Does anyone do geocaching without a GPS?

MindsEye31

I found my first cache today, did it without a GPS. I used the Satellite maps. Also looked for some others in the area but was unable to find them. Does any one do it without a GPS? I don't have the money to spend on one right now, but I will get one soon.

Thanks for any info!

I found my first cache today, did it without a GPS. I used the Satellite maps. Also looked for some others in the area but was unable to find them. Does any one do it without a GPS? I don't have the money to spend on one right now, but I will get one soon.

Thanks for any info!

i just started geocaching not too long ago and i don't have a gps. i ordered one last night and it arives next monday. but so far i have found 8 caches without a gps. i know that i wouldn't have so many no finds if i had the gps but it is possible to do.

Thanks for any info!

There was a bridge series in my area where all the caches' were located on local bridges, I did those without a GPS as the description told you what bridge it was on, Though if you want to avoid being frustrated often, you will most likely need to purchase a GPS

I found my first 11 geocaches without a GPS. Dump the coordinates into Google Maps, zoom in as much as it allows, and either print it out or remember it as best you can. Using landmarks such as the curve of a road or small outcroppings of trees helps you zero in on the cache.

I have found quite a few caches without my GPS but I wouldn't have found the vast majority of them without my GPS. There are those who do it on a "routine" basis but unless you are just a bit more insane than the typical Geocacher you will want to have a decent GPS available for your searches.

It obviously can be done, but it's a lot harder unless the cache is near some sort of feature that can be observed in the sat photo. Because of that urban and suburban caches are easier. A cache somewhere in the middle of the woods, not so.

There are people who make a habit of hunting sans GPS and some have over a thousand finds that way.

I have found several mystery caches without a GPS and several others with help from the GPS but without having the cache coordinates. It's a blast.

It's also a necessity since I'm pretty dense when it comes to solving puzzles.

I think I've found some traditionals without GPS also, but can't think of any off the top of my head. Those are easier and not as memorable.

These type of finds (often refered to as CSI finds in my area) are more common than you might think.

You can do it like stated above. We actually do it a lot. When you know the location and the clues line up, you can do it.

Now, there are going to be many caches that are just no gos if you try it without GPS because of the placement and so forth.

But if you make plenty of mental notes, you can do it somewhat without GPS.

I have a GPS, but I think it's led me astray sometimes. I've done all my caching close to home so far, so the Google satellite maps give me plenty of information. Sometimes (especially in wooded areas) the GSP is really far off. I've learned that I get lousy results when the batteries aren't fresh.

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches.

Technically, there is no such thing as geocaching without a GPS. You can find geocaches without one, but you aren't geocaching. You're finding. :ph34r:

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches.

Technically, there is no such thing as geocaching without a GPS. You can find geocaches without one, but you aren't geocaching. You're finding. :)

If you want to get really technical all geocaching is, is a electronic version of waystashing (just one name for the old game).

Even more technical, geocaching is just waystashing.

I use to play as a Webelos, that was about 25 years ago.

So I guess technically there is such a thing as geocaching without a GPS.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

When I first started geocaching I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this so I used google earth to find the positions and then go out and find the caches. No sense spending money if I wasn't going to like it. I have done 9 caches, including one in the woods (but not to deep) to find all of my caches. My grandkids and I are enjoying this so my new GPS will be here sometime next week. In the meantime, I will continue to look for caches. :):)