DECON containers

So I've been looking at those military surplus DECON containers. I know they are very durable and weather proof and make great cache containers. I was wondering if anyone is using one or has found one being used as a hydro cache and how well it worked. I know that the term "waterproof" is widely variable and containers that may stay dry in a heavy downpour or breif submersion may not be worth a hoot for long term submersion. I've got a great hydro planned and these containers are the perfect size, but it has to be completely leak proof under long term submersion. I'm open to other suggestions if these aren't suitable.

I think they make poor cache containers. They are a nice size, very durable, and designed for outdoor (ab)use, but it can be tricky to get the lid sealed on tight if you are unfamiliar with them (or just lazy). More often than not I've found these to have soggy contents. I would suggest a pelican case or something else that is designed for underwater storage and use. Check a local dive shop for options.

Edited by wimseyguy

I stopped using them a long time ago because they are not waterproof. At least most of the ones I've owned weren't.

The lids fit with varying degree of snugness and most of the ones I've had you can actually jiggle the lid a bit when it is in place. I've had a few where the lid had a snug fit, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Even with those a lot of cachers can't be bothered to close the container correctly. Sometimes the strap gets caught in the seal and sometimes they just don't close all 4 corners.

I got sick of drying out the contents of my decon box caches and pulled them all and replaced them with Lock n Locks. I either gave them away or used them for middle stages of multis where I could seal the coords in a Ziploc so they would stay dry.

I sincerely doubt that even a decon box with the snuggest fitting lid would stay dry submerged for any length of time.

I have found just too many with moisture inside. They really should seal better but as has been mentioned, the lids are often not snapped on correctly or tight.

My sink tests at home showed them to be a good container but just didn't hold up well in the field. Things get caught too easily in the lid. I can't prove it but I suspect that temperature fluctuations have a fairly dramatic effect on the seal quality.

You could always make your submerged cache a multi. Stage one could be the underwater stage and hold coordinates to the final, which could be on dry land. This offers some flexibility with hide styles and containers.

You could write the coords on a piece of paper and have it sealed and then wrap it around the inside of a clear bottle. Fill the bottle with sand, rocks or something similiar. The paper and coordinates would be jammed up against the side of the container and clearly visible without having to open anything. The coords would probably stay even if water leaked into the container.

You could also do a "double container" like a matchstick holder inside another sealed container. They'd have to swim to the top to open it, but that may work too.

So I've been looking at those military surplus DECON containers. I know they are very durable and weather proof and make great cache containers. I was wondering if anyone is using one or has found one being used as a hydro cache and how well it worked. I know that the term "waterproof" is widely variable and containers that may stay dry in a heavy downpour or breif submersion may not be worth a hoot for long term submersion. I've got a great hydro planned and these containers are the perfect size, but it has to be completely leak proof under long term submersion. I'm open to other suggestions if these aren't suitable.

They hold up great in this area, but cachers here know how to close them. I would not call them waterpoof though and something else would be better for submersion.

I think they make poor cache containers. They are a nice size, very durable, and designed for outdoor (ab)use, but it can be tricky to get the lid sealed on tight if you are unfamiliar with them (or just lazy). More often than not I've found these to have soggy contents. I would suggest a pelican case or something else that is designed for underwater storage and use. Check a local dive shop for options.

I second the Pelican cases. Of all the underwater containers I've seen in the San Diego area, the two Pelican cases I saw were the only ones with dry contents. Those irrigation PVC tubes with screw-in lids also don't work; they work for water flowing through them, but not for being immersed.

Has anyone tried placing an ammo can under water, or seen one underwater? They appear to have a good seal.

pelican-cases.jpg

it has to be completely leak proof under long term submersion

The best place to find something that's going to be completely leak proof under long term submersion is a dive store. I have a couple of underwater light battery canisters in use as hydro-caches. They work perfectly; eventually I'll have to replace the O rings. They aren't cheap.

A decon isn't suitable at all.

Clan Riffster has a lock and lock inside an ammo can as a submerge cache. It's been doing okay for a while. This may be the cheapest option. JoGPS has an ammo can as an underwater container - it too has been in use for a while, and is functioning. I'd be leery of just an ammo can (especially in salt water!). You'd need to find one with a pristine gasket. But there is at least one in service this way.

I've seen Pelican cases in wet areas, but not underwater. Apparently they will also work.

I second the Pelican cases. Of all the underwater containers I've seen in the San Diego area, the two Pelican cases I saw were the only ones with dry contents. Those irrigation PVC tubes with screw-in lids also don't work; they work for water flowing through them, but not for being immersed.

Has anyone tried placing an ammo can under water, or seen one underwater? They appear to have a good seal.

pelican-cases.jpg

I've seen pictures on this forum that speaks volumes. Ammo cans are a much better chose than decon containers.

50bcac4e-2716-42c3-95ba-6d9559d13cc4.jpg

431616_200.JPG

Thank you everyone for all of the replies. I'm about to hide my first two caches, already have my locations and names picked out in fact. I even have the caches themselves put together, just missing an adequate container for the hydro which is the final on a multi. Pelicans sound like the way to go but they are pricey. I saw something that looked just like a Pelican box at China-Mart for $5 think I'll pick one up and sink it for a few days to see if it will work.

Thank you everyone for all of the replies. I'm about to hide my first two caches, already have my locations and names picked out in fact. I even have the caches themselves put together, just missing an adequate container for the hydro which is the final on a multi. Pelicans sound like the way to go but they are pricey. I saw something that looked just like a Pelican box at China-Mart for $5 think I'll pick one up and sink it for a few days to see if it will work.

I found a Pelican at Goodwill for .99