Great "First Cache Hides"

A couple here in NJ got into geocaching and before they found their first cache they placed their first hide.

It was a large, plastic treasure chest (about 2 1/2 feet long, maybe 1 1/2 feet wide and 2 feet high) absolutely packed with trade items of all kinds, each individually bagged in its own Ziploc. Books, tooks, toys, trinkets, camping do-dads, CDs, just some great stuff. A lot of work and money went into it. The lid was held on with velcro. The geo letter was in a Ziploc velcroed to the insideof the lid.

All of this was hidden under one of those huge fake rocks that are used to hide septic system piping. It looked just like any other boulder in the area so I spend quite some time searching and didn't find it until I accidentally kicked the rock and heard a hollow sound.

The area wasn't an incredible spot, but it was good enough, hidden in a wooded section of a little known park that I never knew was there. Exactly the kind of cache many of us like.

Once the word of this cache got out, people were driving many miles just to find it. I know it's about the hunt, not the swag, but you just had to say "wow" when you opened it and saw all the work that went into it.

Unfortunately the couple's interest in geocaching soon waned and they archived the cache before it was a year old and basically left the sport.

I'll admit most of the "first hides" I remember aren't because they were well done. :laughing:

However, there is one "first hide" that sticks out for me even though I haven't done the cache yet:

Pika Cave by BVPete

As soon as I saw this cache get published I thought to myself "Here is a cacher to watch." Sure enough, since then he has gone on to place 75 more caches and has become one of the most popular cache hiders in our area. His caches usually involve some sort of hike or drive in the country, they are in interesting locations, they have creative containers and are hidden with a purpose.