Challenge Cache

South Lyon Trekkers

I have heard of many different caches based on challenges. The Fizzy Challange, The Delorme Challenge, state county challenges, ABC challenges (cache and city name), and so on. They are usually listed as unknown caches, but require caches to be found in other places, like the Fizzy Challange which requires a cache found at each D/T combination. I'd like to see GC.com create a Challenge Cache type for these. Creation of the cache type might have more strict requirements so they are not created on a whim and do offer a good challenge. Maybe even make these cache types sponsored by local or state organizations or GC.com. This cache type would show completion of the challenge and not necessitate an actual cache whose location could be some distance within the state or country. Since this is a challenge, the completion of the challenge is what would count and not the find of a cache that is to represent the completion.

I have heard of many different caches based on challenges. The Fizzy Challange, The Delorme Challenge, state county challenges, ABC challenges (cache and city name), and so on. They are usually listed as unknown caches, but require caches to be found in other places, like the Fizzy Challange which requires a cache found at each D/T combination. I'd like to see GC.com create a Challenge Cache type for these. Creation of the cache type might have more strict requirements so they are not created on a whim and do offer a good challenge. Maybe even make these cache types sponsored by local or state organizations or GC.com. This cache type would show completion of the challenge and not necessitate an actual cache whose location could be some distance within the state or country. Since this is a challenge, the completion of the challenge is what would count and not the find of a cache that is to represent the completion.

I haven't looked at all the challenge caches, but the challenge cachse I've seen had a "bonus" cache after the requisite challenge was met to achieve the "Findable signed log" of the challenge cache. Also, what you're suggesting looks like a backdoor attempt at a virtual cache. Maybe my perception is off. That being said, I like the idea of a new attribute for challenge caches for PQ filters.

That's not a cache. That's just keeping statistics. With a challenge cache, it's a real cache with an ALR.

This site could create cache challenges that cachers get when they meet certain milestones. 100 Finds. 100 Hides. One cache in each county, in the state. Etc. They would appear like merit batches when the conditions are met.

They could send us a pin for these like the Earth Cache People :)

Bronze - 1000+ Found (7+ different types of caches found) 50+ Hidden (3+ types)

Silver - 2500+ Found (9+ types) 100+ Hidden (4+ types)

Gold - 5000+ Found (9+ types) 200+ Hidden (5+ types)

Platinum - 7500+ Found (9+ types) 300+ Hidden (6+ types)

Diamond - 10000+ Found (9+ types) 500+ Hidden (7+ types)

Just a little pin with the geocaching logo, or maybe Signal

This site could create cache challenges that cachers get when they meet certain milestones. 100 Finds. 100 Hides. One cache in each county, in the state. Etc. They would appear like merit batches when the conditions are met.

I really hate doing this as I'll get labelled as a Waymarking zealot, but I have to mention that Waymarking has this type of feature already (Waymarking Awards, and Category Grids (Waymarking bingo cards)). This isn't an attempt to promote Waymarking, simply that what appears in Waymarking has a chance of appearing in geocaching later.

I've always thought that you could put a selection of optional sub-games in there. Perhaps your profile could be given more kudos depending on what you've collected, for instance (Geocaching Grand Master if all types of cache found? :) ). If you can opt in or out, I can't see the harm in allowing a small selection of fun (but official) challenges which appeal to a subset of the community.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I was just coming in to say the same thing about Waymarking's awards and category grids, so I'll not be the one to call anyone a "zealot." Statistical games like these examples would be fine. Creating a containerless "geocache" with which to recognize statistical accomplishments would be dumb. I say that as someone who owns two challenges and is currently working on finding two others... because they all have containers and logbooks.

I think this is moving a bit off of what I think the intended idea was. I think it was give a new icon to something like the delorme challenge for example a icon to represent that kind of cache. Not to award for hiding or finding a bunch. In Ia we have the delomre challenge and it shows as a mystery cache which to me I think of a puzzle. But what I think the OP is suggesting a new type and new icon for the type of caches that have a pre-requesite let's say. Like the delorme you have to find one cache from every page in the book for that state then when you've proving to the owner you have he/she will give you the cords to find and sign the logbook. Not creating a container-less cache.

At least that's how I interpert the post. Which I could say ya to a different catagory of these kinds of caches. They would be easier to find when searching for them or avoiding them with PQ's as well. Like I'm not even sure if we have an all-county challenge in Iowa. I haven't tried looking for it yet if one has been made for that. Nor, would I know where to start. Putting those kinds in there own special catagory would make it easier to look for. Plus another icon. :D But I guess too you would have to fully define what "those kinds" of caches are.

They could send us a pin for these like the Earth Cache People :D

Bronze - 1000+ Found (7+ different types of caches found) 50+ Hidden (3+ types)

Silver - 2500+ Found (9+ types) 100+ Hidden (4+ types)

Gold - 5000+ Found (9+ types) 200+ Hidden (5+ types)

Platinum - 7500+ Found (9+ types) 300+ Hidden (6+ types)

Diamond - 10000+ Found (9+ types) 500+ Hidden (7+ types)

Just a little pin with the geocaching logo, or maybe Signal

I'm on my way to a gold. :P

I think this is moving a bit off of what I think the intended idea was. I think it was give a new icon to something like the delorme challenge for example a icon to represent that kind of cache. Not to award for hiding or finding a bunch.

Please re-read the initial post, which contains the following:

This cache type would show completion of the challenge and not necessitate an actual cache whose location could be some distance within the state or country. Since this is a challenge, the completion of the challenge is what would count and not the find of a cache that is to represent the completion.

I'm opposed to having statistical achievement badges count as geocaches on my profile, though I'd be happy to have little award badges like in Waymarking.

As for your suggestion, Parabola, as much as I enjoy Challenge Caches, I don't want to see them have their own separate icon. Puzzle cache fans have long advocated a move out of the "catch all" category. If we start down that road, it won't be long before we're debating about special icons for Flash Mob events. Maybe little stopwatches.

then when you've proving to the owner you have he/she will give you the cords to find and sign the logbook.

Having to assure someone else that you deserve the key coordinates, after finding a certain list of caches, lets this idea down IMO. That's just too clumsy.

If it was automatic it might be different: perhaps the "challenge" cache description is kept invisible to you until you've logged a find on all the qualifying caches. Then it might be worth a different icon. Or perhaps you just automatically get the icon once you've qualified (even if you didn't realise that you did!). Obviously any challenge would have to be set up based on the geocaching.com database, so not every idea would be possible.

That would take quite a bit of work for the website developers though, so I can't see it happening. Also, the reviewers would doubtless have to check and reject hundreds of lame challenge ideas (find all three of my caches and get an icon! Find every 5* terrain cache in the country! Find every lamp post cache in my city!)

I think this is moving a bit off of what I think the intended idea was. I think it was give a new icon to something like the delorme challenge for example a icon to represent that kind of cache. Not to award for hiding or finding a bunch.

Please re-read the initial post, which contains the following:

This cache type would show completion of the challenge and not necessitate an actual cache whose location could be some distance within the state or country. Since this is a challenge, the completion of the challenge is what would count and not the find of a cache that is to represent the completion.

I'm opposed to having statistical achievement badges count as geocaches on my profile, though I'd be happy to have little award badges like in Waymarking.

As for your suggestion, Parabola, as much as I enjoy Challenge Caches, I don't want to see them have their own separate icon. Puzzle cache fans have long advocated a move out of the "catch all" category. If we start down that road, it won't be long before we're debating about special icons for Flash Mob events. Maybe little stopwatches.

I missed that part of of no contianer. Thanks for pointing that out. And ya that could lead to more and more of what deserves it's own icon or type of cache. So that would lead to more and more debate. Thanks for point that out though. I didn't catch that part.

It seems that my OP is getting a little misunderstood. Parabola seemed to have a good idea of it in his first post. My thinking behind a Challenge Cache icon is to: 1) differentiate it from puzzles and 2) Make completing the challenge the culmination. It would not be used as a merit badge for finds or hides. A Delorme or county challenge covers a large geographic area (in most states), a lot of time, and, now, a lot of money for gas. It is usually not done all at once, but over time and is a significant accomplishment. The same could be said for the Fizzy Challenge. The recognition of the accomplishment would be signified by a Challenge Cache icon. It would not culminate when a the corresponding puzzle cache is found on the other side of the state as is the current situation. I am all for making stringent guidelines for the creation of a Challenge Cache. It would neat to have a local or state organization having to sponsor it. Maybe certain types of challenges would be accepted by GC.com and limited to those challenges. The three aforementioned challenges would be good ones to start with.

I'm not misunderstanding your idea at all. I just don't agree that it qualifies as a geocache without the container and logbook at the end. Switch it to an "achivement badge" on the profile page, with no effect on one's find count, and I'll be the first to say "thumbs up."

Would you go into further details about the achievment badges. I am really thinking about that idea too. I wouldn't want them for number of finds or number of hides. But maybe a achivment badge could be assiged to one of these challenge caches, Like the delorme for example. Completing that could give you a badge. But I think those badges should be asigned by a reviewer and only a review. Them must deem it worthy.

But ya I would personnaly like to have a seperate catagory for the delorme's and the all county's. But you're all so right by doing that it would bring in lots of debate for others like flashmob event's and a stopwatch icon. Also remember I love getting new icons on my page. But yes it would led to well this one needs it's own icon just because this one is different because of this or that. Still waiting for a Wherigo to pop up near me. :D

I think both idea's have some merit to them. But giving a new icon for a cache that doesn't have a container you just get it when you achive one find in every county doesn't make sense. I do like the way our delemore is set up that you don't have the cords for it until you can prove that you have found one on every page. But there is a container.

But I do like the idea of getting a badge for completing a challenge cache. But again I don't want them for number of finds or number of hides. That would just led people to do nothing but traditionals and the quick ones. And also hide as many as a person could like going down a gravel rode and placing one every .10 of a mile for twenty miles just to get that badge. :anicute:

And yes I agree that a badge would have no effect on one's find count.

So I do understand both sides of this.

I am really enjoying the challenge caches that I have found (ABC/DeLorme) but as I detest puzzle caches (I'm stupid, and cant figure them out). I would really like a challenge icon. I have not found a challenge yet that dose not have a final cahe. If they are out there then I would think that they shouldn't make it past there reviewer. After all if there is no log to sign than its either a Earthcahe or a Waymark....right?(except grandfathered virtuals)

So I say YES........please make a diffrent icon for challenges