Logging

Excal1bur

Hello,

With 22 founds (at 29-2-2008) but very enthousiast I would like to suggest this: when I log on geochacing.com there apears a field with GCXXXX. Then I delete the "X's" the cursos jumps then before the "G" then I use "End" to go to the right side of the "C" to fill in the code, I suggested to Groundspeak (in an @mail) to change this and let the cursor to stay there: after the "C". The kindly answer was that I should move this question to the forum, so here it is, what is your opinion?

(I don't write often in English, so I'm sorry, when I used a wrong written word). :o

Edited by Excal1bur
Hello,

With 22 founds (at 29-2-2008) but very enthousiast I would like to suggest this: when I log on geochacing.com there apears a field with GCXXXX. Then I delete the "X's" the cursos jumps then before the "G" then I use "End" to go to the right side of the "C" to fill in the code, I suggested to Groundspeak (in an @mail) to change this and let the cursor to stay there: after the "C". The kindly answer was that I should move this question to the forum, so here it is, what is your opinion?

(I don't write often in English, so I'm sorry, when I used a wrong written word). :o

It's done that as long as I can remember. So I always wipe the entire GC and type in the number. You only have to do this for the first cache you are logging because you can type the next GC number in the box that is at the bottom of the logged cache page. :o

Hello,

(I don't write often in English, so I'm sorry, when I used a wrong written word). :)

Since you are a Premium Member, I assume you are getting Pocket Queries? If you are getting all that data, are you using GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)? I never use the field on GC.com because I just double-click the cache in GSAK and the web page opens with the URL of the cache I am going to be logging.

If I ever need to search using the GC number, I use this page which is handy as a link in the "Panel" in my Opera browser. :)

I have never used IE . . . as you have discovered, it has problems. :blink:

If I ever need to search using the GC number, I use this page which is handy as a link in the "Panel" in my Opera browser. <_<

In Opera, even better ... on the Hide and Seek page, right-click on the "by Waypoint" field, then Create Search. Pick your own name and keyword -- I chose "geocaching waypoint" and "gcwp". Now you can use this in several ways (using my choices for the examples):

-- F2, gcwp GCxxxx, enter

-- double-click a GCxxxx in any text where it's not a link, and pick search by geocaching waypoint from the resulting contextual menu

-- select a GCxxxx by click and drag, then right-click on it and pick search by geocaching waypoint

I have a similar search set up for geocaching name, and could set up searches for many of the others. It does not work for searches which require more than one field to be filled in, such as searching by coordinates.

Edward

If I ever need to search using the GC number, I use this page which is handy as a link in the "Panel" in my Opera browser. :laughing:

In Opera, even better ... on the Hide and Seek page, right-click on the "by Waypoint" field, then Create Search. Pick your own name and keyword -- I chose "geocaching waypoint" and "gcwp". Now you can use this in several ways (using my choices for the examples):

-- F2, gcwp GCxxxx, enter

-- double-click a GCxxxx in any text where it's not a link, and pick search by geocaching waypoint from the resulting contextual menu

-- select a GCxxxx by click and drag, then right-click on it and pick search by geocaching waypoint

I have a similar search set up for geocaching name, and could set up searches for many of the others. It does not work for searches which require more than one field to be filled in, such as searching by coordinates.

Edward

And you can do the same thing in Firefox, by just installing the OpenSearchFox add-on.

Edited by Prime Suspect
If I ever need to search using the GC number, I use this page.
I never knew that page existed. Thanks! :)

That's the most useful page around. I've used it for a long time and it has made my life much easier. I have a number of links added to the page and it's the first page I open at work every morning. ;)