What is the largest image that can be used for a cache background?

TrailGators

Do the background images follow the same rules as uploaded images to your cache logs:

"If your original image is under 125k or 600 pixels wide, the largest image will not be resized."

...or can you upload a larger image for a cache page background image? If so, how large can it be?

Well, you could upload the picture somewhere else, like flickr, then put that url in. I'm not sure if that answers your question.
Doesn't the site limit the size so the cache page loads faster?

I'm not sure if images are resized automatically anymore. I had an event and uploaded a background that was big pixel-wise (20x2400) but small size-wise (about 10K), and it uploaded fine.

That said, for gallery pix, I keep them 600x450 and around 120K or less, but I've seen pictures from others that are big, like 1500 pixels wide or more, making me think that images don't get resized anymore.

Do the background images follow the same rules as uploaded images to your cache logs:

"If your original image is under 125k or 600 pixels wide, the largest image will not be resized."

...or can you upload a larger image for a cache page background image? If so, how large can it be?

Answer here -

Full-size background images.

The actual question is: How big does a background image have to be before it really starts to p*** off people on dial-up connections.

If you're asking about it, it's probably already too big.

The actual question is: How big does a background image have to be before it really starts to p*** off people on dial-up connections.

If you're asking about it, it's probably already too big.

Actually, we did some experimenting and if someone has a slow connection it won't screw up the page loading at all. You'll get a normal cache page with green background until the background does finally load. For all practical purposes you don't need an image larger than 1280x1024, because most people don't have super hi-res dsiplays anyhow.

Answer here -

Full-size background images.

Just in case you're curious, if a person has a 28.8 dialup connection, it takes more than 20 minutes to load a picture that large . . . ;)

Cool picture, however. :) Now I wonder who would place a cache in that location? :unsure:

What's the point of a background image, since the rest of the cache page covers up 95% of it anyway?
They are really only useful for puzzles. The question came up in our local forums and nobody knew the answer, so I posted it here. It was more of a curiosity thing for me.