Take time to remember the cachers with disabilities...

ArtieD

Hello, all...

I recently got an email from a local cacher that is a friend of the cacher I mentioned in this thread that seemingly logged false finds on some of my caches.

He told me this person is autistic and this is one of the few activities he really enjoys and felt really bad that I was not pleased with his actions.

I never really thought that there may be cachers out there that might have problems logging finds at all. They might need help in all facets of the sport.

I feel like such a horse's patoot that I did not take this possibility into account. It's really made me think about this issue, so I want to simply remind those out there that there might be extenuating circumstances out there that need to be considered.

Thanks.

-Michael

Well... I can say that if you didn't know - its genuinely not your fault.

I've gotten some bad logs... and unless you knew otherwise - a bad log is a bad log. (Or an incomplete log)

I'd just write a kind email, and welcome him back to your caches!

~P

I did. I explained why I was feeling the way I did and apologized to him, inviting him to search for the rest of my caches in the area.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Hello, all...

I recently got an email from a local cacher that is a friend of the cacher I mentioned in this thread that seemingly logged false finds on some of my caches.

He told me this person is autistic and this is one of the few activities he really enjoys and felt really bad that I was not pleased with his actions.

I never really thought that there may be cachers out there that might have problems logging finds at all. They might need help in all facets of the sport.

I feel like such a horse's patoot that I did not take this possibility into account. It's really made me think about this issue, so I want to simply remind those out there that there might be extenuating circumstances out there that need to be considered.

Thanks.

-Michael

It happens. I've also learned that extenuating circumstances can lead to mis-understandings and hurt feelings.

My brother has trouble writing his own logs. He gives me an idea of what he wants written and I write it when I have time. It took me something like 2 years to catch up on all his logs once he decided he wanted them done. Of course, he waited until he had 250 finds to start logging. Argh!

I DID miss-log one cache when the name confused me as it was a series of similar caches. But the owners were really nice and helped me figure out which one he had found as it was found on an out-of-state road trip he took.

The best thing about this community is that he can be a part of it, in his own way.

-J

Arthur & Trillian,

Thank you kindly for being big enough to come to the forums to make this kind of post.

It's a nice reminder that we should be a little more tolerant of how others play this great game of ours.

There may be a reason for seeing something a little unusual from some cachers.

I think that if we were all just a tad more tolerant of each other, we wouldn't have to worry as much about being so Politically Correct.

Happy Caching! :drama:

Whenever I have others caching with me I ask them if they want to sign the log or have me sign the log for them (they are standing next to me at the cache when I ask this, I never sign for someone not there) because if they don't sign in some way then most cache owners will think they didn't actually find it and therefore refuse to acknowledge the find.

So if I was in that situation I'd offer to sign a name for them on the log. Online I might mention I was caching with so and so at the time of this cache but leave it to them to log the find online unless they ask me to do it for them.

I think it was very classy of you to come back to the forums and explain the misunderstanding, and that is what it was. I think many of us, myself included, are in the same boat as you as we posted to that thread in your support. All I can say is that the situation is more unusual than I imagined.

May I recommend that you link to this thread at the end of the other thread?

Thanks for posting that. I didn't post in the original thread, but I supported the deletion, despite being generally against strict policing of logs. Now I have another very good reason for that.

Even though I'm around autistic kids quite a bit, I hadn't thought about how it might intersect with caching. It's probably a very good activity for people on the autism spectrum. I know hiking is good because of the impact of walking and weight of the gear (feeling more "grounded" can be a big help for sensory disorders), and caching would add a focused activity.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I think it was very classy of you to come back to the forums and explain the misunderstanding, and that is what it was. I think many of us, myself included, are in the same boat as you as we posted to that thread in your support. All I can say is that the situation is more unusual than I imagined.

May I recommend that you link to this thread at the end of the other thread?

... and that we all remember and learn from it.

Thank you for posting this.

Being a bit of a handicacher myself I do appreciate when limitations are taken into account.

On the other hand I can't imagine someone capable of finding a cache on their own not being able to sign the log in some way... an X drawn on the log sheet with a stick and dirt will do, and anyone so profoundly affected that they indeed can't sign the log probably has someone with them who can.

Most any handicacher can log their find online, "signed with X" will do, and again, if they can't there is more than likely someone available who can do it for them.

I certainly don't want to be dismissive of our considering others abilities, but there are some things that need no accommodation.

Your original expectation that there be SOME indication in the cache (sig item?) or some sort of identifiable mark on the log sheet was legitimate.

Fascinating and unusual outcome! I am glad that you learned the reality behind the cryptic logs from the local cacher, and I am glad that it was such a benign explanation (rather than logging fraud) and thanks for having taken the time to tell us what the background story turned out to be. In our area, the few occurrences of rashes of strange online logs without a corroborating log entry in the logbook have always, so far, turned out to be done by unscrupulous folks trying to inflate their find count, and not due to folks with disabilities such as autism or physical hnaidcaps.

And, speaking of autism, does anyone remember the forum poster about two years ago who started talking about the special needs of "artistic children"?

It's probably a very good activity for people on the autism spectrum.

As someone who is "on the spectrum" myself (on the "mild" side), I can tell you from personal experience that it is indeed a good activity. Geocaching really appeals to my mind, especially the data and prep part of it. I spend more time plotting caches on maps as I do actually caching. The mapping part is getting out of contol--almost an obsession--as I am even making my own digital maps for my Garmin.

The focused activity comment is spot-on. Geocaching has been wonderful for me and my kids. Having kids is a challenge for anyone, but especially for those on the spectrum. Geocaching is goal-oriented, focused, and action-oriented and that really helps get me out with the kids instead of just doing my own thing.

I have no experience with severe autism, but the OP shouldn't feel bad about the deleted log now that it's been set right. I know I've left a rather snarky comment or two in a log when I've encountered a cache that I thought was "wrong" for some reason. I especially tend to freak out when I think something is dangerous. But it goes to show you that you never know what is behind the log posts, forum posts, or other writings of anyone you don't know.

...It's really made me think about this issue, so I want to simply remind those out there that there might be extenuating circumstances out there that need to be considered....

I'm glad someone took the time to email you and glad you took the time to point out reality. One that most of us would not have considered. I've ranted about parasites bieng those who don't sign the log and my rantings didn't allow for this either.

So if he can paint, why can't he sign the log?

Ha, ha. Right?

With many caches, being able to write (or paint) is the least of the problems. How many times have you seen "it would be helpful to bring tweezers to remove the log" in the description? Then you have to uncurl it, flatten it out, write, recurl it, stuff it back into the nano, etc, etc.

It may not be relevant in the case the OP is talking about. Just sayin'. With some autistics, it isn't a matter of physical ability or necessity. It's complicated.

Perhaps individuals with signing issues could print (or pre-write) stickers with their caching name allowing them to leave their mark on the log without signing, obviously not super-tiny nanos though.

I have stickers allowing me to leave my rubber stamp image without taking stamp and pad out with me and they have our caching name on and space for a date and come in about 4 sizes for different sized logs. Also useful when you are in a hurry and want to get the log back into its safe place before it gets soaked in the pouring rain.