Caches on mailboxes

nutlady

Just wondering the protocal.....theres a cache hidden on a mailbox , and the mailbox doesnt belong to the owner. Cache hider is kinda new.....Mailbox belongs to a public place. Like a park......

Anyway, Im going to remain indifferent about the placement for the meantime, but Im not going to log it either, Im scared to be caught.

Is this type of placement ok?

I know, I know, we can never agree on whats right or wrong when it comes to cache placement.....this one does bother me though enough to ask.

Placing an item on a U.S. Postal Service mailbox would require very clear evidence of permission. Otherwise, if I knew how the cache was hidden, I would archive the listing under the "legality" clause of the listing guidelines. There are probably a few out there, because not everyone discloses to the reviewer how their cache is hidden.

Anyone remember the anthrax scare? How about the Unabomber?

Placing an item on a U.S. Postal Service mailbox would require very clear evidence of permission. Otherwise, if I knew how the cache was hidden, I would archive the listing under the "legality" clause of the listing guidelines. There are probably a few out there, because not everyone discloses to the reviewer how their cache is hidden.

Anyone remember the anthrax scare? How about the Unabomber?

In San Diego, there was a cache placed on a mailbox that was archived because the USPS found out about it.

There are also at least two or three examples of caches that are attached to mailboxes (magnets in all cases) that have not been archived.

(These are the big blue boxes that belong to the USPS...)

There are also at least two or three examples of caches that are attached to mailboxes (magnets in all cases) that have not been archived.

Reviewers don't have a crystal ball that tells us where these caches are hidden. If you know of caches like this, please don't ignore them. An email to your reviewer will allow them to look into it and take action where necessary.

By leaving these caches unreported, they'll be copied by others who don't know any better and the situation gets worse.

Reviewers don't have a crystal ball that tells us where these caches are hidden. If you know of caches like this, please don't ignore them. An email to your reviewer will allow them to look into it and take action where necessary.

By leaving these caches unreported, they'll be copied by others who don't know any better and the situation gets worse.

Yes, these are bad ideas which could cause problems for the cachers and for caching! Thanks for the advice, I hope people will follow up!!

And Joranda is tight, they MAY have received permission, but if the Postmasters are anything like my SIL, not likely! Pm's are worried about scares and public relations, not so much our ability to have fun (this is a good thing).

Did you email the cache owner and tell them your concern? Either they don't have a clue that it isn't right to place it there or they may have gotten permission.

Generally Joranda is right. They may have permission. But it is not the owner of the mailbox that you need to worry about. It is the United States Postal Service. The USPS is not very understanding of anything that has to do with the mailboxes. Anyone remember the guy who was blowing up mailboxes in the Midwest in order to make a happy face pattern on the map?

From the USPS website:

mailtamper.jpg

another clearly stated it's a geocache and not in line with all the other mailboxes that get mail.

I well remember reviewing and publishing that cache. The owner notified his local postmaster about what he was doing with the cache setup, which involved an "extra" mailbox not actually used for the delivery of mail.

But, that was a home delivery box, not a big blue collection box. I'm curious to hear more details about the cache described in the first post.

I've found a couple of caches that were in mailboxes on the homeowner's property. I would guess those would be OK even though the official mailboxes do say the USPS owns them (even though a person might have bought it at a store). I wouldn't think placing one of these close to the road would be too smart though.

As I have stated in the past in similar threads, the only time that I have ever found geocaches concealed on or under blue postal collection boxes or blue/green postal storage boxes on sidewalks and streetcorners has been in Los Angeles, particularly Pasadena. And, another favorite target for LA hiders seems to be hides on or under newspaper vending boxes located on sidewalks and streetcorners.

As I have stated in the past in similar threads, the only time that I have ever found geocaches concealed on or under blue postal collection boxes or blue/green postal storage boxes on sidewalks and streetcorners has been in Los Angeles, particularly Pasadena. And, another favorite target for LA hiders seems to be hides on or under newspaper vending boxes located on sidewalks and streetcorners.

Woohoo! Road trip to Pasadena and LA!! :ph34r:

I've only found one keyholder under a street corner USPS box, it was part of an urban multi. I was like, what is this guy doing? I'm pretty sure a few people emailed the owner privately (but not me), and he changed it. Cache was archived in 2005.