Great technical Article on WAAS

Klemmer

If you would really like to know about WAAS & how it works, and what it is really for, this recent article is very good.

If you want the whole thing, including the more technical aspects of the second portion, you will need to download the pdf (link at top of article). I would recommend downloading it if you have more than passing interest, as sometimes the articles may not all be available on-line after the current issue goes to the archives.

The first half or so is fairly non-technical (at least to me....), but the second half gets a bit deeper. Wear your life vests if needed. Give it a try.

Interestingly, I had recently tried (in my own way) to write a similar, though necessarily much less technical, article for "our own" on-line Caching Now magazine. It ended up as a two-part series:

Part 1

Part 2

If you bog down on the Inside GNSS article, try mine in Caching Now, and see if you get a little further. Some of the garbage that flies around about WAAS on the "GPS and Technology" section of these Groundspeak boards is so.... well, just wrong, I have given up trying to correct them. Maybe I'll post a link to here.

Comments / questions welcome. Be nice, though. I intend to send a link for this thread to the Inside GNSS article authors, for their edification.

BTW: If you have some decent industry credentials that can be verified (I guess....), you can get a glossy free hard copy subscription of Inside GNSS of your very own every couple months. Pretty heavy reading, but worth it if you are serious about the GPS system (and it's soon-to-be cousins) or are in the industry.

Klemmer

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama