Colorado-300-problem false position 183 Meter! (shown 10m accuracy)

it is not my first time that the colorado shows a false position

01.06.2008_15:24:47_error-colorado-300-99.jpg

after rebooting the unit it works fine again

BUT you have to know if the unit works fine or has problems

for reading this pic you have to go from right to left

01.06.2008_15:22:42_error-colorado-300-3.jpg

Garmin is known for very good GPS-systems, but the colorado is going to destroy this image :)

after 6 months there is still no firmware for this bug on the market

This sounds like a problem which some other Colorado owners have enountered. The problem happens only occasionally. It seems to happen more often in challenging conditions. When it does happen, the EPE is higher than normal but not high enough to account for the size of the location error. Once the problem happens, it persists until you power-cycle the unit. It does appear to be specific to certain units since many owners have never seen it.

There is speculation that it also applies to the HCx with 2.60 chipset firmware. This unit shares a chipset and firmware with the Colorado.

The fact that HCx owners did not notice the problem until after the upgrade to 2.60 lends credence to the idea that it might be a firmware problem. On the other hand, the fact that it only occurs on some units might point to a hardware problem. g-o-cashers was planning to return his Colorado because of this problem. Have not seen a post indicating the result.

Still haven't returned it because I'm waiting on a 60csx to show up. I'm also hoping we might see an update on the CO soon.

The results here look exactly like what I've seen, the smoking gun is the fact that power cycling will "fix" the issue immediately.

Please call Garmin and report the problem!

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

I am sure many people will not find this bug, because it is not very easy to see. Normally you will not see this bug because it is occasionally.

I am also sure that this is not a problem of some units - so i will not return it. - It will be a general problem.

You might check it by loading the tracks to mapsource and then your track always has to be on the street/road/track. But also this methode does not work always - best way is to check it in the nature.

Under bad conditions (tree cover - NOT heavy tree cover) the unit has sometimes big problems. You cannot reprodruce this bug.

what is the best adress to report this bugs to garmin, to get a serious answer?

I have send bugs alreday multipe time to garmin and always hate their answers. - seems to be a machine:

We appreciate your comments & opinions regarding our products. I have

forwarded your email to the design team as they are always interested on

customer feedback. Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as

yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future

GARMIN products or current unit software releases. We cannot guarantee

that what you have suggested will occur, however we do appreciate you

passing along your opinions.

I am not a beta-tester working for garmin - i want to use the colorado as it is advertised. :):):D

Does anyone know if some guys of the garmin-support-team are also reading in this forum - therefore it would not be necessary to email garmin one more time.

Edited by freeday

I find calling them works the best. Just make sure during the call you get a name, email, phone, etc so that you can follow up later.

GO$Rs

That will be the best practice - but

1) calling from austria is to expensive for me

2) the austrian-garmin support is not responsible for bugs - they told me to call my local dealer - the local dealer ... :)

i would need an internet-phone - (but only for the garmin bugs - it is not necessary)

I am sure many people will not find this bug, because it is not very easy to see. Normally you will not see this bug because it is occasionally.

If you read my signature, you will see that I run a mapping project. I very carefully review all of my track data. It does not happen on my Colorado 300, thus it does not happen on ALL units.

I HAVE seen this happen on my iQue 3600. It started happening around 6 months ago and only happens with WAAS enabled, when there is moderately bad reception and a WAAS lock is active. There appears to be some miscalculation of the WAAS data.

If you read my signature, you will see that I run a mapping project. I very carefully review all of my track data. It does not happen on my Colorado 300, thus it does not happen on ALL units.

I HAVE seen this happen on my iQue 3600. It started happening around 6 months ago and only happens with WAAS enabled, when there is moderately bad reception and a WAAS lock is active. There appears to be some miscalculation of the WAAS data.

If it is an infrequent occurrence, it does not mean that it is not possible that it can happen on your Colorado, just that you have not yet experienced it. I think this is one of the perplexing questions, is this a hardware revision problem, or a firmware revision problem?

I can confirm this bug:

Two days ago, I was standing on a known position (Waypoint) with good satelitte reception and the device was already on for 30 Min. The Colorado 300 (FW 2.51, GPS-SW: 2.6) has shown > 600 m distance to the waypoint! Restarting the device, correct distance shown: 4..6 m

Edited by bonstetten

I can confirm this bug:

Two days ago, I was standing on a known position (Waypoint) with good satelitte reception and the device was already on for 30 Min. The Colorado 300 (FW 2.51, GPS-SW: 2.6) has shown > 600 m distance to the waypoint! Restarting the device, correct distance shown: 4..6 m

Please, please, please call Garmin tech support and report the problem. I think Garmin is still in need of convincing. The more people who report the problem, the more likely it is to get recognized and fixed.

When you call Garmin to report a problem or issue, as someone mentioned - get a name and number and also make sure they write down the problem/issue under your name and unit. I recently spoke to 2 Garmin persons when trying to report this same problem. I got cut off from the first person and got another person when I called back. Both told me they had never heard the problem reported before although I had read at least 5 or so people had reported it to Garmin in this forum. The second person wrote it down and I asked him whether this problem/issue would be written down under my name and unit , he said it would be. So my suggestion is that make sure they write the problem/issue down for other Garmin techs to see. Sli23sli

I can confirm this bug:

Please, please, please call Garmin tech support and report the problem. I think Garmin is still in need of convincing. The more people who report the problem, the more likely it is to get recognized and fixed.

When you call Garmin to report a problem or issue, as someone mentioned - get a name and number and also make sure they write down the problem/issue under your name and unit. I recently spoke to 2 Garmin persons when trying to report this same problem. I got cut off from the first person and got another person when I called back. Both told me they had never heard the problem reported before although I had read at least 5 or so people had reported it to Garmin in this forum. I asked the second person whether this problem/issue would be written down under my name and unit, he said it would be. So my suggestion is that make sure they write the problem/issue down for other Garmin techs to see. Sli23sli

I can confirm this bug: