car charger and usb

larsonec

do I need to get a dedicated car charging cord to plug into my venture hc? I would like to use my blackberry cord to power the gps, but would be surprised if they are compatible. Any electricians out there that could let me know?

That uses a standard USB cable, which should have come with the unit. You can get a lighter to USB power converter on Amazon for less than a dollar (really, though shipping will cost a few bucks, but it's still cheaper than the $15 you'll pay at an electronics store). That's all you need.

I see you use the phrase "charging cord". The cord is for an external power source, not for charging the batteries. The Garmin doesn't charge batteries.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Just 'cause the connections are the same, don't mean you can interswap the cords. The Garmin take two batteries of 1.5 volts. That equals 3 volts, but I believe you can safely go up to 5 volts - what computers put out of the USB ports. So, you want a DC adaptor that is between 2.5 - 5.0 volts. If you cord is not rated properly, look at the power consumption needs of your blackberry. If around 3 volts, that cord should work. Don't risk it! Get the proper cord if you have to.

do I need to get a dedicated car charging cord to plug into my venture hc? I would like to use my blackberry cord to power the gps, but would be surprised if they are compatible. Any electricians out there that could let me know?

That uses a standard USB cable, which should have come with the unit. You can get a lighter to USB power converter on Amazon for less than a dollar (really, though shipping will cost a few bucks, but it's still cheaper than the $15 you'll pay at an electronics store). That's all you need.
Yes that will work and those would make great swag so order a bunch of them! :ph34r:

Just 'cause the connections are the same, don't mean you can interswap the cords. The Garmin take two batteries of 1.5 volts. That equals 3 volts, but I believe you can safely go up to 5 volts - what computers put out of the USB ports. So, you want a DC adaptor that is between 2.5 - 5.0 volts. If you cord is not rated properly, look at the power consumption needs of your blackberry. If around 3 volts, that cord should work. Don't risk it! Get the proper cord if you have to.

Depends on the model. Some, such as the 60s, can take at least up to 26v (through the 4-pin port), and the GPSII and GPSIII line, which ran on 4 AAs, topped out at around 20v.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Depends on the model. Some, such as the 60s, can take at least up to 26v (through the 4-pin port), and the GPSII and GPSIII line, which ran on 4 AAs, topped out at around 20v.

That's nice to know, but we're talking about the Venture HC here.

(You forgot the StreetPilot III which takes 8 1.5 AA's.)

My point, which I guess you missed, was that Garmins are engineered to have a very forgiving voltage range.

Just 'cause the connections are the same, don't mean you can interswap the cords.

I think it does mean you can swap cords.

The important issue here is not the cord but the adapter. You would be hard pressed to find a cord that is USB to USB mini and is ALSO an attenuator.

USB is a standard. The power output from a USB port on a computer is 5v, as you say. The automobile accessory port is 12v. However, the "cig lighter to USB adapter" regulates that down to 5v - the USB "standard".

After that, the USB cord that you plug into the "cig lighter to USB adapter" doesn't matter. I use the same cord that came with my Cannon A620 on my Garmin Vista HCx and vise versa.

The Garmin take two batteries of 1.5 volts. That equals 3 volts, but I believe you can safely go up to 5 volts - what computers put out of the USB ports.

And isn't that because Garmin has included a 5v to 3v regulator circuit internally in the GPS after the mini-USB port?

So, you want a DC adaptor that is between 2.5 - 5.0 volts. If you cord is not rated properly, look at the power consumption needs of your blackberry. If around 3 volts, that cord should work. Don't risk it! Get the proper cord if you have to.

I would think that, if there is a mini-USB port on the Blackberry, it also follows the "standard"

My point, which I guess you missed, was that Garmins are engineered to have a very forgiving voltage range.

And my point is the thread starter didn't ask about forgiving voltage ranges. Stick to the thread topic; it's more effective and efficient.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just 'cause the connections are the same, don't mean you can interswap the cords.

The important issue here is not the cord but the adapter. You would be hard pressed to find a cord that is USB to USB mini and is ALSO an attenuator.

I'm using cords and DC adapter cords interchangeably as most DC adapters don't have a detachable cord. I was also, unlike you, not assuming all DC adapter cords with the B-type (aka mini USB connector) connection provide the same output volts. Maybe they do, maybe they don't; I don't know and was not assuming they do. Not all devices with a B-type connector draw power from a computer's USB port. So, it's possible these devices may have different power requirements. I read somewhere there is a growing trend to use the B-type connector as a universal power connector. Whether that means 5 volts will be the standard voltage output, I don't know, but doubt it.

The Garmin take two batteries of 1.5 volts. That equals 3 volts, but I believe you can safely go up to 5 volts - what computers put out of the USB ports.
And isn't that because Garmin has included a 5v to 3v regulator circuit internally in the GPS after the mini-USB port?
I don't know. Most battery-operated electronic devices have a range; I don't know if that's attributed to a regulator or some other electronic component, and I don't care; I was just pointing out to the thread starter the voltage range.

So, you want a DC adaptor that is between 2.5 - 5.0 volts. If you cord is not rated properly, look at the power consumption needs of your blackberry. If around 3 volts, that cord should work. Don't risk it! Get the proper cord if you have to.
I would think that, if there is a mini-USB port on the Blackberry, it also follows the "standard"
If the Blackberry can draw power from a computer's USB port, then, yes, I agree. But, what if it don't? As I mentioned above, I don't know that all B-type connectors provide the same amount of volts from their respective DC adapters. That's why I'm mentioning to play it safe and find out the unit's voltage requirements. If you know for a fact that all DC adapter coords with the B-type connector provide the same voltage, then tell us and stop beating about the bush! :P

And my point is the thread starter didn't ask about forgiving voltage ranges. Stick to the thread topic; it's more effective and efficient.

And you became a Forum Moderator... when? Oh, that's right, you're not one. Until you are, don't tell people what they can and can't post.

Suggestion?

if you currently have a wall charger for both you can look right on them for the output voltage AND amps. Voltage you want very close, within a point (0.1 or 0.2).

With amps you can be safe as long as it is as high or a little bit higher. actually with a charger you can go a little low on amps as long as the unit is powered off, it'll just take longer to get a full charge. Don't try to run a unit that that needs higher amps than what the cord puts out, you could cause a brown out.

Edited by justchad

I'm using cords and DC adapter cords interchangeably as most DC adapters don't have a detachable cord. I was also, unlike you, not assuming all DC adapter cords with the B-type (aka mini USB connector) connection provide the same output volts. Maybe they do, maybe they don't; I don't know and was not assuming they do.

It's called a "standard". You can find out more here

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

and here

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_USB.html

Not all devices with a B-type connector draw power from a computer's USB port. So, it's possible these devices may have different power requirements. I read somewhere there is a growing trend to use the B-type connector as a universal power connector. Whether that means 5 volts will be the standard voltage output, I don't know, but doubt it.

You can find out by following the links above or by using google.

Incidentally, the Venture HC that the OP was asking about does not use a B-type connector.

I don't know. Most battery-operated electronic devices have a range; I don't know if that's attributed to a regulator or some other electronic component, and I don't care; I was just pointing out to the thread starter the voltage range.

If the Blackberry can draw power from a computer's USB port, then, yes, I agree. But, what if it don't? As I mentioned above, I don't know that all B-type connectors provide the same amount of volts from their respective DC adapters. That's why I'm mentioning to play it safe and find out the unit's voltage requirements. If you know for a fact that all DC adapter coords with the B-type connector provide the same voltage, then tell us and stop beating about the bush! :P

"The USB specification provides a 5 V (volts) supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V (5 V±5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines. Initially, a device is only allowed to draw 100 mA. It may request more current from the upstream device in units of 2 mA up to a maximum of 500 mA."

I'm sure your warnings were well intentioned and you didn't want the OP to toast his GPSr. At the same time, I wasn't beating around the bush. I stated that the OP could swap cords and guess what? He did and it worked as predicted. Amazing how standards work, isn't it?