Pointless Micro Caches

Someone recently quoted in another thread "I have come to dislike the caches with one line listings like "Micro cache with log - bring your own pen". Why would I visit the spot other than to bump up my numbers, is there nothing of interest in the vacinity. A few of these have led to totally naff locations where the only reason to put a cache there was a tree/wall with a hole in it."

We have all seen them. Personally, I don't understand it, especially if there is a much better spot to be found nearby. So the reason for this post is to try and find out the way people think who set caches like this. Don't be embarrassed! Come forward and give us a rational explanation please! Maybe then, we will be able to appreciate this type of cache a bit better! <_<

Someone recently quoted in another thread "I have come to dislike the caches with one line listings like "Micro cache with log - bring your own pen". Why would I visit the spot other than to bump up my numbers, is there nothing of interest in the vacinity. A few of these have led to totally naff locations where the only reason to put a cache there was a tree/wall with a hole in it."

We have all seen them. Personally, I don't understand it, especially if there is a much better spot to be found nearby. So the reason for this post is to try and find out the way people think who set caches like this. Don't be embarrassed! Come forward and give us a rational explanation please! Maybe then, we will be able to appreciate this type of cache a bit better! B)

I think that it is down to feedback and experience

All of my caches have to fulfil the crietria: "would I like to do them?"

Works for me <_<

So the reason for this post is to try and find out the way people think who set caches like this.

As stated by GC.com: "Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches."

If the cache site is interesting so much the better, but it doesn't have to be. The "entertainment" is supposed to be the use of the gps.

So the reason for this post is to try and find out the way people think who set caches like this.

As stated by GC.com: "Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches."

If the cache site is interesting so much the better, but it doesn't have to be. The "entertainment" is supposed to be the use of the gps.

Where is the adventure in a cache stuffed in a supermarket carpark?

I take the OP's point, but to answer PKLong there is one in a supermarket near me and I haven't been able to get it yet, despite a couple of attempts, because of muggle traffic. I havent made a special trip there, just had a go whilst I have been passing. That's a bit of an adventure isn't it? I will be chuffed to bits when I eventually grab it. After a few enquiries I know exactly where it is, and what it looks like, so next time I will return victorious ... hopefully B) I like macroderma's idea ... would I like to find it - seems a good test. <_<

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

Well I only just started placing my first caches right and I have placed two micros - One near a place I thought was nice and on the way to another cache and in what i thought for was a cute place and the other on the way to another place/cache as a type of cache and dash just for fun.

Whilst the micro/nano hidden in a 'nowhere' location can be annoying, the principle of a cache location being a nice place to visit applies to all caches. Last year before moving out here, we visited a cache in Nottinghamshire which is placed on a bit of a hill overlooking the Trent. There are lots of 'nice' places around there to place a cache, but the actual coordinates are for a fly-tipping spot in the trees where the views can't be seen. The debris was quite disgusting, including stuff that was definitely a 'Bio' Hazard.

I made a log about it being a good place for a CITO and got a fairly abusive email reply from the owner. The point is that of the 10 Finds since only one Cacher (very newbie) has made mention of the rubbish, 'Bit of a tip but nice views.' The rest are full of the standard platitudes.

If we as a community are not prepared to be honest about bad caches when we log them, we only have ourselves to blame when the standard drops and the world fills up with geo-trash. <_<

Someone recently quoted in another thread "I have come to dislike the caches with one line listings like "Micro cache with log - bring your own pen".

As this isn't your kind of fun, don't do the cache.

Why would I visit the spot other than to bump up my numbers,

The worthyness of the spot and the worthyness of the cache may have nothing in common.

A few of these have led to totally naff locations where the only reason to put a cache there was a tree/wall with a hole in it."

It's clear you know the kinds of spots you don't like.

I don't understand it, especially if there is a much better spot to be found nearby.

Perhaps you should put a cache in the spot that you like.

So the reason for this post is to try and find out the way people think who set caches like this. Don't be embarrassed! Come forward and give us a rational explanation please! Maybe then, we will be able to appreciate this type of cache a bit better! <_<

People place caches in places they know. Most of the world we live, work and play in is rather drab. Is the problem the caches in that drab word? Or that we tolerate the drab world to begin with, but only realy notice it if a cache is there?

...the principle of a cache location being a nice place to visit applies to all caches....

Not at all. The larger principal is to do what you can with what you have to work with. That may mean a brilliant technical hide in an ugly location. At some point all the nice spots are taken and if you want to own a cache at all you will only have slag to work with. It's not like the cacher created the slag. They actually created a spot of enjoyment in a dull and lifeless place.

...the principle of a cache location being a nice place to visit applies to all caches....

Not at all. The larger principal is to do what you can with what you have to work with. That may mean a brilliant technical hide in an ugly location. At some point all the nice spots are taken and if you want to own a cache at all you will only have slag to work with. It's not like the cacher created the slag. They actually created a spot of enjoyment in a dull and lifeless place.

As frequently occurs when people choose to selectively quote, you have missed the overall point.

Some Cachers are oblivious to general area around where they place a cache. Whether it be the person who places a micro behind the smelly filthy dumpster, rather than place it in the more pleasant location a few feet away, or, as in the case I described, the cacher who places a tupperware amongst the trash on the ground. Even if it had been a pleasant area which then went down hill, I believe that a responsible owner should archive or relocate their cache. In the case I quoted it would have only needed moving about 50 Ft and it would have been away from the dumping area.

The earlier point about only doing the caches that read as though you would like them, is also flawed. It is impossible to tell from a majority of descriptions what the end find will be like, unless you happen to be doing a cache in open countryside; and even then you risk going to the one spot for miles around that has been used for fly-tipping. Thus my point comes full circle; we as cachers should be honest in our logs, because that is where the truth should be found.

Micros have their place. Around where we live there is a lot of landscaped storm drainage, essentially culverts that run through the housing and they have been landscaped into exercise/walking pathways. There are several micros around these walks, ranging from that little black magnetic nano affixed to a metal object like a sit-up bench, through to well camo'd items hung up in trees (I've yet to find a sprinkler in the grass).

Locally we have a series where they are all hidden in the parking lots of every branch of a well known DIY chain. These may be LPCs, but can be challenging with the muggle activity (LPC skirts can make a lot of noise when lifted). So with a little thought, there is no need for the 'rubbish micro'. <_<

*LPC = Lamp Post Cache. Unlike UK lamp posts which are sunk into the ground, American lamp posts are frequently bolted down to a fixing plate and have a metal or plastic 'skirt' at the bottom, concealing the mountings. Thus the skirts can often be lifted to place a Micro cache under.

Edited by careygang

As frequently occurs when people choose to selectively quote, you have missed the overall point.

Some Cachers are oblivious to general area around where they place a cache. Whether it be the person who places a micro behind the smelly filthy dumpster, rather than place it in the more pleasant location a few feet away...

The earlier point about only doing the caches that read as though you would like them, is also flawed. It is impossible to tell from a majority of descriptions what the end find will be like, unless you happen to be doing a cache in open countryside; and even then you risk going to the one spot for miles around that has been used for fly-tipping. Thus my point comes full circle; we as cachers should be honest in our logs, because that is where the truth should be found.

What you call flaws are merely reality. You make a fair point of using the nicer spot near the dumpster instead of the dumpster. As for the flaw in trying to do caches you would enjoy...that flaw exists regardless of micros or dumpsters. What people specificly don't enjoy varies and each of us will not be able to perfectly filter to our personal tastes. We will all waste some time. Ban micros behind dumpsters and someone short will still hate the tall persons caches and so on.

Since I know my area, and can read maps I have a generally good idea of a cache from the maps, size, logs, and descriptions. Being honest in logging isn't a problem either. It does help suppliment the maps and other info.

MICRO'S!!!

Think the rules should be changed to say " a micro can only be placed within 10m (30ft) of a road"

Most "power trails" seem to be micros when it would be very simple to put out a good series of caches, have a look at "Chicksands Challange" series, whoops sorry John!!!

Think most micros are placed purely due to the cost of placing a load of SMALL/REGULAR caches.

Have placed a couple of micro's myself, but only because no possible location for anything bigger.

Well I'll wait for the abuse to roll in!!! :grin::grin:

Cheers

Nick

Some Cachers are oblivious to general area around where they place a cache. Whether it be the person who places a micro behind the smelly filthy dumpster, rather than place it in the more pleasant location a few feet away...

What you call flaws are merely reality. You make a fair point of using the nicer spot near the dumpster instead of the dumpster. As for the flaw in trying to do caches you would enjoy...that flaw exists regardless of micros or dumpsters. What people specificly don't enjoy varies and each of us will not be able to perfectly filter to our personal tastes. We will all waste some time. Ban micros behind dumpsters and someone short will still hate the tall persons caches and so on.

Since I know my area, and can read maps I have a generally good idea of a cache from the maps, size, logs, and descriptions. Being honest in logging isn't a problem either. It does help suppliment the maps and other info.

Seems like we're agreeing on most of this. However, I do find that honesty is a problem for most people when logging, and that they frequently don't understand how the site works. I've seen a few recently where logs have recommended maintenance or even archiving, but they don't use the correct log selection, therefore Reviewers don't get to see the comment.

Or is it that they don't want to commit to actually reporting the cache properly??? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the comments folks which are very interesting, however as expected, it seems that only one person has put forward an argument in their defence which is "would I like to do them?" which I accept is quite a valid point.

I have enjoyed finding the odd micro, but I must admit they don't usually do it for me, but I don't put negative comments about them in the logs any more as it just seems to cause bad feeling. I will keep on looking for them though. I just hope that new cachers don't place boring ones because it's so easy to.

My original quote used to start this discussion was not a dig against micros as such but a moan about one line listings, as others have said I have too done a few excellent micros.

However there is a lot of anti-micro cachers out there and there have been a few than have annoyed me... such as a nice multi stage cache that ends with a micro in a wood. There can be a perfectly good hiding place 20 feet away that would support a larger container.

I will do all caches in my area as it removes them from my nearest cache list. Although on the odd occasion that has been the only reason to do them.

I dont like writing negative comments about caches as something I dislike may be someones like. I have made the odd suggestion from time to time when I think its appropriate.

I believe that micros have a place in caching but mainly in urban areas not the countryside. The size of cache should be appropriate to the supporting area. Most countryside locations can support a reasonable sized cache.

Some owners claim to prefer micros as they are easy to maintain - if lost its no great loss. Yes - its a game and everyone plays it their own way.

I've seen three.

The first was behind a Recycle skip along with a pile of rubbish and a kitchen sink. On Ignore List

The second was also behind a Recycle Skip. OIL

The third was on the front of a GPO box near bushes. Found.

I have enjoyed finding the odd micro, but I must admit they don't usually do it for me, but I don't put negative comments about them in the logs any more as it just seems to cause bad feeling.

Other things being equal, I prefer a larger cache to a micro. But while there are valid reasons for posting a negative comment about a cache, simply complaining about it being a micro, when it was already known that it was a micro, is surely not one of them? If someone dislikes micros that much they should just not go there in the first place. If they choose to visit a micro they have implicitly accepted that they would rather do a micro than nothing at all.

Micros have in their favour the scope for more imaginative hides. I have to admit, despite saying that I prefer something larger than a micro, 11 of my 21 hides are micros. But several of them are quite unusual, camouflaged in full view in ways that you can't easily do with a larger container. The others are more conventional hides because I wanted to use the location.

So, normally I "think big" before I set a micro, but I don't see I've any cause to complain if someone else chooses to set one.

Rgds, Andy

I have enjoyed finding the odd micro, but I must admit they don't usually do it for me, but I don't put negative comments about them in the logs any more as it just seems to cause bad feeling.

Other things being equal, I prefer a larger cache to a micro. But while there are valid reasons for posting a negative comment about a cache, simply complaining about it being a micro, when it was already known that it was a micro, is surely not one of them? If someone dislikes micros that much they should just not go there in the first place. If they choose to visit a micro they have implicitly accepted that they would rather do a micro than nothing at all.

Micros have in their favour the scope for more imaginative hides. I have to admit, despite saying that I prefer something larger than a micro, 11 of my 21 hides are micros. But several of them are quite unusual, camouflaged in full view in ways that you can't easily do with a larger container. The others are more conventional hides because I wanted to use the location.

So, normally I "think big" before I set a micro, but I don't see I've any cause to complain if someone else chooses to set one.

Rgds, Andy

Personally, I do like to hunt micros.. Not because I am a cheapskate, but I find them challenging.. One downside is that I cannot drop TB's and GC's in them. The kids hate it when I make them traipse for miles only to find a film pot, but they absolutely love ransacking the regular caches looking for treasure, so much so, that I have to tell them to "empty your pockets, and put it all back NOW!!"..!!!!!

Re the comments about rubbish and general filth around a lot of micros, I agree that the locations can sometimes be a "tad unhygenic", but finding a pristine urban location can prove tricky, especially if there is a load of passing muggle traffic. I have recently disabled a magnetic nano because if comments regarding the general state of the location. It was fine when the cach was placed, but occasionally people will dump stuff after the listing goes live.

P.

Some Cachers are oblivious to general area around where they place a cache. Whether it be the person who places a micro behind the smelly filthy dumpster, rather than place it in the more pleasant location a few feet away, or, as in the case I described, the cacher who places a tupperware amongst the trash on the ground. Even if it had been a pleasant area which then went down hill, I believe that a responsible owner should archive or relocate their cache. In the case I quoted it would have only needed moving about 50 Ft and it would have been away from the dumping area.

There is no ready definition of a responsible cacher owner as it relates to cache location or innovation. These are all very subjective to a certain point. Most caches you find are some form of an imitation of some other cache the hider has previously found. The answer you seek is found by raising the bar of the hides in your area and there is no easy or quick solution to that. While there are ways to influence the collective level of effort and forethought put into cache hides in your area, it is a slow process. Here are some suggestions of things that have worked in my area.

1. Start an annual tradition of "Best of <fill in your area> Caches"...see my sig line. Not only will this reward some of the better efforts in your area but it will ensure that they are found more often. After a while it will become prestigious to have a cache on this bookmarked list.

2. Have an ongoing conversation among locals on your local forum and at events about the great caches in your area. Keep this positive and focus on the good examples. If you don't have a forum, start one. If this is it, then you are in the right place.

3. Help new cachers through education. If you hear something like "I was considering my first hide" try to offer constructive ideas without interfering with the creative flow. What has been exciting to see is the quality of some hiders caches increase over time.

4. Do team collaborative hides with other like minded cachers. Not only does this build community but some great caches are born out of it. If you are inclusive in these efforts, everyone will benefit and learn.

5. As you have already stated, encourage honest but constructive online logs. People respond to positive feedback.

Lastly, starting a "I hate micros" thread in any forum or face to face conversation is one of the most least productive things you could do. I've never seen one produce anything but a very similar argument.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Thanks for all the comments folks which are very interesting, however as expected, it seems that only one person has put forward an argument in their defence which is "would I like to do them?" which I accept is quite a valid point.

I have enjoyed finding the odd micro, but I must admit they don't usually do it for me, but I don't put negative comments about them in the logs any more as it just seems to cause bad feeling. I will keep on looking for them though. I just hope that new cachers don't place boring ones because it's so easy to.

Here you go.

I hate micro's. I have found that most could be replaced with a larger container and the hide would still be viable. However after a day of caching and DNF's I like to end on an easy cache at the parking lot of a store that has a nice frosty cold one waiting for me when I'm done. Most times I pass them by..but some times those caches hit the spot. Also most times it's just ugly in any direction so one spot is as good as another.

theres a micro near us six mile walk in beautiful moors plenty of places for a proper cache.micro WHY? on ignore list.

Because a six mile walk on beautiful moors is reward enough in itself. Anyone who can moan because the cache on a walk like that isn't big enough has no soul IMHO :rolleyes:

Here you go.

I hate micro's. I have found that most could be replaced with a larger container and the hide would still be viable. However after a day of caching and DNF's I like to end on an easy cache at the parking lot of a store that has a nice frosty cold one waiting for me when I'm done. Most times I pass them by..but some times those caches hit the spot. Also most times it's just ugly in any direction so one spot is as good as another.

Here, here. In the interest of promoting caches that I like to find...I would like to propose an attribute with a frosty beer mug that tells the seeker that there is beer nearby.

We have all seen them. Personally, I don't understand it, especially if there is a much better spot to be found nearby. So the reason for this post is to try and find out the way people think who set caches like this. Don't be embarrassed! Come forward and give us a rational explanation please! Maybe then, we will be able to appreciate this type of cache a bit better! :rolleyes:

If enough people don't like them and enough people don't do them, then I guess people will quit putting them out. Kind of like supply and demand.

If enough people don't like them and enough people don't do them, then I guess people will quit putting them out. Kind of like supply and demand.

I don't think it is realistic to expect this to happen. There will always be cachers that feel compelled to find every cache in an area, that are concerned with more with numbers than quality, and a smaller (but very real) contingent that really like these type of caches for various reasons. They'll no doubt be visiting shortly....

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Here, here. In the interest of promoting caches that I like to find...I would like to propose an attribute with a frosty beer mug that tells the seeker that there is beer nearby.

OMG!!!! Forget the micro lovers coming in here and getting upset, the real ale cachers will be along to beat you to death with a hop bush! ;):):)

Frosty beer mug indeed! :laughing:

We Have just done a few caches as we have a new young dog and our reason for caching is so that we get to take the dog to different places.

We have recently found a great micro out in the wilds. A great traditional cache and a lot of average Tupperware containers under stones twigs and bricks, and one good virtual, which are much better than town micros anyway.

We have placed 4 micros which we hope are different to what is around here.

I hope that when people find them they go out and place at least one similar as I would like to find one like the ones we have placed.

I don't think we have to be too fiendish but be it micro or traditional we should try to think of a bit of diversity to make life interesting.

The important thing is the dog gets 20 to 30 miles a week in if we find 5 caches or one it does not matter too much., she does not care.

OMG!!!! Forget the micro lovers coming in here and getting upset, the real ale cachers will be along to beat you to death with a hop bush! ;):):)

How about a frothy beer mug.

beer_01.gif

OMG!!!! Forget the micro lovers coming in here and getting upset, the real ale cachers will be along to beat you to death with a hop bush! :);):)

I have a few hop bush wounds that have never healed, forgive me.

Snap, and we have started replacing our Micros with bigger caches where possible.

Don't! I tend to cache alone quite often so I prefer to have a good proportion of micros to seek. I like the challenge and the walk (sometimes) rather than the rusty/grubby trinkets.

thats what i was thinking!! In the begining wich isnt long ago cause im still a newbie :) I hated micros cause the ones I tried for at first i COULDNT find! now ive been able to find those ones and its great. A well hidden micro can be a really rewarding achievment once found. Not ALL micros are horrible :<

Dont like micros that seem pointless then just dont hunt for them. Beleive it or not other people in the game like to hunt for anything and dont mind if there is nothing spectacular to see there. I cache for the thrill of the hunt and to get a bit of exercise, not to see a magical location at every single cache.

This "if you dont like em dont seek em " argument is lame, without knowing the intentions of the setter (numbers booster, stunning view, nice walk, novel container etc) you can never know if their is something worth seeking for yourself and your personal preferences.

We like some micros (river rubbings could not be a large cache and is an excellent find after a 13 mile walk) and many are in interesting containers which again makes them interesting but until we get to GZ we dont know if they will be of the like or dislike variety.

The site (GC) needs to provide the means and tools to identify caches that dont fit your particular likes and dislikes until that facility arrives moans will continue.

The site (GC) needs to provide the means and tools to identify caches that dont fit your particular likes and dislikes until that facility arrives moans will continue.

Although I may moan about the road or supermarket series of caches in encouraging the placing of caches that are hidden without thought, at least they have the advantage of making them easier to avoid if you are like me or to find if you like that sort of thing.

Perhaps there should be a new cache-type created to highlight caches that are hidden principally to be a quick find in an area of no particular interest? It would make life a lot easier in planning caching trips for both numbers-driven and quality-driven cachers.

Here we go again...

Ths is still and always will be a topical debate of real interest to everyone so 'here we go again' Well yes please let's discuss and less of the negative comments !!

I for one have mixed feelings about micros but am gradually moving in there favour.

I myself place a lot of 'extreme' 'physical' caches [and eir location means that nothing other than a 35mm film canister is really suitable as regular containers are too conspicuous for many of the locations.

The proponderance of junk filled tupperware boxes is a real problem to me and whilst I still apppreciate finding a box at the end of a search, a 35mm is sometimes just as exiting to find especially when it is hidden with some imagination.

When a cache has been out for some time the contents are of no interest to me [other than the log book and pen] although for kids this may well not be the case.

35mm containers and other micros are also far less likely to get ' muggled' and as such maintenance issues are also of importance.

Extreme caches bookmark listing for those interested

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...ae-e0f56c7c6c5c

"Pointless Micro Caches" is the thread title. I can think of many pointless regular ones. A micro doesn't automatically make it 'bad' :)

I agree, as a rule I avoid micro's as I don't particularly like em but I have found a few and 1 or 2 of those it was the location that made them special not the size of the cache. :(

OK, I'm a newbie and all, but may I say one thing?

Geocaching is big enough for all interests, and we have several varied interests here.

Some people here are numerologists. Any cache will do!

Some people here are aestheticians. Any cache, as long as it's a great view.

Some people are hideologists. The better the hide job, the better the hunt. (These people love fake tree stumps and hollowed-out pinecones!)

Some people are exercisicians. As long as you can't drive to within 1 mile of it, any cache will do.

Some people are kidchachists. Make it simple, please, she's 7 and easily frustrated by DNFs.

Some people are obviologists. They don't mind a hunt for the cache, but prefer it to look LIKE a cache once spotted.

And lastly, some people are ironmanologists. If an ordinary person can get there... WHO CARES?

Personally, I skip the caches I'm not interested in finding and leave them for others. When I am with my kids, I try to go for the larger caches in the more urban settings - since in FL we have lots of things in the woods that can get you and my kids like trading. When I'm by myself, I don't mind a few steps into the wooded areas, but I'm not going all Rambo looking for something 10 miles in with no trails. I also qualify as an obviologist - when you spot it, it should be obvious it's a cache. But you know what? If you enjoy making/finding caches that are damned near impossible to find, go for it! It's not my thing, but if it's yours, I'm all for it. Maybe I'll make and hide one for you. :)

So for me, this whole thread is "pointless". To each their own.

... as a rule I avoid micro's as I don't particularly like em but I have found a few and 1 or 2 of those it was the location that made them special not the size of the cache. :)

Yes, I agree. A year ago today I was crawling around in the dark in Devon doing the UnderWorld series - All micros, apart from the Final Bonus. Great locations = great caching experience :(

MrsB

OK, I'm a newbie and all, but may I say one thing?

Geocaching is big enough for all interests, and we have several varied interests here. <snip>......

To each their own.

I tend towards being an "aesthetician" but I agree with you in saying "To each their own". I've placed a few micro's in my time but I prefer "proper" caches. However everyone is different so a bit of self discipline, reading of cache pages, planning, and use of ignore lists should provide most people with enough to keep them entertained.