Strange things afoot.

Imposters

Whilst out on a walk we noticed some poeple acting perculiarly they seemed to be searching for something with a GPS and didnt want us to see. We thought it was bizarr enough to bring a friend of ours to the same spot to show where this curious incident had occured. We noticed that they had been poking around under tree roots and under the general foliage and as i demonstrated to my friend what we had seen, we came across a little box. We opened up the box and followed the instructions inside, we were quite excited by the prospect of being part of the Geocaching. We are students so would greatly appreciate any help in a cheap investment of GPS eqiupment to carry on, and also how we can find other chaches etc. Thanks. :lol:

Welcome Aboard!!!!

Just visit the main site at www.geocaching.com and sign up for an account.

Lots of tools on the hide-n-seek page for searching out new caches. Start with an address search at the top of the page with your home address.

A great starter unit for Geocaching is the yellow Garmin eTrex "H" - goes for around $90 and will help you find any cache out there. Rugged and reliable unit.

Edited by StarBrand

Silly careless cachers :lol:

Well, welcome to the addiction. Glad you found the concept interesting when you found a random box of trinkets under a bush.

If you're looking for a reasonable GPSr to start hunting caches on your own, you can check the garage sale section of this forum, or you can check eBay or Amazon. All depends on how much you want to spend... you can easily go anywhere from $90 to $500+.

... Or you could just stalk other local cachers.. >.>

I love the username you thought up too!! Glad you found out about this great hobby. Don't forget to log the cache you found! If you have a hard time figuring it out, you can go back to the cache. Often the name of the cache is written somewhere in the log book. You could also look at the log and find the user names of the last few finders and contact them for information on the cache.

Welcome and have fun. You should be able to find a good deal on a GPS on e-bay or right here. Try to get one that is under 3 or 4 years old, as some of those older units are lucky to get you within 50 feet of the cache! (I know, I tried using my very old, maybe 1999 model and it did not work)

My weapon of choice is a garmin etrex legend c, got one on ebay a year or so ago for $150 or so. You can find them cheaper, even new, but the old adage is true: you get what you pay for.

In the mean time, it is possible to find many geocaches without a GPS if you study aerial maps and locate landmarks nearby, especially if the cache has a good hint. But of course a GPS makes it much easier :)

Anyway, welcome to the greatest hobby there is.