Etrex Vista HCx (POIs versus Geocache waypoints)

Please bear with me, i'm a four year Magellan Meridian Gold user who received my new Garmin today. :blink:

With my old Merigold, I could export multiple files or databases filled with waypoints for different areas. When I entered a different area, I would simply delete all waypoints, then load the new area waypoints.

Is a similar function possible using the Vista HCx? I'm exporting the waypoints via GSAK, using the "send to GPS command." From what i've read, some Garmin users are opting to download geocaches as POIs, to organize, label, etc.

Can some one point me to a thread or website showing how this is done.

Thanks in advance!

Please bear with me, i'm a four year Magellan Meridian Gold user who received my new Garmin today. :blink:

With my old Merigold, I could export multiple files or databases filled with waypoints for different areas. When I entered a different area, I would simply delete all waypoints, then load the new area waypoints.

Is a similar function possible using the Vista HCx? I'm exporting the waypoints via GSAK, using the "send to GPS command." From what i've read, some Garmin users are opting to download geocaches as POIs, to organize, label, etc.

Can some one point me to a thread or website showing how this is done.

Thanks in advance!

I went the exact same route as you: Merigold to Vista HCx. (Actually love them both. But they do work very differently)

I currently use Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK), the POI macro for GSAK and the POI loader from Garmin. I download PQs for the whole state and import the 3000+ caches into my Vista in just minutes.

Here is a thread about how learning about POIs evolved for me after I bought a Vista HCx. I stumbled around a bit by experimenting but learned quite a lot.

Also, this thread about "Silly Garmin POI Tricks" may help you

Thanks Cliff Hangar, that is exactly what I was looking for !

So far I installed the GSAK Macro, created a "Garmin/POI folder," and installed the Garmin POI Downloader.

I opened GSAK, ran the macro, and exported the files from the database I was using into the POI folder. I was left with multiple different sets of POIs.

I then used Garmin's POI Downloader to send the POIs to my GPS.

I'm assuming I can send the multiple POI files to my GPS if I download GPSBabel, then stitch the files into a single output file. Is this the procedure you use?

I should point out that my current PQs include Traditional caches, Multis, Earthcaches, and Virtuals as one file. I'm assuming that I need to create PQs for different geocaches instead?

I followed your lead, and created a POI-NEW folder, and then created a Caches subfolder. I'm still playing with it, but have not figured out how to make this a single file when I open the POI screen on my GPS.

Edited by Kit Fox

Thanks Cliff Hangar, that is exactly what I was looking for !

So far I installed the GSAK Macro, created a "Garmin/POI folder," and installed the Garmin POI Downloader.

I opened GSAK, ran the macro, and exported the files from the database I was using into the POI folder. I was left with multiple different sets of POIs.

I then used Garmin's POI Downloader to send the POIs to my GPS.

I'm assuming I can send the multiple POI files to my GPS if I download GPSBabel, then stitch the files into a single output file. Is this the procedure you use?

I use GSAK, POI Macro, POI Loader. GPSBabel would probably do it since that is the translation engine behind GSAK. But, I don't know how to do it with just GPSBabel

I should point out that my current PQs include Traditional caches, Multis, Earthcaches, and Virtuals as one file. I'm assuming that I need to create PQs for different geocaches instead?

No, not if you use the POI macro. The macro will sort them out for you. Did you d/l the custom icons?

I followed your lead, and created a POI-NEW folder, and then created a Caches subfolder. I'm still playing with it, but have not figured out how to make this a single file when I open the POI screen on my GPS.

I think it depends on WHERE you point the POI Loader to read from. Use the "Please Select the directory where the data files can be found" and browse as follows: Try it once pointing to your "POI-NEW" and see what happens. Check it out on your GPS. Then try it pointing to your "Caches" subfolder to see the difference.

Read carefully my last post in this thread. Especially the numbered items

"Here's a folder structure with "Bill's POI" as a main folder, "Caches" as a sub-folder and some individual files:

<Bill's POI>

..<Caches>

......multi.bmp

......multi.gpx

......Trad.bmp

......Trad.gpx

......owned.bmp

......owned.gpx

4) Running POI loader and pointing it to <Bill's POI> folder will create one database named "Caches". It will actually be named "poi.gpi" but will show up in your GPSr as "Caches" database. Multi caches will have the multi symbol, Trad caches will have the Trad symbol, etc.

5) Running POI loader and pointing it to the <Caches> folder will create 3 different databases: Multi, Trad and Owned. Each will use the correct symbol. Multi caches will have the multi symbol, Trad caches will have the Trad symbol, etc. You can load them individually by "select database" on your GPSr. The strange thing is that they will also show up as a single file named "poi.gpi" but will show up in your GPSr as selectable Multi, Trad and Owned databases. "

But, read the whole thread. Let me know if you need further explanation. It took me a bunch of tries to figure it out.

I missed the part about renaming the CSV file to match the bmp. This should help me with the icons not working. :blink:

I messed with GSAK's filters, and can't seem to figure out how to filter for a type of cache, then run a macro specifically for that type of cache. When I tried, the macro downloaded all types.

I've resorted to moving all my traditionals to their own database, then doing the same for earthcaches, etc.

I'm assuming that I need to follow the "Silly POI" thread and use my card reader to open the micro sd card, to name the databases to "trad," "earth," etc.

Thanks again for your guidance!

What i've done so far is to create a POI folder called "Trad," with the "Trad.bmp" image in the same folder. I exported this to my GPS using the Garmin POI loader. When the waypoints show up on my GPS (map screen) they look like treasure boxes.

I powered the unit off, removed the Microsd card, then opened it using a card reader. I renamed the file "Trad.poi." I repeated this process for earthcaches.

When I open the custom POI folder (by pressing and holding the find button) I found the separate folders, but they were both listed as "caches."

Edited by Kit Fox

I missed the part about renaming the CSV file to match the bmp. This should help me with the icons not working. :o

I messed with GSAK's filters, and can't seem to figure out how to filter for a type of cache, then run a macro specifically for that type of cache. When I tried, the macro downloaded all types.

I've resorted to moving all my traditionals to their own database, then doing the same for earthcaches, etc.

I'm assuming that I need to follow the "Silly POI" thread and use my card reader to open the micro sd card, to name the databases to "trad," "earth," etc.

Thanks again for your guidance!

Actually, I eventually found out I didn't have to follow all the steps in the Silly POI thread. I Export different .gpx files from my different GSAK databases (Default, North County, Desert, Found, Owned, Benchmarks, etc.). Each of these are put into a folder called "Update" on my PC.

I keep all the different "Unfound" types (Earthcaches, Terracaches, etc.), except Puzzles, in three databases, depending on location (North County, Desert, and Default -- within 35 mi. radius). In those, I use GSAK filters to get the results I want for a day of caching. The Puzzles live in their own database, until I have corrected coordinates. Then they are moved to the Default database.

I Export a .gpx file of all the caches in the Default database and call it "Unfound.gpx." Then I Export the .gpx file of the Active caches in my "Found" GSAK database and call it "Found." Then I filter my Founds for the "Archived caches" and Export a "Found Archived" .gpx files.

From my "Desert" Database, I send another .gpx file named "Desert."

So, I do what Cliff Hanger describes.

Under the Update folder, I end up with these files:

. . . Unfound.gpx

. . . Unfound.bmp (Treasure Chest)

. . . Found.gpx

. . . Found.bmp (Open Treasure Chest)

. . . FoundArchived.gpx

. . . FoundArchived.bmp (Tombstone icon)

. . . Desert.gpx

. . . Desert.bmp (Treasure Chest)

. . . MyCaches.gpx

. . . MyCaches.bmp (Camera icon)

. . . Benchmarks

. . . Benchmarks.bmp (Blue dot)

I run the POI Loader and point it to the Update folder on my PC. It loads all 9,000+ POIs at one time. :blink:

When I look at the Custom POIs and choose Select Database from the Menu, I see all the separate categories in the list. :o If I look at it in USB Mass Storage option (Menu/Setup/Interface), I see only the one POI file.

Ok I managed to download multiple POIs, and when I select one, it shows the correct icon. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to bulk load POIs onto the map.

For example: I select the database "Traditional" which gives me a list of all the traditional caches. When I select one cache on the list, it shows up on the map, I see no method to select all the traditional caches.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone know how to mod the GSAK POI macro to use %drop2 rather than %smart name? I prefer GC codes to names.

I don't use the Macro. I just modify the .gpx Export, .pdb Export, or "Send to GPS" dialogue boxes to contain the "smart name" information I want.

I use the "smart name" codes for the Waypoint names, but include the "GC Code" in the POI Export, in case I need it.

I don't use the Macro. I just modify the .gpx Export, .pdb Export, or "Send to GPS" dialogue boxes to contain the "smart name" information I want.

Doesn't that send the info to the GPSr as "waypoints"? Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the OP was asking about POIs. I think we are limited to 1000 waypoints but POIs are limited only by the memory of the SD card.

I use the "smart name" codes for the Waypoint names, but include the "GC Code" in the POI Export, in case I need it.

I don't follow. Do you use the Garmin POI Loader at all? Or are you only loading "waypoints" & "geocaches" to your GPSr?

For the .gpx Export for the POIs I use a "smart name" code that gives me the cache owner's name, the hint, and the GC code.

When I am sending Waypoints to the GPSr, I use different codes since there aren't as many characters available for those, as there are for the .gpx Export.

Doesn't that send the info to the GPSr as "waypoints"? Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the OP was asking about POIs. I think we are limited to 1000 waypoints but POIs are limited only by the memory of the SD card.

I don't follow. Do you use the Garmin POI Loader at all? Or are you only loading "waypoints" & "geocaches" to your GPSr?

I'm more interested in managing multiple files for the purpose of flexibility when traveling, rather than needing to carry my laptop with me.

So far, I managed to create separate databases, but the information is currently useless, until I can figure out how to see all the caches in an area.

When I cache, I like to drive and find caches along the way, by making quick glances at the map, then looking for nearby caches on the gps map. Having to continually go through the "find nearby POIs" procedure just won't cut it :blink:

I'm more interested in managing multiple files (POIs) for the purpose of flexibility when traveling, rather than needing to carry my laptop with me.

So far, I managed to create separate databases, but the information is currently useless, until I can figure out how to see all the caches in an area.

When I cache, I like to drive and find caches along the way, by making quick glances at the GPS map. Having to continually go through the "find nearby POIs" procedure just won't cut it :blink:

Edited by Kit Fox

I've been mulling over whether to change from PDA-based geocaching to using a Garmin and have been reading these threads about using GSAK, etc to upload the waypoints to the Garmin. Can you just load a PQ GPX file directly onto your micro SD card and upload it to the Garmin or do you have to manipulate it first with GSAK?

Sorry I left you hanging. I was out rock climbing today. Did 5 routes, self belayed solo. Not bad for a 54 year old dude, eh?

I'm more interested in managing multiple files (POIs) for the purpose of flexibility when traveling

I'm not sure why, since the Vista will manage literally thousands of POIs. It just displays the ones that are closest to you. As I said, if the name of the bitmap symbol (ie Traditional) matches the name of the gpx file and is in the same folder as the gpx file, then the correct bitmap is assigned to the POI when you run POI Loader.

However, there is no need to run separate gpx files for each type of cache. The beauty of the POI macro is that it handles all of that for you. It looks like Miragee runs one export for each type of cache. I run ONE macro for all of Connecticut. The macro sends 18 different csv files (instead of gpx) to my POI-NEW > Caches folder. The names of these cvs files match the bitmaps in that folder. (Note that capital and lower case naming is important!) Hence, when the POI loader does it's thing, it "attaches" the correct bitmap to each POI. Make sure you download the bitmaps from here

Since I point the POI loader to the "root" (POI-NEW instead of Caches) it creates one non-selectable database named "Caches". All the different POIs are in that one database with correctly assigned symbols. If I was to point the POI Loader to the "Caches" sub-folder, it would still create one file for transfer to the Vista. HOWEVER, within that one file would be 18 selectable "databases" such as: multi, found, traditional etc. And, I believe, you can only select one at a time - not sure, though. They might be additive.

You don't have to switch from one database to another. (Unless you have a reason that I can't see) That idea is a holdover from the way your Merigold worked. I fell into the same trap. Trust me, put all the POIs into one file by pointing the POI Loader to the "POI-NEW" root.

When I cache, I like to drive and find caches along the way, by making quick glances at the GPS map. Having to continually go through the "find nearby POIs" procedure just won't cut it :blink:

Ahhhhh....... You don't have to "find nearby POIs" procedure. You want to see them on your map.

From your map page, click the page button. Do Setup Map > Points and then set Map Point and User Waypoint to something like 500 feet. The points you want will then show up on your map when you are zoomed down to 500 feet. And it will show all types with the correct symbol if you followed the procedure I wrote above.

<snip>

Unlike your Magellan, you can send almost 1000 waypoints to your GPS unit at one time without having to divide them up into smaller groups. So, if you do a "Cache Along A Route" PQ for a trip you are taking and get 300 caches, you can put those into a GSAK database and combine those with a PQ of 500 caches at your final destination.

You send all 800 of those as Waypoints at one time and they can be found by "Nearest" or by "Name" if they are not in the "50 Nearest List." You can see the Geocaches on the screen as you drive, at any scale, without having to zoom in as you have to in order to see the Custom POIs.

I don't divide up the Unfound caches by "Type" because the "smart name" codes I use tell me whether I am looking for a Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Earthcache, or Puzzle. %smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

The only reason I use the Custom POIs is because I get a bit more information in the description, including the GC code, if I need it, and because sometimes I need info on a cache I already Found, or need the coordinates of a cache I own. The code I use for the Cache Description for the .gpx Export is this: %By %Hint %Code That gives me the cache owner, the Hint, and the GC code.

The beauty of GSAK and the "smart name" codes is that you can customize them to give you the information that is most useful to you for the way you cache.

I hope this makes some sense . . . :o

Sorry I left you hanging. I was out rock climbing today. Did 5 routes, self belayed solo. Not bad for a 54 year old dude, eh?

Ahhhhh....... You don't have to "find nearby POIs" procedure. You want to see them on your map.

From your map page, click the page button. Do Setup Map > Points and then set Map Point and User Waypoint to something like 500 feet. The points you want will then show up on your map when you are zoomed down to 500 feet. And it will show all types with the correct symbol if you followed the procedure I wrote above.

Bingo!!!! :lol::laughing:

That was what the problem was. Cliff Hanger, you rock! Now I can see all of the POIs. Apparently, I'm using a different version of the macro . I used your version, and it worked great.