Tomtom One 3rd Edition - It works!

fidjit

I received a Tomtom One 3rd Edition as a sales reward recently. I don't really need it for street navigation very often so was trying to "justify" keeping it. I remember reading about Geocaching and came across this site :-)

However, after reading all the Tomtom One 3rd edition threads here , it appear that a majority of people "poo pooed" this unit for caching.

Undetered, I set about trying the unit out on a couple of caches today. If it didn't work, I'd whack in ebay and buy an Etrex or Gecko.

The result, two found caches this morning. One was quite easy and about 20 m off a road, one was deep in the bush.

Don't know if this procedure will help anybody, but looks like I'll be keeping this one:

1. Use geocache to find the relevant cache

2. Go to "other conversions"

3. Go to "Google maps"

4. Press "Send" to "GPS" ( assuming you've installed Tomtom Home )

5. Choose " Save as Favourite"

6. Navigate to/near the site.

7. Go to "Browse Map"

8. "Find"

9. "Favourite"

10. Choose the cache your looking for.

11. Pretty much follow the arrow till you're on the yellow star that marks the cache.

12. Once you're on the yellow star then press "Done" and go to the default 3D view

13. Press the GPS Signal section of the Screen

14. Press the GPS/Battery section of the Screen

15. Walk around till the (large ) on screen co-ords match.

16. Find the cache :-)

This probably isn't the best way of doing it, but it appears to work.

Hopefully this might help people use the 3rd for caching.

Note that the unit I'm using is the Australian one.

YMMV ! <_<

You can also use GSAK to view a bunch of waypoints at once, and export them all as a TomTom POI file (which gives them their own Point of Interest category of "Geocache").

I haven't tried to use the TomTom for Geocaching yet, but I'm going to give it a shot when I go out again (today, if the weather holds up).

I've loaded a bunch of caches into both my TomTom and my (really) old eTrex Legend using GSAK. I'm hesitant to use the TomTom for the crawling-around-the-woods part, since it's likely to get dirty/scratched/wet at some point. Instead, I'm going to use the TomTom for driving directions to get me fairly close, and then the Legend once I'm on foot. It should be a nice change from trying to read a paper map while driving (and it'll cut down on the amount of research I do before setting out for the day).

I'll post a trip report once I've tried it out.