Vista HCx USB Power Problem

I just received a new Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. It seems to work great with battery power.

However, when I connect it to my laptop via a standard USB cable, it won't power on at all. If I power it on and then connect it, it turns off immediately.

I am not using the USB cable that came with the unit, I am using a cable that works fine with other devices (cell phone, camera, etc.). Is there something special about the Garmin cable? Unfortunately, I left that cable at home today thinking I would not need it.

I have tried removing/replacing the batteries and performing a hard reset as well, to no avail. I have tried searching this forum and the distant corners of the internet but have not been able to find any answers.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Nothing special about the Garmin cable.

I've been using both the "official" Garmin cable that came with my Vista HCx and the cable that came with my Canon A620 interchangeably with no problems with either unit. Didn't you get a USB cable with your Vista?

If your "standard" cable works ok with other devices, I wonder if there is a problem with the USB port on the Vista?

I have multiple USB cables and I don't think I have ever used the cables that came with my two etrex models. I have had a couple of issues on one computer which seemed to be a driver issue and I think I corrected that by reinstalling the other USB that didn't know it wasn't a gps.

Just wanted to update this thread...

I called Garmin and the tech said there was definitely a problem with the unit, though it was not one that he had heard of before. He suggested that I return it to the retailer.

Perhaps it's just my lowered expectations for service, but I have to say that I am very impressed with how REI handled the return. They immediately sent out a new unit (actually, it was the bundle package they recently had on sale) via FedEx, along with a pre-paid UPS return label via e-mail. All I have to do is drop the old package off anywhere that UPS picks up. So kudos to REI for that.

I have verified that the new Vista HCx works just fine and now I'm all set to start having fun! :D

Hi,

I just wanted to add that my 2 month old eTrex Vista HCx shows the exact same problem: when I insert a PC-connected USB cable the Garmin turns off immediately and can not be powered on again until I disconnect the USB cable. I guess I will also have to return it.

Cheers,

Olaf