Most cache-rich environment?

hzoi

We currently live in Wiesbaden, Germany, just west of Frankfurt. Next summer we'll be moving to Charlottesville, Virginia. I got bored waiting for my wife to wake up this morning, so I went into "hide and seek a cache" and put in Charlottesville to see how many caches were in the area we'll be in. I found there's a decent number of caches in town but the countryside around it is pretty empty -- about 4200 caches in a 100-mile radius. The Frankfurt area has over 16,000 caches in the same radius.

I got curious and started looking around to see which was the most cache-rich environment, and I was surprised to see that the Frankfurt area is bigger than most of the biggest cities I can think of in the US, except LA. And even Frankfurt isn't as big as Dortmund, though that area includes a lot of Frankfurt caches.

As of this morning, here's what I've been able to find:

Mission Viejo, CA (between LA & SD)- 21,670

Dortmund, Germany - 18,372

San Diego - 13,247

Philadelphia - 11,775

New York - 11,623

London - 10,596

Seattle - 10,288

Can anyone find a more cache-rich area?

Edited by hzoi

Thanks for the info on the caches. I was wondering the same thing - as far as what area had the most caches. I myself have to travel to areas around me to find any caches and even that is on average about 45 per town close to me. That's plenty for me at this time, only because I haven't found that many yet and in actuallity, have just gotten into the sport. I can't wait to find more!

Happy Hunting.

How did you come up with 21,670 for Mission Viejo?

I just did a search for caches in state on geocaching.com home page which go out a radius of 50 miles and came up with

9,804 for Mission Viejo

5,037 for San Diego

4,314 for Philly

4,476 for NY NY

6,405 for Dallas

6,083 for Fort Worth

This is not quite the same as the other examples, but my favorite cache dense area is Angel Island State Park, in San Francisco Bay, CA

This Cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...86-5e837d287f91 Sits atop the island, so could be be connsidered the center, and there are currently 37 caches listed on the 1.2 square mile Island. At least a half dozen more have been archived since my last visit, and there will likely be a dozen new ones this summer.

I've often wondered where this might stand on a list of the richest square mile. Has anyone seen a denser area near them?

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

This is not quite the same as the other examples, but my favorite cache dense area is Angel Island State Park, in San Francisco Bay, CA

This Cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...86-5e837d287f91 Sits atop the island, so could be be connsidered the center, and there are currently 37 caches listed on the 1.2 square mile Island. At least a half dozen more have been archived since my last visit, and there will likely be a dozen new ones this summer.

I've often wondered where this might stand on a list of the richest square mile. Has anyone seen a denser area near them?

There are about 40 within a one mile radius at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. Many of them are virtuals and webcam caches, though.

Caches in DC

... there are currently 37 caches listed on the 1.2 square mile Island.

There are about 40 within a one mile radius at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. Many of them are virtuals and webcam caches, though.

Angel Island is nominally a one mile diameter island. A one mile radius gives roughly 3 times the area.