Introducing the ConundrumCoin Geocoin! Now on sale at hogwildstuff.org

dimkasmir

OwlCacher and I came up with this idea a while ago and now it just might happen. Here is the art for the coin although it might slightly change over time:

conundrumcoin.jpg

It will be 1.5" in an antique finish, probably silver.

The way that this will work is that all who purchase this coin will gain access to the website conundrumcoin.com (which we are still working on and does not curently exist). There, you will solve a series of puzzles. The first 25 people to solve all of them will get a free LE version of the coin. The small "#" inside the jigsaw piece is going to be consecutive numbering for the LE coins so that the winners will know which place they came in.

We have been in contact with some mints and if enough people are interested we hope to start production in early April. Pricing is not definete but it will probably be $9 shipped in the US + $1.25 international orders.

If you like this coin and would likely get one when it's released please email me at dimkasmir *at* gmail.com. Like I said, if enough people are interested we will go ahead and make this coin.

The color layout for the Rubik's Cube imitation is lacking, mostly due to the 1 bit color space you are using. Six sides to a cube means six unique colors, most evident for the center tile of each face in the sample art.

Not that I spent any time with those nefarious devices as a child! :rolleyes:

The color layout for the Rubik's Cube imitation is lacking, mostly due to the 1 bit color space you are using. Six sides to a cube means six unique colors, most evident for the center tile of each face in the sample art.

Not that I spent any time with those nefarious devices as a child! :rolleyes:

We were going for an antique feel with this coin and did not want to use color. We made the "SOLVED" red so that it would really stand. Making the Rubik's Cube colored would have it stand from the rest of the coin which I don't think will work too well and I do not want to make the whole coin in color. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the cube using only raised and recessed metal I'd definetely love to hear them.

Not that I spent any time with those nefarious devices as a child! :(

We were going for an antique feel with this coin and did not want to use color. We made the "SOLVED" red so that it would really stand. Making the Rubik's Cube colored would have it stand from the rest of the coin which I don't think will work too well and I do not want to make the whole coin in color. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the cube using only raised and recessed metal I'd definetely love to hear them.

There are various gradients of "sand" granularity normally used for texture, but can also be used for shading in this case, I'd guess. Then again, I'm no expert in minting coins, I just buy them! :rolleyes: Trying to think of a monochrome coin with multiple texture types with such small areas...

Now you guys have me remembering all those issues of Games magazine that I spent umpteen hours each issue as a youth (you guess which decade! <_< ) trying to solve various puzzles, thanks for the fond remembrance! :(

Let me introduce Dimitri then to the business world.

Dimitri, before you make your coin, please read the geocaching.com logo usage regulations.

This doesn't mean they will say no, it just means you have to ask first.

Groundspeak has given permission for the use of the geocaching.com logo on geocoins as long as the circle-R symbol appears as part of the logo.

Groundspeak's Current Coin Tracking Policy

Nice design, but then I saw your potential in the Kid's Community coin thread <_<

Is there a code around the outside edge I see? Not sure about the website thing but could be fun. My caching area is known for it's puzzle caches, so I have learned to enjoy them :rolleyes:

Good Luck with your design.

Just an observation..but if the Rubik's Cube is "solved", then shouldn't each side of the cube be all one color. :rolleyes:

But I do like the idea of the coin <_< And someone mentioned the idea of using textures instead of colors to represent the squares on the rubik's cube. I think that would look cool. One coin I can think of that uses many of the different textures on the same coin is the Petrified Wood Compass. It has translucent enamel over the texture, but it us easy to see the different looks of each texture.

0bcf6c72-32fe-4ee2-9181-b5e5b6b813d5.jpg

Now you guys have me remembering all those issues of Games magazine that I spent umpteen hours each issue as a youth (you guess which decade! :rolleyes: ) trying to solve various puzzles, thanks for the fond remembrance! <_<

Hey! I got Games magazine too! Wasn't particularly good at some of the puzzles, but... I'm guessing the 80's :(

CF30

I think it's a great idea for a coin. But what is wrong with color?

Obviously it's a personal preference on my part, but I tend to gravitate toward coins that are more colorful.

Just my 2 cents. But I'm definitely interested in seeing a sample posted. Puzzle caches are the bain of my existence at the moment.

And seeing that close up of the petrified wood coin is making me think about breaking out the plastic. Again! :rolleyes:

Let me introduce Dimitri then to the business world.

Dimitri, before you make your coin, please read the geocaching.com logo usage regulations.

This doesn't mean they will say no, it just means you have to ask first.

Groundspeak has given permission for the use of the geocaching.com logo on geocoins as long as the circle-R symbol appears as part of the logo.

Groundspeak's Current Coin Tracking Policy

You should've seen our original design- the back has pretty much just the logo with the words "Geocaching-A Puzzle Within Itself" wrapped around the logo. Groundspeak wasn't too happy...

Now you guys have me remembering all those issues of Games magazine that I spent umpteen hours each issue as a youth (you guess which decade! :rolleyes: ) trying to solve various puzzles, thanks for the fond remembrance! :(

Hey! I got Games magazine too! Wasn't particularly good at some of the puzzles, but... I'm guessing the 80's :(

CF30

Me too. I fooled myself into thinking I could sovle them all. :P I had a subscription for a year. What fun. We were in the bookstore the other day and they had the current issue so grabbed it & leafed through it. Still fun. Still can't solve 'em all.

Looking forward to the coin & the website on this and what challenges await. <_<

Just an observation..but if the Rubik's Cube is "solved", then shouldn't each side of the cube be all one color. B)

But I do like the idea of the coin B) And someone mentioned the idea of using textures instead of colors to represent the squares on the rubik's cube. I think that would look cool. One coin I can think of that uses many of the different textures on the same coin is the Petrified Wood Compass. It has translucent enamel over the texture, but it us easy to see the different looks of each texture.

0bcf6c72-32fe-4ee2-9181-b5e5b6b813d5.jpg

The Rubik's cube actually isn't "solved". This coin encourages puzzle solving. Don't see how that would work if the Cube was solved to begin with :huh: .

Here is the current list of people who have expressed interest:

j2garnett

Lazer

BlueMotmot

Tom S

Vanelle

CF30

vasaturn

sweetlife

backhiker

gpxnavigators

Nochipra

AtlantaGal

ThirstyMick

Highland Geofairy

Cydriver

The Amigos

Ble68

Marky

Let me know if there is anybody I forgot, and keep them coming!

Edited by OwlCacher

We now have orders for 26 or more coins. Here is the list of people:

j2garnett

Lazer

BlueMotmot

Tom S

Vanelle

CF30

vasaturn

sweetlife

backhike

gpxnavigators

The Amigos

Marky

Ble68

tom4props

jimbexleyspeed

The Klever Boys

Nochipra

AtlantaGal

ThirstyMic

Highland Geofairy

Cydriver

ble68

Team LegGoes

I'm happy that all these people have expressed interest but we would really like more. We are considering taking the coins to Geowoodstock and selling some there. Please keep the preorders coming. Also, due to some fees that I didn't take into notice such as PayPal, I have slightly raised the price to $9.25 + $0.60 or so shipping for domestic orders and around $1.75 shipping for international. I hope that that's not gona be a problem.

I didn't realize i was making an order :rolleyes: haha..

In that case you can change mine to 2.

If there is some kind of package deal on multiples, I'll get more than that...they'd make good puzzle cache FTF prizes!

I look forward to seeing samples!

I didn't realize i was making an order :) haha..

In that case you can change mine to 2.

If there is some kind of package deal on multiples, I'll get more than that...they'd make good puzzle cache FTF prizes!

I look forward to seeing samples!

For some reason I've overlooked this post. Anyway, when I put together the "orders" list, I just included anyone who either emailed me or expressed near-definite interest on this thread. We are considering making a package deal but have not decided yet.

As for the current status of the coin. We have almost definitely settled on a mint and are in the process of getting the die art exactly the way we want it. It should be ready any day now. I'll post it ASAP. Also, we will be taking many of these coins to sell at Geowoodstock.

For some reason I've overlooked this post. Anyway, when I put together the "orders" list, I just included anyone who either emailed me or expressed near-definite interest on this thread. We are considering making a package deal but have not decided yet.

As for the current status of the coin. We have almost definitely settled on a mint and are in the process of getting the die art exactly the way we want it. It should be ready any day now. I'll post it ASAP. Also, we will be taking many of these coins to sell at Geowoodstock.

I absolutely am the worst at puzzles, but I'd be in for 2 of these! Please count me in!

I absolutely am the worst at puzzles, but I'd be in for 2 of these! Please count me in!

Sure, thanks!

I thought I said the same thing and I'm Not on the list, yet :)

I thought I said the same thing and I'm Not on the list, yet :D

Sorry, forgot to put you down. I have now reserved one for you.