Unorthodox personal goals

nekom

Some people will say that geocaching isn't about the numbers. I say it's about whatever YOU want it to be about. If that's numbers, then that's what does it for ya. But I find myself lately setting some unusual goals for myself and I wonder if anybody else does the same.

My goals are to find at least one cache in each county of my state (Pennsylvania) as well as all bordering states. Yeah, I have a LOOOONG way to go on that, but that's part of the fun. I also just found my 81st cache today which got me thinking, that's number of possible combinations of difficulty/terrain ratings for a cache. So now I have it in my head that I want to find each possible combination of difficulty and terrain ratings. Looking into it, that's harder than it sounds actually, as many are very uncommon (the closest matching one was actually over 100 miles away!)

So does anybody else set these kind of goals for themselves? I'd be interested to hear what kind of ideas others have came up with.

I would love to FTF a cache, any cache, that has been unfound for years. The more years, the better.

These are few and far between!

Come on our trip next year to find GCBD8E... placed in 2002 and yet to be found.

Of course, it's out on an island in Lake Superior, and need formidable boating skills to get there, and then formidable hiking skills, and it is probable that you'd have to stay overnight if the waves got bad while you were hunting the cache...

We're planning our trip to get this. We're taking a group, hopefully we're going to do it in the winter, so we don't have to bother with wild seas.

Care to join us? :P

Care to join us? :P

Oooh! I'd love to. But I'm not sure if I can stand to wait for winter. But yeah, that first-attempt story is a bit ...scary.

Okay, this cache is now on my list, as #2 in the Need An Airplane column.

If you think you might go for it this summer, ping me and I'll check out WestJet's prices. Sounds like it could be a fun adventure. :D

We have our own little goals...

1. We like to look for caches that haven't been found in forever and find those.

2. We like to rescue travel bugs and move them along when they've been trapped for awhile.

3. We like to "clean up" my little area of the map and turn all the green boxes into smileys. Once we start an area, we have an obsession to clear it up too - otherwise it just makes my map look stupid... =)

4. If we're traveling we make arrangements to find a cache in the states we're going through.

I also just found my 81st cache today which got me thinking, that's number of possible combinations of difficulty/terrain ratings for a cache. So now I have it in my head that I want to find each possible combination of difficulty and terrain ratings. Looking into it, that's harder than it sounds actually, as many are very uncommon (the closest matching one was actually over 100 miles away!)

\

Here, check these two caches out: GC11E8N and GC1AHN3. The second one is in Ohio. I found these in another forum that I frequent. In order to claim a find on these caches you have to have all 81 possible difficulty/terrain combinations. You also have to have one of each cache type.

My Husband, Cousin, and I all set the above caches as a goal to achieve. We still have a long, long way to go, but it is a lot of fun.

Some people will say that geocaching isn't about the numbers. I say it's about whatever YOU want it to be about. If that's numbers, then that's what does it for ya. But I find myself lately setting some unusual goals for myself and I wonder if anybody else does the same.

Like you, one of my goals is to find a cache in each county in PA and complete the Pennsylvania All Counties Challenge. I'm getting close, but with the current price of gas it might take a while.

I'd also like to complete the Allegheny Geo Trail in NW PA. The goal is to find 6 AGT caches in each of 10 counties. So far, I have 2 counties complete. If the weather cooperates I'd like to finish at least 4 by the end of May.

My really unorthodox goal is to have more "regular" sized cache finds than "micro" sized finds. As of today, I'm within 10 caches of completing this goal. Next month I'll be there for sure.

Another "unorthodox" goal of mine is to strive to hide better caches. This will probably be a lifelong goal though, not one that's ever actually complete.

My biggest accomplishment/goal to date was completing the PA Delorme Challenge. That was by far my favorite geocaching accomplishment. I only wish I'd kept track of the hours and miles I spent to do that one.

I'd like to stumble upon at least one crime scene looking for a cache.....

You said unorthodox, right?

Why is it that the first thing that came to mind was someone drawing a chalk outline around YOU. :P

Watch what ya wish for. Ya just might get it. :D

Edited by Snoogans

Of the 4560 caches placed in Oregon before April 26 2006, only 3 were never found. Two of those are DNF'd by enough cachers that they probably washed away with spring floods. The one "old" cache to go for in Oregon is an ammocan in Hells Canyon. GCR6F8 Little Deep. If you go for it carry your camping gear and come out the next day.

Several states, including Oregon have "Fizzy" challenges where the goal is to match all 81 combos of D/T.

In 2006 less than 10 cachers completed "Counting Counties in Oregon" (GCR9XY) which involved finding a cache in each of the 36 counties of Oregon. Pennsylvania has 67 counties but is only about half the size. With the time and resources a good cacher should be able to find caches in 3 adjacent counties each day.

I'll keep working on the Fizzy challenge since there is no real time limit and I don't have to travel to every corner of Oregon again.

Someday I hope to find another logbook signed by Dave Ulmer. He doesn't log online but he still does geocache from time to time.

The other goal which is going to happen next month is going to GeoWoodstock VI in California.

It's not ALL about the numbers but about how much fun you have. I'm not afraid to file a DNF when I'm not having fun anymore.

Tom Fuller (native Pennsylvanian now living in Oregon)

I have one that's yet to be found, and it's been out almost a year. Want to go for it?

Geez that's remote! I think I'll let that one age a few years while I brush up on my kayaking skills.

But thanks for the idea. I love BC!

That looks like an unbelievable area! But are you sure the cache hasn't been muggled? Might be time for a maintenance check. :P

My goals are to find at least one cache in each county of my state (Pennsylvania) as well as all bordering states. Yeah, I have a LOOOONG way to go on that, but that's part of the fun. I also just found my 81st cache today which got me thinking, that's number of possible combinations of difficulty/terrain ratings for a cache. So now I have it in my head that I want to find each possible combination of difficulty and terrain ratings. Looking into it, that's harder than it sounds actually, as many are very uncommon (the closest matching one was actually over 100 miles away!)

So does anybody else set these kind of goals for themselves? I'd be interested to hear what kind of ideas others have came up with.

Our only real goal is to keep having fun with the game, and we do!

Unorthodox goals? Hmmm.

Would like to place a cache that all finders put in their top 10. Maybe that's not unorthodox, dunno.

Would like to place a cache that's truly new/unique/different in some way. I have one in the works that I think will be unique. Hope so anyway.

StumpWater

California has an interesting challenge called the Bay Area Quadrangle Challenge in which one has to find one physical cache in each of the 70 USGS quadrangles surrounding San Francisco Bay. This is GCYNR9. Plus, once you find them and report back to the cache owner you he'll email you the coords to the final cache, which is rated 4/4 and is in an area frequented by mtn lions and bobcats. :P So far I only have about 15 quads. It'll take me a year or more to finish this one.

California has an interesting one called Bay Area Quadrangle Challenge GCYNR9 in which one has to find one cache in each of the 70 USGS quadrangles surrounding the San Francisco Bay. Plus, having done that, the owner then emails the coords to the final cache that is rated 4/4. :P The cache is said to be located in an area frequented by mtn lions and bobcats. :D So far I only have about 15 quads found. This will likely take me a year or more to complete. Good thing there's no time limit. :D

I would imagine that 1/5 and 5/5 caches would be few and far between

I really want to do a 5/5 cache - I guess that isn't an out there goal however :P

Out of curiosity, how did you make that chart? - Or did you make it yourself?

Edited by Taoiseach

If the everyday addiction isn't enough, I find the "Difficulty / Terrain" combo goal quite intriguing!! I just today reached my goal of 100 caches. I have used a GPSr for hunting and fishing for years, and just recently started geo-caching. I love my Garmin 60csx and have it loaded with Topo.

I think my new goal will be to see if I can get to 1000 by my one year anniversary. Oh ... and that "Difficulty / Terrain thing too. :lol:

OK, I'll play:

- I'd like to see one of my caches have at least 7 people "watching" it (the most I've seen locally is 6).

- I'd like to find all of the puzzle caches of Punctatus (no hints please, I'm 5 for 7 already).

- for finds, I'd like to average 1 per day...like an apple-a-day. I'm pretty close so far.

- I'd like to see one of my caches have a dozen or so photos posted to the gallery.

My personal goal is to enjoy the individual hunt. I pick and choose which caches I hunt.

I'll echo the desire for the hunts on caches rarely found. These are my favorites. As it stands we're the only other finders of a cache placed nearly 6 years ago now. It takes a power boat and is a 27 mile round trip.

Anyway, I don't have goals based on groupings of caches. I don't use any individual cache as an excuse to further a goal. It's the individual cache, the adventure, I'm after.

Last year I accomplished the same goal set by the OP.... I found multiple caches in every Pennsylvania county. I had some excellent roadtrips!

Some of this year's goals are also unorthodox. I keep track of my progress on my profile page. Many of the goals are made easy to track because of the "It's Not About the Numbers" website. I am having so much fun coloring in my maps! This has become way more important than my absolute number of finds. Here are the goals:

1. To have at least 100 finds in 12 different US counties (8 down, 4 to go).

2. To get to 750 finds in the State of Ohio (496 down, 249 to go).

3. To get to 100 finds each in West Virginia (34 to go) and Maryland (74 to go).

4. To log at least one find on each of the 81 different Terrain Star and Difficulty Star combinations (70 down, 11 to go).

5. To log at least 400 caches with a terrain rating of 3 or higher (308 down, 92 to go).

6. To get our "States Cached" list up to 35 states (Now at 29, added SC so far)

7. To find a cache in each of Ohio's 88 Counties (30 down, 58 to go).

8. To get at least 250 "color changes" on the "It's Not About the Numbers" county maps (70 changes so far in 2008).

9. To archive some seldom-found caches, then hide and maintain enough so that I have 50 active, quality caches. (31 active hides)

10. To find 100 caches in 24 hours, solo with no advance assistance, phone-a-friend or other support of any kind. (I've picked out three likely areas in Ohio where I think I can do this.)

1. Just once, just to see if I can, find 100 caches solo in a weekend.

2. Find my 1000th cache before my 7th anniversary.

3. Hide about 20 more and maintain all my hides.

4. Leave every cache better.

5. Do all of Tahosa's caches in some wild several week adventure.

6. Go cache in Alaska and Australia.

7. Meet as many people in the Forum top 50 post list as I can.

Here are a few goals that I set at the beginning of last last year, and want to complete within the next 2-3:

- 25+ finds in 25 different states- done!

- 500+ finds more than 500 miles from home- done!

- 10+ finds in all 50 states (19 states to go, all have at least one)

- all counties, and 200+ finds in AR, LA, MS, TN, AL, GA, NC, SC, FL

- a find in 1,000 US counties (I'm nearly at 900)

- a find in each Canadian province (5 down, at least two more soon to come)

- a find in 10 countries (I'm only at 3 so far)

- a cache in each of 4 world hemispheres; north/south of the equator, east/west of the prime meridian

- a cache in every US county that these interstates pass through: I-20 (24 needed), I-40 (6), I-55 (9), I-65 (13), I-75 (22), I-85 (6)

- one of each diff/terrain combo

I would imagine that 1/5 and 5/5 caches would be few and far between

I really want to do a 5/5 cache - I guess that isn't an out there goal however :lol:

Out of curiosity, how did you make that chart? - Or did you make it yourself?

I got this chart from ItsNotAboutTheNumbers.com. You need to be a premium member to get the "my finds" PQ, then upload it to the website.

Primary goals:

Increase interest in caching in this area.

Do whatever I can to help other cachers enjoy the hobby.

Meet and cache with as many of the regular posters on these forums as I can (and have a couple beers with 'em).

Secondary goals:

Find a cache in every state. (14 down)

Start/hide a DeLorme cache for ND and then complete it.

Move back to Alaska and cache in the Last Frontier until the day I die.

Team Sieni's mission is to provide photos and reports on any interesting fungi found growing near to caches. We were fungus hunters before we were cachers and the two go together nicely.

Obviously it's a bit or a seasonal mission, and we happily log caches if we haven't found any interesting fungi - it's not a pre-condition for logging!

Would love to be in America long enough to doa Delorme Challenge. Or even one of the ones where you have to find one in each state.

The fizzy challenges sounds like a really long term goal. Not sure how you get 81, too cold today for my brain to work properly!

What is a fizzy challenge?

Would love to be in America long enough to doa Delorme Challenge. Or even one of the ones where you have to find one in each state.

The fizzy challenges sounds like a really long term goal. Not sure how you get 81, too cold today for my brain to work properly!

What is a fizzy challenge?

Several states, including Oregon have "Fizzy" challenges where the goal is to match all 81 combos of D/T.

I still don't get how you get 81 combos - oh beep - doh! now I can. I wasn't counting the halves as you all could probably guess. :huh:

At this stage I have 28 so not even half way, but then again I have past the quater way mark. :D

1. Clear out our DNF list (it stands at 10 unresolved DNF's at the moment).

2. See a real rattlesnake on the trail. And take lots of pictures of it!

3. Find 50 caches in one day. Not easy to do with a kindergartener in tow!

4. Set up an earthcache of our own.

5. Actually release a geocoin rather than hoarding them like a miser.