". The stencil also allowed for hte cache name, ID and my contact info although I had forgotten to fill in those lines... :)

Fortunately my name was on the logbook along with the cache name and ID and the coordinator gave that info to Groundspeak after looking up the site. They contacted me with his contact info and I sent him an email thanking him and asking where I could pick it up. He called me the next day and said he would be coming into my town and would drop it off at my house!

I went out to my driveway in the afternoon and it was waiting for me, with all the travelers inside!.

I didn't get a chance to talk to the person who brought it back in person but I sent another email to him after the fact thanking him again.

I now have to grab all the TBs back from "unknown location" and share this story with the owners who should be thrilled.

This guy has some seriously good karma coming his way.

Just wanted to share some "good".

Aloha!

I just got through grabbing the TBs/coins back and letting the owners know that they are alive.

Nice Friday morning for them I hope.

I'm going on a group hike tomorrow so I'll be droppign these travelers in new caches or handing them off to others to get them moving again.

Great story and glad it ended well. :unsure:

I had found a cache this past summer that had TB's in it that had been missing for over a year. There was no history of there whereabouts and was curious to where they had been all this time. I contacted all of the TB owners and they were delighted to hear they were back in business after fearing they would never see them again. It's always great to give TB owners good news like this.