Don’t loose hope on your lost Travel Bug!

Tally Dragon

After four years of being lost in California my travel bug shows up in Canada. “Clifford the Little Red Dog” is the only bug I’ve ever owned and I was really disappointed when he went missing. After a year of not hearing from Clifford I decided to launch another Clifford using the copy tag. This one lasted about three months before he too went missing.

I don’t know now if using the copy tag is such a good idea, because now if the copy Clifford shows up too, it’s going to get real confusing on the log page. I’m not sure how to straighten this out.

Here are some things I’ve learned about how travel bugs get lost or stuck:

They get found by a newbie who looses interest in the sport (this is what happened to the copy of Clifford). Or by the casual geocacher who decides to take a year or two off (this is one of the things that happened to the original Clifford). They are given to their children as toys. The cache they are in gets muggled. They get put in a difficult puzzle or multi cache or one that’s real remote or hard to get to. They get found by a geocacher who likes to collect travel bugs and hold them hostage (really).

So if your Travel Bug gets stuck somewhere, lost, or kidnapped try not to get too bummed out about it. He may show up one day like my Clifford, and if not, you can always start another one, or watch someone else’s bug that you’ve found.

I don’t know now if using the copy tag is such a good idea, because now if the copy Clifford shows up too, it’s going to get real confusing on the log page. I’m not sure how to straighten this out.

You just have one of them pulled. Ask the current holder to mail it (or just the tag) back to you. You pay the postage of course. :anibad:

Travel bugs are 90% patience. Even when they aren’t lost, they don’t write home that often,

Release a bunch of bugs and forget about them.

Even if any or all of the above happens, there is always hope!

I recently picked up TBHZ8P, which turned up at a yard sale a little over 1 year after going missing.

A thoughtful geocacher purchased him and put him back into circulation!

How cool is that!

Even if any or all of the above happens, there is always hope!

I recently picked up TBHZ8P, which turned up at a yard sale a little over 1 year after going missing.

A thoughtful geocacher purchased him and put him back into circulation!

How cool is that!

Getting picked up at a yard sale is way cool.

Getting dropped off in a yard sale wasn't. Bummer about that, I'm glad for you that it was a geocacher who happened to be yard sale-ing that day! Congrats!

I hope that's a joke, Markenstein.

My TB The Penguin Posse was dropped into a cache in Florida which got muggled. I hope that one day it will turn up. Maybe at a garage sale, maybe a visitor to the cache location will find it lying on the ground and read the TB tag, or maybe the muggle who stole it will be honorable enough to contact me. Does anyone have any more stories about TBs re-appearing?