Night caching basics

bo&bronnie

The ones that I've found, the published coordinates brought you to a spot. From there you had to use a flashlight to search for reflective tacks . You then followed a trail of reflective tacks to the cache. Fire Tacks Stealth tacks is the best product I've seen for this. The cheapie tacks at Walmart are easily visible during the day, so if you want a true night cache you want tacks that aren't too visible in the daylight. Fire Tacks aren't cheap though.

One particularly fun night cache that I hunted had several stages. At the end of the trail was a container with coordinates and you had to walk to those coordinates to pick up the trail again.

Some things to consider about night caches. First make sure the land is open at night. You don't want to put a night cache in a park that is closed at dusk. Second think about what the neighbors might think about seeing people frequently wandering the area with flashlights at all hours of the night. Unless you want searchers hassled by the police, make sure you place the cache where searchers are out of the view of homes and businesses (remember that in the winter with the leaves down searchers will be visible from quite a distance).

Clan Riffster, an ingenious hider in our area, has a twist on a couple of his night caches. You have to use a GPSr that can draw a track log.

When following the firetacks, the unit will begin drawing a picture, or write out a set of coordinates that you can read from the track log page, which gives you the information for the final cache location.

I haven't done his night caches yet, but have spoken to some who have. They all thought the idea was pretty cool and it shows some imagination! :laughing:

Thanks go to Mr. Riffster for 'raising the bar' on many caches in our area! His hides are well known and revered by many. Well, except for one LAME cache that he has out there! :laughing:

Edited by Stargazer22