ownership of 2007 Groundspeak Lackey Geocoin

MissJenn

The 2007 Groundspeak Lackey Geocoin is a gift from Groundspeak to certain lucky geocachers.

As you may have noticed, they are already activated and owned by Signal The Frog. We asked Signal, and he said that he'd prefer to keep ownership of this set of coins. It is up to you, however, if you would like to send this coin travelling from geocache to geocache, or if you'd like to keep it in your personal collection.

It is not meant to be sold. So, all geocoins in this series will remain owned by Signal the Frog (that is, owned by Groundspeak, Inc.).

Current GOAL: To be discovered by geocachers and to gather stories about location-based adventures.

1551.gif

Thanks!

I felt tremendously priviledged to be gifted an 05 Lackey coin when I visited the LilyPad and again when I attended the Garmin/Groundspeak event to demo the new Colorado and Wherigo to be gifted with the 07 coin. I loathe the carpetbagger mentality that everything is saleable and for sale.

Here's pics of those great coins.... the black and grey one is the older coin that was originally activated by Signal but eventually adopted over upon request. The 07 version is activated and owned by Signal and would not be adopted over.

GroundSpeakLackeys.jpg

Edited by Droo

Oh! they look beautiful! does anyone know what the names are for? Are these the first geocachers, or they are actually the Groundspeak?

I like the different figures, I liked the one with the hurt foot, but I would love to see figures to represend the races, (I mean that geocaching is a game for all... or it shows that and I didn't see clearly?) and a figure of a human in wheelchair! (meanning that everyone can do it!). :D Probably the one with the hurt foot represents that, but.. :ph34r:

As I saw, these coins were only in events, right? And as I saw the receivers are premioum members! B)

Well....

The 2007 Groundspeak Lackey Geocoin is a gift from Groundspeak to certain lucky geocachers.

As you may have noticed, they are already activated and owned by Signal The Frog. We asked Signal, and he said that he'd prefer to keep ownership of this set of coins. It is up to you, however, if you would like to send this coin travelling from geocache to geocache, or if you'd like to keep it in your personal collection.

It is not meant to be sold. So, all geocoins in this series will remain owned by Signal the Frog (that is, owned by Groundspeak, Inc.).

Current GOAL: To be discovered by geocachers and to gather stories about location-based adventures.

1551.gif

Thanks!

Hello MissJenn! :D

I just realised that your avantar is on the coin!!! WOW! :ph34r:

Sorry for that, but... If the 2007 coin shows that the owner is Signal and Groundspeak and it is not for sale....why it is in Ebay in an auction right now?? B)

How does Signal feel about the trading of other geocoins for his Lackey coins, ie, not a direct sale for cash online, but more of a person-to-person swap of geocoins?

How can you trade what you don't own?

Or even better. How can you sell something on ebay that you don't own? :ph34r:

Well..this is.... of course, there is a possibility that the guy didn't know that the coins is not his coin and actually will never be!

On the other hand...selling something that it is not for sale, something that youy were one of the lucky guys who got this coin as a gift.... :ph34r:

How does Signal feel about the trading of other geocoins for his Lackey coins, ie, not a direct sale for cash online, but more of a person-to-person swap of geocoins?

How can you trade what you don't own?

Can't wait for the frog's official response...

I am not sure...but it happens, I even think some were offered in the trading thread.

If you are spelling it out to the person involved i.e. a coin for your personal collection or release, not to be sold or adopted then so be it. I know it is owned by GS/frog, if I wanted it bad enough, I would trade for it....I had someone offer me Lackey 07 for a 5 coin set...but I am lucky enough to have a lackey 07 in my collection.

It is gifted so I think you should be able do what you wish within the don't sale guidelines.... It will still be meeting its current goal as outlined in post #1 -----

Just in another's hands....

Just my geocoinsense but I might be completely wrong...

Thanks for posting this, MissJenn. Coming from someone who does not normally post in the Geocoin Forum, it re-kindles a common debate issue from a fresh perspective, and serves as a reminder of Groundspeak's intentions when they created and distributed these coins.

Geocaching is a game, and these coins are tokens of their appreciation for us playing it.

Not everybody is/was lucky enough to be given one of these, so it's really sad to see when one of the fortunate few cannot grasp this simple notion of kindness and disregards the good intentions behind the act.

It doesn't take long to find more examples of similar kindness happening on this very forum. People have taken it upon themselves to mint coins and give them away for no reason other than they enjoy seeing people's reactions. These coins can be costly, yet people still do it.

Yet, there's a select few in here who simply don't "get it", and will argue incessantly that such gifts aren't really gifts if you're told what you can and can't do with them.

I say that's absolute, selfish HOGWASH!!!

A gift is a hello and a handshake. It's a solemn expression of appreciation that says you're thought of in a positive light. If it's so easy for an individual to ignore the positive sentiments behind "gifting" to the point where they have no problem whatsoever turning around and selling such a gift...then they probably weren't a worthy recipient in the first place.

If you are lucky (or unlucky) enough to meet a Lackey, we occassionally carry one or two of these coins with us. Not always, but sometimes. And from time to time, we gift one away. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

:ph34r:

And yes, my current avatar is a version of the image on the coin. Aren't those pixel images fun? The 2007 Groundspeak Lackey Geocoin depicts the Groundspeak employees.

Trading the coin amongst geocachers seems OK to me; you can grab it so that it shows as being in your hands. Selling the coin is not what Groundspeak intended at all. And anyway, if someone is selling one, will they be mailing that money to the owner of the coin? We ran out of pencils here in the office and could use the money.

I like the different figures, I liked the one with the hurt foot, but I would love to see figures to represend the races, (I mean that geocaching is a game for all... or it shows that and I didn't see clearly?) and a figure of a human in wheelchair! (meanning that everyone can do it!). :D Probably the one with the hurt foot represents that, but.. :ph34r:

As I saw, these coins were only in events, right? And as I saw the receivers are premioum members! B)

Well....

After you meet a couple of Lackeys you will soon realize that the figures look just like them. That is why there are no figures in wheelchairs. I really like the new version of the coin. Might have to make a trip back to Groundspeak HQ to see if I can get one. Of course I also think that the Groundspeak Lackeys should be required to take a trip to the home of Garmin and set up an adventure exhibit.

Oh! they look beautiful! does anyone know what the names are for? Are these the first geocachers, or they are actually the Groundspeak?

Well....

The word "Lackey" refers to the people who work in the Groundspeak office. The rest of us are volunteers. Each person shown on the coin is an actual Groundspeak employee, that works on making this website tick and handling all the emails, and writing all the code, etc...

I cannot in good conscience go break their legs just to get a wheelchair on the next coin, so you'll have to like the coin the way it is. There are names under each image on the coin showing who each one is.

As Miss Jenn said, you have to be in the right place at the right time to get one.

:ph34r: Yes! I got it know! I realised that the figures are actually the Groundspeak team when I saw the Miss Jenn's avantar was actually the one on the coin! B) Oh! Who hurt his leg??

Well...I hope I will be one of the lucky ones, but Here in Greece....:D I haven't met an other geocacher yet! I am alone here in Rhodes! therei s no other geocacher living in an island in greece, and...my country has many islands!!! B)

Yemon Yime...I agree with you my friend! Unfortunatelly other do not see it in that way! B)

I like the different figures, I liked the one with the hurt foot, but I would love to see figures to represend the races, (I mean that geocaching is a game for all... or it shows that and I didn't see clearly?) and a figure of a human in wheelchair! (meanning that everyone can do it!). B) Probably the one with the hurt foot represents that, but.. B)

As I saw, these coins were only in events, right? And as I saw the receivers are premioum members! :D

Well....

The word "Lackey" refers to the people who work in the Groundspeak office. The rest of us are volunteers. Each person shown on the coin is an actual Groundspeak employee, that works on making this website tick and handling all the emails, and writing all the code, etc...

I cannot in good conscience go break their legs just to get a wheelchair on the next coin, so you'll have to like the coin the way it is. There are names under each image on the coin showing who each one is.

As Miss Jenn said, you have to be in the right place at the right time to get one.

Hello Eartha! B)

Oh no! B) when I saw the coin, I thought that it showed geocachers from all countries, races, etc! That is why I posted that! About the weelchair, I wrote it with the thought of the above! So, It will show that no matter what we are, who we are, what color we have etc, we can all go geocaching and have fun!

Later, I realised that the figures were actually the Groundspeak workers! B)

Oh no! I do not want anyone to get hurt!!! Sorry for the missunderstanding my friend! :ph34r:

Of course I like that coin! I love it!!! B)

"Oh! they look beautiful! does anyone know what the names are for? Are these the first geocachers, or they are actually the Groundspeak?"

Those my dear, ARE THE Lackeys :ph34r:

Fairyhoney!!! How are you my friend?

If you read the posts, you will see that I had almost the same question! The figures are actually of the people who work in Groundspeak, and the names are probably their names! :D

Isn't this coin so unigue and great??? B)

Thanks for posting this, MissJenn. Coming from someone who does not normally post in the Geocoin Forum, it re-kindles a common debate issue from a fresh perspective, and serves as a reminder of Groundspeak's intentions when they created and distributed these coins.

Geocaching is a game, and these coins are tokens of their appreciation for us playing it.

Not everybody is/was lucky enough to be given one of these, so it's really sad to see when one of the fortunate few cannot grasp this simple notion of kindness and disregards the good intentions behind the act.

It doesn't take long to find more examples of similar kindness happening on this very forum. People have taken it upon themselves to mint coins and give them away for no reason other than they enjoy seeing people's reactions. These coins can be costly, yet people still do it.

Yet, there's a select few in here who simply don't "get it", and will argue incessantly that such gifts aren't really gifts if you're told what you can and can't do with them.

A gift is a hello and a handshake. It's a solemn expression of appreciation that says you're thought of in a positive light. If it's so easy for an individual to ignore the positive sentiments behind "gifting" to the point where they have no problem whatsoever turning around and selling such a gift...then they probably weren't a worthy recipient in the first place.

I agree with the Yemony fresh one..well said!

....Yet, there's a select few in here who simply don't "get it", and will argue incessantly that such gifts aren't really gifts if you're told what you can and can't do with them.

I say that's absolute, selfish HOGWASH!!!...

I agree. If you can't give a gift so that it's the recipient can enjoy it as they best see fit and instead dictate the terms as if it were a loan, it really is kind of selfish. If it's a loan, call it a loan and be done with it. Don't confuse folks.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Thank you Yime for your post! I absolutely agree. I cherish my Lackey's. :ph34r:

....Yet, there's a select few in here who simply don't "get it", and will argue incessantly that such gifts aren't really gifts if you're told what you can and can't do with them.

I agree. If you can't give a gift so that it's the recipient can enjoy it as they best see fit and instead dictate the terms as if it were a loan, it really is kind of selfish. If it's a loan, call it a loan and be done with it. Don't confuse folks.

You can twist words and call it whatever you like, but all it takes is a little common sense to see this is an issue of courtesy, respect and simple appreciation.

If someone took the time to design, mint and distribute a geocoin as a gift...and all you can see are dollar signs when it falls into your mitts...then you probably fall into the category I mentioned above. :ph34r:

You can twist words and call it whatever you like, but all it takes is a little common sense to see this is an issue of courtesy, respect and simple appreciation.

If someone took the time to design, mint and distribute a geocoin as a gift...and all you can see are dollar signs when it falls into your mitts...then you probably fall into the category I mentioned above. :ph34r:

Rah!! Rah!! Y-squared. B)

'They' say possession is 9/10th's of the law - well I agree that the 1/10th still counts for a heck of a lot.

Show some respect to those that 'give' their coin freely as a sign of friendship and community.

I like the different figures, I liked the one with the hurt foot, but I would love to see figures to represend the races, (I mean that geocaching is a game for all... or it shows that and I didn't see clearly?) and a figure of a human in wheelchair! (meanning that everyone can do it!). B) Probably the one with the hurt foot represents that, but.. :D

As I saw, these coins were only in events, right? And as I saw the receivers are premioum members! :ph34r:

Well....

The people on the coins are the Lackeys.... the people who work at the Groundspeak grind to make geocaching.com work. These are the employees behind the scenes. I believe the folks on the obverse side of the 07 coin are the original employees (those you see on the 05 coin) and the ones on the front are the current worker bees.

To get one of these beauties you have to run into or meet a Lackey. You don't have to be a Premium Member although your membership helps to pay their salary... know what I mean? nudge nudge wink wink

A gift is a hello and a handshake. It's a solemn expression of appreciation that says you're thought of in a positive light.

Now I understand why I aint got one :laughing:

Or a mystery coin :D

I should clarify that this is just my take on it, as I don't assume to speak for those that distribute or hold these coins and I don't have a 2007.

Edited by YemonYime