Scheduling Cache Activation

Pablo Mac

In the past, I have needed to activate caches on a specific date and time, such as right before an event cache, so that everyone has the same opportunity for an FTF, etc. I have done this by coordinating with a reviewer, who agrees to click the button at the scheduled time, but there's gotta be a better way.

My idea would be a check box on the "Submit a New Cache" form along the lines of: "Schedule Cache Activation for XX date & XX time." At that point, and after the review process is complete, the cache page sits in an activation queue until the specified time, then the system kicks it out as activated.

I'm sure there is a certain amount of programming to make that happen, but it would prevent reviewers from having to field requests from dorks like me who ask that kind of favor.

Or is there already a workaround for this issue, and I failed to find it?

Ok this is creepy, I was about to post a message about the EXACT same thing. It would be great to have a cache pre-approved and then released at a specific time and date, I agree. Excellent idea.

I think its a great idea too! Here in Salem, Oregon, our reviewer works all day, and only publishes caches around 10pm or so. There are only a couple people who will try a FTF run.

The problem with this idea is, what if it takes longer than anticipated to review the cache? It would almost hae to be a post-reviewed thing, or a check box you select before you publish a cache saying, "I want to publish at an exact date/time" so you can select those values after it has been reviewed, but not published.

Once again, this would be a REALLY nice feature to have :ph34r:

1. There's no workaround that you're missing.

2. Reviewers are happy to help, to the extent possible, in timing the publication of one or more caches. The secrets to success are "flexibility" and "advance notice." If I am traveling to attend the event, with advance notice I can make arrangements for another reviewer to publish the caches while I'm on the road.

3. Many reviewers support your feature request. There are, however, significant programming challenges. We recognize that the resources of the website developers are needed in many different places.

Thanks for renewing this good suggestion.

1. There's no workaround that you're missing.

2. Reviewers are happy to help, to the extent possible, in timing the publication of one or more caches. The secrets to success are "flexibility" and "advance notice." If I am traveling to attend the event, with advance notice I can make arrangements for another reviewer to publish the caches while I'm on the road.

3. Many reviewers support your feature request. There are, however, significant programming challenges. We recognize that the resources of the website developers are needed in many different places.

Thanks for renewing this good suggestion.

Thanks Keystone! :ph34r:

The problem with this idea is, what if it takes longer than anticipated to review the cache?

It would have to be the cache owner's responsibility to prepare the cache submission well in advance of the cache activation time. I would suggest a 1-week requirement for scheduled caches to be submitted for the approval and activation queue processes to be completed.

I often am asked that, and in almost all cases I have been able to accommodate the requests. As Keystone said, advance notice helps things especially if there is an issue with the cache such as proximity.

If you ask me to publish at 3am, chances are slim I'll set my alarm clock for you though. :D

However, 3 am here could be 9:am somewhere else and the reviewer there would be happy to assist the reviewer in this time zone. This happens all the time. Then again I am almost always up at 3 am PDT anyway. :blink: We can normally accommodate any time as long as you give us advance notice.

However, 3 am here could be 9:am somewhere else and the reviewer there would be happy to assist the reviewer in this time zone. This happens all the time. Then again I am almost always up at 3 am PDT anyway. :) We can normally accommodate any time as long as you give us advance notice.

I mentioned in my opening post how I sometimes need to schedule a cache activation relative to a cache event. The other big reason is because I have some plans for new caches that would be great for FTF Attempt YouTube Videos. If there is anybody on this planet who understands and experiences human error, it's me, and I would hate to be the victim of it when I'm all set up on site, camcorder at the ready, waiting, and waiting...

I guess it would it work to leave the "Yes, this listing is active..." button unchecked, and manually check it when I'm ready (another reason to justify my iPhone).

And before you ask, yes, the FTF competition around here is usually hot and heavy. I...uh...some cachers around here have allegedly been on site 9 minutes after cache activation. I'm lucky to live in a video scene-rich environment. :D

To have the ability to schedule a specific date, after review, I would be 100% in favor of. I think that would be awesome, and I was just thinking the other day how I could use that feature. I don't like bugging Reviewer Jones with special stuff. I know he has a life, and active Okies keep him pretty busy as it is.

HOWEVER.... I WOULD OPPOSE VERY STRONGLY THE OPTION OF SELECTING THE SPECIFIC TIME OF PUBLICATION.

1) Security. The idea of hiding and filming someone's attempt at a FTF seriously creeps me out. I asked my wife what she thought, and she reacted even more strongly than I did. While hiding and filming might be innocent enough, it's a very scary thought to know that someone can time when people will be traveling (perhaps alone) into isolated woods where nobody else is going to be around. I don't think I am being alarmist to think that if this ability was put into the system, then it will be a matter of time before somebody gets murdered. I know we're all friends here, sharing this awesome hobby/sport/game/addiction, but there is nothing keeping a psycho from using this for their weird purposes.

2) People will use this to manipulate the FTF process. If I know that my reviewer publishes caches at aobut 9PM M-F, and at 10AM on Saturday, for instance, then I can schedule a publication so that the usual FTF people don't get to see it until they have loaded up the new ones and left the house. This argument is not as strong, but I still don't like this idea.

to add what Okiebryan just said. I think it would be a great idea for example if you scheduled a release at say 8am, near first light, for safety, that way everyone has a fair shot of going looking for it in light, instead of the Crazy folk, that like to do night caching in the woods alone, by themselves :drama: BTW, I'm heading out now to go grab 3 finds. :drama:

But seriously, that would be a great idea. I tried to schedule a release of a series so it would happen like this, but the local reviewer here had other plans. Pre-approval days in advance could have solved that.

Following up on that last post, as a reviewer I would also make use of this feature to automate the publishing of caches that cannot be accessed legally at night. Examples include cemetery caches and caches in parks that close at dusk. I do much of my volunteer work in the evening, and it always troubles me a little bit when I press the "publish" button at 10:00 pm on a cache like this, knowing that some fool might disregard the law in their effort to score an FTF. I'd much rather do the review at 10:00 like I do now, but schedule the cache for publication at 8:00, when I am busy cooking breakfast and driving to my paying job.

The feature would also cut down on what I need to keep in my cluttered memory. I am currently holding about 110 caches for delayed publication at various times, with no system to track them other than to edit the date of publication into the cache title on a temporary basis.

Edited by Keystone

Following up on that last post, as a reviewer I would also make use of this feature to automate the publishing of caches that cannot be accessed legally at night. Examples include cemetery caches and caches in parks that close at dusk. I do much of my volunteer work in the evening, and it always troubles me a little bit when I press the "publish" button at 10:00 pm on a cache like this, knowing that some fool might disregard the law in their effort to score an FTF. I'd much rather do the review at 10:00 like I do now, but schedule the cache for publication at 8:00, when I am busy cooking breakfast and driving to my paying job.

The feature would also cut down on what I need to keep in my cluttered memory. I am currently holding about 110 caches for delayed publication at various times, with no system to track them other than to edit the date of publication into the cache title on a temporary basis.

If you have outlook installed you can create a timed reminder in the calendar. It will notify you at the right time or up to 24 hours in advance. There are other calendar programs out there that will help too. :drama:

Please, if you make a feature that will allow caches to be published at a specific time, only give that abilty to reviewers. I think it would be very dangerous to give that precise timing to cachers in general.

Since only reviewers can publish caches, your comment makes no sense at all.

Your comments only show that people will come up with a bizarre reason to naysay ANY possible feature request on this site.

I have to agree with this one. If someone requests a specific time, and it's approved, what difference does it make if the user selected it, or the reviewer?? If the time is a problem, then the reviewer should spot that and deny the publish. Or do you mean something else???

I have to agree with this one. If someone requests a specific time, and it's approved, what difference does it make if the user selected it, or the reviewer?? If the time is a problem, then the reviewer should spot that and deny the publish. Or do you mean something else???

Let me try to explain this so that you understand me. As it is now, people submit caches. Reviewers review them as they get to them. The time and date of publication is a result of when the reviewer gets to it and pushes the button or whatever.

The OP is asking for the ability to decide when his caches get published. Specifically, to have the cache held in a que, even after it is approved, until a specific date and time that is selected by the hider when he submits the cache. Currently that functionality does not exist, other than to ask the reviewer to hold off publishing until a certain date and/or time.

Ok, I am not one of these people who always say "What's wrong with the way it is now?" ... or "But we've ALWAYS done it that way" I am not a naysayer. I resent that you would completely disregard what I said and call me names.

Did you not read what I said in my post above???? I think that being able to specify what DATE a cache is released to the public is a great idea. Just not the specific time. Allowing someone to decide specifically what time their cache would be published is a bad idea. Here's why.

An earlier poster said he wants this feature so that he can hide in the woods and film others going after the cache. THIS IS CREEPY. Way outside my comfort zone. While hiding and filming might be innocent enough, it's a very scary thought to know that someone can time when people will be traveling (perhaps alone) into isolated woods where nobody else is going to be around. I don't think I am being alarmist to think that if this ability was put into the system, then it will be a matter of time before somebody gets murdered. I know we're all friends here, sharing this awesome hobby/sport/game/addiction, but there is nothing keeping a psycho from using this for their weird purposes.

This is reason enough not to enable this feature. If you want to allow people to delay publishing a cache after approval, fine. Let them decide what date to publish. Let the reviewers decide what time to publish, if they want to use that to keep caches in parks that are closed at night from popping up at 10PM. That's cool.

Am I clear now?

Edited by Okiebryan

Ok, I am not one of these people who always say "What's wrong with the way it is now?" ... or "But we've ALWAYS done it that way" I am not a naysayer. I resent that you would completely disregard what I said and call me names.

WHOA! Slow down. You quoted me in your last message, then said I called you names? Read above. I did nothing of the sort. I don't need the mods chasing me down for something I didn't do. :drama: If you mean the other guy, Quote him.

Funny how rarely we look at things like this from a reviewers perspective...

I can see how this would be a major PITA for a reviewer...

wow, 110 requests like this to remember???

"Holy Memory Lapse, Batman"...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

I don't think I am being alarmist to think that if this ability was put into the system, then it will be a matter of time before somebody gets murdered. I know we're all friends here, sharing this awesome hobby/sport/game/addiction, but there is nothing keeping a psycho from using this for their weird purposes.

You're being alarmist. There are already ways for a psycho murderer to lure you into the woods that they don't need to have caches published at certain times. This wouldn't be a good way to do that anyhow. You couldn't rely on it to get a specific victim because you don't know which of the FTF'er will show up. And if even if you didn't care who your victim was, there is the risk of a second geocacher showing up while you are disposing of the first one. Given the number of threads in the forums about cachers who carry a weapon when they go caching, it would be very risky for a murderer to use this method. Instead of watching so many TV crime shows, I suggest you go geocaching more. :drama:

Edited by tozainamboku
An earlier poster said he wants this feature so that he can hide in the woods and film others going after the cache. THIS IS CREEPY.

I had an extensive reply to this post all drafted and ready to post, then decided that the majority of people reading this thread can see through the...uh...can tell where Okiebryan is coming from with his comments. All I want to add is that I obtain model releases from everyone I video for my YouTube videos. If anyone appearing in my fotage doesn't want to appear in an online video, I toss that footage out.

An earlier poster said he wants this feature so that he can hide in the woods and film others going after the cache. THIS IS CREEPY.

I had an extensive reply to this post all drafted and ready to post, then decided that the majority of people reading this thread can see through the...uh...can tell where Okiebryan is coming from with his comments. All I want to add is that I obtain model releases from everyone I video for my YouTube videos. If anyone appearing in my fotage doesn't want to appear in an online video, I toss that footage out.

And I don't think any of the video was hidden camera... I would also put on the cache page, "You might be filmed while searching for this cache."

"...it will be a matter of time before somebody gets murdered. I know we're all friends here, sharing this awesome hobby/sport/game/addiction, but there is nothing keeping a psycho from using this for their weird purposes.

Your apparent fears of bad things happening contradict the numerous family pictures in your profile.

"...it will be a matter of time before somebody gets murdered. I know we're all friends here, sharing this awesome hobby/sport/game/addiction, but there is nothing keeping a psycho from using this for their weird purposes.

Your apparent fears of bad things happening contradict the numerous family pictures in your profile.

Ok thats strange enough to close this one. The ops post has been noted. It has been discussed before with the reviewers and there is currently no plan to implement it. But it is on the wish list.

Thank you for your suggestion.