Battery Recommendations

boboso

Need to get some battery and charger recommendations... I have a Colorado 300 on the way (happy fathers day to me!) and plan on using it mainly for hiking, waypointing/mapping, geocaching...

I am thinking of getting 2700 rechargeable NiHM batteries and a charger for this unit. Powerex and Maha from Thomas Distributing have been recommended. As I am hiking I plan on carrying spare AA batteries as well as a backup and in the truck will have the power unit.

Thanks for any information!

The new "Hybrid" type batteries work very well. They are charged up when you buy them and they hold a charge longer when they are not being used. I bought four Rayovac NiMH batteries at Target for less than $9.00. A charger with two AAs and two AAAs was less than $10.00. Other people also recommend the Sanyo "Hybrid" batteries. Sometimes Costco has those on sale.

For my colorado 300 and 60Csx I carry a (2) 4 packs for each unit and 2 in the unit of the 2700Mah Powerex. I heard the hybrid batteries where good too. So far the Powerex has never failed me so no reason for me to change. As for powerex holding a charge, I do not cache in the winter time so my batteries sat for almost 7 months in their plastic case, I popped them in my 60CSx and went out caching for 5 hours and I still had a charge left in it. So I was pretty impressed with the hold time.