Intellectual property

terahex

If I remember right, you can mark the cartridge as inactive, and then there is a way to send it to somebody without opening it to the entire world.

Thanks... Thats good to know.

So if your Wherigo cartridge that contains Intellectual property, can you legally sell access to it?

I can see applications for Wherigo in the Tourism, City Guides, Field Guide industries. Wherigo could provide them with another medium for information, replacing books. However no one would want to give away the IP for free.

Edited by terahex
So if your Wherigo cartridge that contains Intellectual property, can you legally sell access to it?

I doubt it. Under Creative Commons, I believe the rule is anything that contains works in this domain must also be free and open source.

Legally, you cannot sell work that includes work done by others without their approval. Of course, what do I know? Some years ago, a newspaper pulled my pictures from my web site and published them under the byline "Contributing photographer". I could have sued, but instead chose to let them know in a polite manner by asking for a byline next time (and didn't ask for payment). The sad thing is they never used my pictures again. But this happens all the time.

In short, don't try to sell anything that isn't wholly 100% yours. If you do, make sure your sources are in the public domain and those works don't take center stage to your product.

My legal background, though, comes from my experience as a photographer and a business school class. That's the best and safest answer I can give.

That is kind of what I expected. It seems to me that Groundspeak is missing a great market. I like the idea of free trade for games and sharing points of interest. However there is a point where your Intellectual property becomes part of your livelihood. I guess if you gave people the option, everyone would think they games and points of interested should be worth $$.

Oh well. it was just a thought....