Knife for a Travel Bug?

Adium

Found this in a cache that I own the other day. Since it was my own cache I don't normally take things out of the cache but this item kinda surprised me. It was a knife. On top of that it was a travel bug that has traveled over 2,000 miles and not a single soul has said anything about it.

I am puzzled, am I right or is there a hole in the policy on knives that I missed?

The travel bug code is TB1CQM1

8db8b9db-04f7-4bec-b371-d5896aba5a3b.jpg

Edited by Adium

Not much of a knife, but a knife all the same!

Could you consider dulling all the edges and then putting it back out so it's kind of "disarmed?"

Someone wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, were they, lol!

Ok, so that was a bad one, I just couldn't resist! Sorry :P :lol :D

Naomi

Well, it isn't a good idea, because little children might play with them. Since this one has a sheath on it, and isn't a dangerous deadly knife, there isn't much you can do. It isn't the first one either. Keep the cover on it.

Wow. Bad answer. If I put an unloaded actual gun TB (complete with a trigger lock, and a cover on it) in a cache it isn't dangerous? And there isn't much you could do about it?

Well, it isn't a good idea, because little children might play with them. Since this one has a sheath on it, and isn't a dangerous deadly knife, there isn't much you can do. It isn't the first one either. Keep the cover on it.

Wow. Bad answer. If I put an unloaded actual gun TB (complete with a trigger lock, and a cover on it) in a cache it isn't dangerous? And there isn't much you could do about it?

A pocketknife isn't the same as a gun.

A pocketknife isn't the same as a gun.

That's right, it's not a gun and it's funny how quickly this went over board.

Now if someone had a bowie knife in a cache as a travel bug then that would be flat out dumb.

That knife in the picture is more for cleaning under your finger nails. :P

I think that you should return the bug tag to the owner if you do not feel comfortable letting the pocketknife travel. You are the person physically stopping the bug so you should give the tag back so that way the owner can move a new bug out.

Or offer to replace the bug on the tag, turning it into something new if the owner will let you.

either way, good luck. Happy caching.

-the mule

I think that you should return the bug tag to the owner if you do not feel comfortable letting the pocketknife travel. You are the person physically stopping the bug so you should give the tag back so that way the owner can move a new bug out.

Or offer to replace the bug on the tag, turning it into something new if the owner will let you.

-the mule

I would go a step further and say put the bug back as it is in another cache and leave your personal opinions out of it. I am sure it was a rational person that placed it and understood like the rest of us that it is a very small pocket knife capable of very little harm except for a possible cut used by an unsupervised child. Children can find a lot easier ways of cutting themselves. They do not have to find this knife in a hidden cache to do it. Most of them just have to go to the kitchen. Put it back or give it back. Do not damage it by dulling it. It is not yours.

First off why would you waste $200 on a gun to send off as a TB

Secondly a gun is fundamentaly differnt from a knife as its main purpose is to kill a knifes isnt,

Thirdly it wouldnt matter as there would be no amunition in the gun.

:P

I would wrap a piece of regular old tape around it so a kid isn't going to accidentally open it, put it back in the sheath and move it along to a new cache. I have seen hundreds of travel bugs and wouldn't have given this one a second thought either. I do agree with Eartha that it isn't the best of ideas but let it go.

-the mule

I would go a step further and say put the bug back as it is in another cache and leave your personal opinions out of it. I am sure it was a rational person that placed it and understood like the rest of us that it is a very small pocket knife capable of very little harm except for a possible cut used by an unsupervised child. Children can find a lot easier ways of cutting themselves. They do not have to find this knife in a hidden cache to do it. Most of them just have to go to the kitchen. Put it back or give it back. Do not damage it by dulling it. It is not yours.

You obviously don't have little children. I have a two year old little girl and I usually let her fumble through the cache and take whatever she wants while I sign the log. I would like to think that she wouldn't grab something like this.

To me, as a parent a little cut might be fairly harmless, but seeing my little girl cry breaks my heart. If she does get cut even minor, I will stop Geocaching immediately take her home and make sure its clean and doesn't get infected. If you would use this to clean your nails, why would I want that bacteria inside my daughter's finger? Plus I also have no clue where this knife has been.

Regardless of the size, if you stab someone in the right place they can bleed out in a matter of seconds. There are a lot of cache's I have found that are quite far from civilization. I had to call 911 last month while caching in a local park, in a decent sized city, took 6 minutes for them to reach me. I don't see how size has anything to do with it, its a knife and can still do some severe damage in careless hands.

My main concern is, should I send the tag off without the knife, destroy the blade on the knife, or simply keep it as the owner is unresponsive.

-the mule

You obviously don't have little children. I have a two year old little girl and I usually let her fumble through the cache and take whatever she wants while I sign the log. I would like to think that she wouldn't grab something like this.

To me, as a parent a little cut might be fairly harmless, but seeing my little girl cry breaks my heart. If she does get cut even minor, I will stop Geocaching immediately take her home and make sure its clean and doesn't get infected. If you would use this to clean your nails, why would I want that bacteria inside my daughter's finger? Plus I also have no clue where this knife has been.

Regardless of the size, if you stab someone in the right place they can bleed out in a matter of seconds. There are a lot of cache's I have found that are quite far from civilization. I had to call 911 last month while caching in a local park, in a decent sized city, took 6 minutes for them to reach me. I don't see how size has anything to do with it, its a knife and can still do some severe damage in careless hands.

My main concern is, should I send the tag off without the knife, destroy the blade on the knife, or simply keep it as the owner is unresponsive.

You only logged this yesterday so I would suggest you need to be a bit more patient. Give the owner time to respond. Did you email them or did you just post your log on the travel bug page?

just for an example:

ebay's policy is that you must wait 10 days for a person to respond.

so if it hasn't been 10 days, just wait.

If it has been 10 days, and you cannot bring yourself to just let the bug go with the knife intact and undamaged, then send the tag out alone and wait for the owner to respond so you can mail back the knife. It isn't yours to damage.

this is just an opinion, but I'd just let the whole thing go. I cache with a two year old and I never let her open the cache ( we live in black widow friendly areas) so it wouldn't be a problem.

-the mule

You only logged this yesterday so I would suggest you need to be a bit more patient. Give the owner time to respond. Did you email them or did you just post your log on the travel bug page?

No, I grabbed it the day after it was dropped, the 7th, and finally logged it yesterday. So ironically I did wait 10 days. It's a special cache in which I keep visiting to drop in more loot that relates to a personal event.

just for an example:

ebay's policy is that you must wait 10 days for a person to respond.

so if it hasn't been 10 days, just wait.

If it has been 10 days, and you cannot bring yourself to just let the bug go with the knife intact and undamaged, then send the tag out alone and wait for the owner to respond so you can mail back the knife. It isn't yours to damage.

this is just an opinion, but I'd just let the whole thing go. I cache with a two year old and I never let her open the cache ( we live in black widow friendly areas) so it wouldn't be a problem.

I live in Upstate NY, I have to watch out for deer and thats it.

http://adium.razornylon.com/2008/04/hannas-cache/

Here is a video of my daughter finding and opening a cache. I let her do this often.

No, I grabbed it the day after it was dropped, the 7th, and finally logged it yesterday. So ironically I did wait 10 days. It's a special cache in which I keep visiting to drop in more loot that relates to a personal event.

I hope my quoting works.

Your online log was dated yesterday so the bug owner has had very little time to repsond. Did you email the owner on the 7th?

I hope my quoting works.

Your online log was dated yesterday so the bug owner has had very little time to repsond. Did you email the owner on the 7th?

Yes, didn't know what to log because I didn't know what to do with this TB so e-mailed him and waited. It was in a fairly active cache as its brand new so I am sure the TB would of been taken if I didn't have it.

okay well it sounds like you already have your mind made up and are just looking for one other person to verify that what you want to do it alright.

basically, but I am torn between breaking off the blade or sending the tag off without the actual TB.

okay well it sounds like you already have your mind made up and are just looking for one other person to verify that what you want to do it alright.

basically, but I am torn between breaking off the blade or sending the tag off without the actual TB.

Well put me firmly in the camp of saying that you have no right to damage the bug or to keep it or any part of it. Even the forum moderator said you should just send it on its way. And yes I have 2 kids. I simply think you are over reacting to this. But that is my opinion, which you asked for in your OP.

-the mule

As the others already said, I would simply let it go, ´cause it´s not yours to decide to dispose it.

The thing that is yours to decide is to let your child open a cache and go trough it without you checking it in advance. Caching is not a kidsgame exclusively, sure it is fun to cache with them and to them, but as a parent it is you that has to be watching your child, it´s not the others that have to take care of the safty of the places that you cache and the caches or TBs that you find...

Just my opinion...

If it's Groundspeak's policy to not allow knives in a cache, I'm confused as to why a knife TB is ok. If someone just found a knife in a cache, they would be advised to take it out, but the TB is fine to travel. :D

Would you have a problem with a metal finger nail file or a sewing needle? Both would likely be more dangerous than the kife pictured in this thread.

Lighten up Francis! It's a pen knife for Pete's sake. Lest we start wrapping ourselves in bubble wrap, the TICS are more dangerous for the little ones than the wee pen knife.

Just release the travel bug. And forget the angst. It's a nail clipper sized knife. There are many more TBs out there like it. Most cachers don't read the forums, and won't know your opinion.

Parents are supposed to be responsible for their children, and what their children get their hands into out on the trail. And responsible parents shouldn't be letting young children dive into a cache before inspecting its contents, to insure their safety. Things rust, spiders crawl, and sometimes things get icky in a cache, and you don't want them inhaling the mustiness, etc...

If it's Groundspeak's policy to not allow knives in a cache, I'm confused as to why a knife TB is ok. If someone just found a knife in a cache, they would be advised to take it out, but the TB is fine to travel. :D

Would you have a problem with a metal finger nail file or a sewing needle? Both would likely be more dangerous than the kife pictured in this thread.

I'm not saying that I have a problem with knives in caches. It used to be my favorite swag to put in caches until it was not allowed by the guidelines. I'm just asking why if the guidelines say to not have knives (however small or large) in caches, why a TB is ok.

I'm not saying that I have a problem with knives in caches. It used to be my favorite swag to put in caches until it was not allowed by the guidelines. I'm just asking why if the guidelines say to not have knives (however small or large) in caches, why a TB is ok.

Fair enough. The OP's stance seems to be that this is a dangerous thing and therefor should be removed from the caching world. He is hanging his hat on the knife issue and his young child's safety. I just don't agree with his premise. As others have very properly pointed out this is a pretty darned small knife and it would be a challenge to do much damage with it. Especially for a 2 year old who likely can't even open the knife. I won't address the parenting issues that have also been raised.

If it's Groundspeak's policy to not allow knives in a cache, I'm confused as to why a knife TB is ok. If someone just found a knife in a cache, they would be advised to take it out, but the TB is fine to travel. :anicute:

Fair enough. The OP's stance seems to be that this is a dangerous thing and therefor should be removed from the caching world. He is hanging his hat on the knife issue and his young child's safety. I just don't agree with his premise. As others have very properly pointed out this is a pretty darned small knife and it would be a challenge to do much damage with it. Especially for a 2 year old who likely can't even open the knife. I won't address the parenting issues that have also been raised.

:anicute: I understand what you're saying. I'm just being curious. :D

First off as a parent. Try teaching your kid something instead of relying on schools. Talk to your child about knives and how to properly handle them.

Second, stop exaggerating about how dangerous this knife is. You can get a deeper paper cut from the log book than this knife. And the pencil/pen can be used as a deadlier weapon as well.

Third, if you are so uptight about it send the entire bug back to the owner. you have even less rights to destroy someones TB that you feel is wrong.

Edited by Fakk 2

Children are allowed in kitchens and the knives are allowed to roam free. Meanwhile adults are required to childproof their guns.

Givne kids are legally allowed to cary a pocket knife (there is no prohibition) in most locations, this is only an issue because of the cache rule on knives.

:huh: I understand what you're saying. I'm just being curious. :huh:

Because you can post guidelines until you are blue in the face and you're still not going to reach everyone.

So, rule over everyone and yell NO! from the rooftops, or hope they use their common sense and teach their children well?

That must be how most of us survived our kitchens and dishwashing. What with all those knives and whatnot.

You call that a knife? I've always considered something like that as a fingernail grooming aid.

I once cut my finger on an arrowhead in a cache. I suppose since arrowheads have a long history as deadly weapons, they should also be excluded from caches.

Pencils are another dangerous cache item. They are considered weapons by most prisons and are a major cause of injury to children. A kid in my 4th grade class actually lost an eye due to a throw pencil in class.

I also see assorted rocks in caches on occasion. In some countries, rocks are used to execute criminals. There should be a prohibition on rocks that are small enough to be thrown.

Maybe a little personal background will also shed some light on my concern.

I recently completed 5 years of service in the United States Army. So maybe there is still a little bit of that military mentality left inside me. You do what you are told, and what the rules say to do and no further questions.

The rules say very clearly, "NO KNIVES". It doesn't have a "if", "and", or "but" anywhere in that statement. Its a very simple rule. The answer is "NO".

In my mind, (amazed to think so many people think differently), rules are rules! No twisting, bending, shifting, exceptions, VIP privileges, NOTHING! They are rules! According to the rules of Groundspeak, no knives. The creator of this travel bug, plus every person that had a hand in moving it along, are in violation of the rules.

This is a knife, regardless of what you all think about how dangerous it is, I could effortlessly kill anyone of you with it. A one inch blade held carelessly, with two fingers, to stab someone in a precise location on the arm or thigh can hit an artery causing that person to bleed out in less than 30 seconds. Easily to accidentally happen to a pair of 10 year old boys, (who are old enough to use a GPS) arguing over who can play with the knife (seen it happen) accidentally stabs the other in a location like the ones I just described.

Or imagine someone decides to do a little caching on a long lay-over at the airport grabs this TB in a hurry to visit as many caches as possible and still make their flight, ends up missing the flight cause they try to carry a knife on the plane. (I am sure airport security would call this a knife) The TB gets destroyed anyway and someone has to go through a lot of pain and agony cause they had confidence that fellow geocacher's are following Groundspeaks rules and guidelines. (I know lots of people who do this, its the best way to move a TB a very long distance quickly.)

I can sit here for hours going through possible scenarios.

If I had any authority at Groundspeak I would remove "Moderator" status from the moderator who suggested that I "let it go" or in other words said "ignore the rules". The TB would be deactivated so it is no longer trackable and the tag is scrap metal, the person who created the TB would receive a warning and be banned upon a second violation. Those who logged the TB would be sent a notice of the violation and be forced to read and agree the rules before being allowed to access their account. Like I said earlier I still have a bit of military mentality inside of me and don't take likely to disobedience. This is my own opinion based on that thinking.

Bottom line, it is in violation of the rules. I can't place this item in another cache without violating the rules myself. The owner is unresponsive to make a decision as of what to do with it. So, what do I do with it?

I am not letting it go, that is just irresponsible. It is clear though that I can't receive any reasonable answer so I will do what I think is best. I will send the tag off alone with a note explaining what happened and if the owner is ever contacted I can then mail him the knife.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. You can continue your discussion if you want, my mind is made.

...Sorry for wasting everyone's time. You can continue your discussion if you want, my mind is made.

It's a good question.

The rule is no knives in caches. The rule exists because of land manager perceptions. Not because a knive is bad swag, illegal or any of that.

Another rule is "No caches with an agenda"

The rule for TB's on knives. It's blank. Zero. Nada.

The rule for TB's on agendas. Zero. Nada. Zip. Blank.

The rule for Airports.

No knives in planes. Knives on the open side of security are fine. They used to allow pocket knives. Now they don't. Since they are a common carry item if you like your knife they will let you mail it to yourself if you slip up and forgot you were carrying one.

Is it a blatant disregard of the rules? Beats me. Is it a problem? Knives never actually were a problem. The problem was a perceptoin problem. Should the TB be stolen and thrown away? Stealing is another problme and another rule. A more important one actually.

Your solution. Take it to an event and give it to another cacher (Yeah, I know an event is a cache, but the attendee's are free to carry a knife...) or just give it to another cache and let them cope wiht the problem.

Edited by Renegade Knight

STOP!

This person has a mindset that can not be turned.

This same person was also taught about the use of a BIC pen with the pen removed and of course a pencil. Did I forget a Paperclip?

They will soon request those be blocked from being in a Cache. They are who they are.

If they really felt what they say, then why would they remove it and just leave for someone else.

Just stop feeding this person and move on, just remember who they are.

What is a Blood Circle? What is a Totin' Chip?

It seems that when someone is used to a system of strictly black and white terms, it is hard for them to wrap their minds around the shades of grey. Unfortunately civilian life is very much shades of grey.

The rules that you are referring to are actually guidelines. There is a bit of a difference. As well if you look at the guidelines under Cache Contents, the very first line says, "Use your common sense in most cases." Looking at the pocket knife in question, I tend to agree with what the majority of the posters here have said.

But if it really upsets you that much, try getting in touch with the TB owner again and find a way to get it back to him.

Or if you don't hear from the owner, I'm sure anyone on this thread would gladly take it off your hands for you.

As Paul Harvey would say.... "And now, the REST of the story"

I noticed that the OP has a new cache that was archived due to a rules violation. Specifically, cache was hidden in a cemetery without permission. I also find it ironic that the cache page is a rant about too many rules.

Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle meet Pot.

Heres the cache in question

Wow, that cemetary doesn't seem to recall it's purpose or respect that purpose.

I am not letting it go, that is just irresponsible. It is clear though that I can't receive any reasonable answer so I will do what I think is best. I will send the tag off alone with a note explaining what happened and if the owner is ever contacted I can then mail him the knife.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. You can continue your discussion if you want, my mind is made.

Just wanted to let you know, that what you are planning to do is stealing. The TB including the knife belongs to the owner.

I bet there is a law in the US that say something like "Do not steal", wouldn´t you agree, that a federal or state law is a rule above the rules of Groundspeak?

Just like you said rules are rules, and you shouldn´t break the rules!

Just send the whole TB back!

Edited by Tschakko

I am not letting it go, that is just irresponsible[/size]. It is clear though that I can't receive any reasonable answer so I will do what I think is best. I will send the tag off alone with a note explaining what happened and if the owner is ever contacted I can then mail him the knife.

Please send me the entire travel bug.

Send it to:

Eartha

c/o Groundspeak

PMB 321

24 Roy Street

Seattle, WA 98109

I learned of my TB issue yesterday, when the current TB holder logged it as "Retrieved It." I was not contacted in any other manner. I did not and do not think this pinky sized souvenir pocket KNIFE would cause anyone any harm. It has a toothpick, tweezers, scissors, nail file and yes, one blade. It's smaller than the T.B. tag. Ironically, the knife was a gift in Switzerland and traveled safely back to the U.S. Of course, in my luggage. :huh:

Why did I not contact the current holder? I felt it a no win situation. I can't argue that it does not violate the guidelines. I did not intend to violate any guidelines.

The current holder can do as they wish. Many people have enjoyed this and it has passed many miles in a short time. It's cool, but just a material thing.

I do not cache to argue and stress out....I cache to enjoy and provide enjoyment to others.

I will not respond, because I can't win. The current holder will do what they they think is right anyway, which is fine. That decision is made everytime any TB is picked up by all of us cachers.

BTW - I was not aware of this forum feature....something new for me and yet another neat aspect to geo-caching. Have fun, all!

Maybe late in responding, but I was first made aware of the issue when I received the "Retrieved It" notice yesterday. I did not intend to break any guidelines and felt the title and tiny souvenir knife was pretty cool. Indeed, it seemed well received by the caching community and I was proud of it.

The current holder can do as they think is right. I cannot put an argument together suggesting it is not a knife. However, no harm was ever intended.

I cache for my fun, as well as provide others fun with my hides and TB's.

The holder will have to do as they think is right.

BTW, this is the first time I have used or even heard of this forum; yet another aspect of geo-caching. Very cool.

Maybe late in responding, but I was first made aware of the issue when I received the "Retrieved It" notice yesterday. I did not intend to break any guidelines and felt the title and tiny souvenir knife was pretty cool. Indeed, it seemed well received by the caching community and I was proud of it.

The current holder can do as they think is right. I cannot put an argument together suggesting it is not a knife. However, no harm was ever intended.

I cache for my fun, as well as provide others fun with my hides and TB's.

The holder will have to do as they think is right.

BTW, this is the first time I have used or even heard of this forum; yet another aspect of geo-caching. Very cool.

Most excellent post.

You are awarded 15 Caching Karma points.