Keeping score

ChileHead

For a lot of people, this game is all about the numbers. For a lot of others, it's completely not about the numbers. The find count posted next to each one of your finds is somewhat of an artificial representation of what you have really done. Terracaching has some sort of formula (that I've never quite understood), but I don't know if you can define your own scoring system.

There have been numerous requests to add a scoring system in the past, but I'm going to propose something a little different.

Each of us has a different idea of what a score should mean. The easiest one is the same one we have now, which is:

score=finds()

A more complex one is:

score=finds(terrain==5) * 20 + finds(terrain==4) * 15 + finds(terrain==3) * 10 + finds(terrain<3)

or

score=finds(type==multi) * 5 + finds(type != multi)

or for those who don't care and don't want it public:

score=0

I'd like to see a way in our profile to define our own scoring system through some sort of user defined formula that uses Groundspeak defined functions, or select from a list of canned formulas that the community defines. Click on a person's profile to see what scoring formula they use, or perhaps there is some indicator next to their name saying they are using a public formula or their own private formula. Want to share a user defined formula with somebody else? Have a way of making it public so others can use it.

Want to look like you have the best score and also look like an a**? Then define your formula as:

score=1000000 * finds()

Hate micros, and want to compete with your other micro hating friends?

score=finds(size>1)

Are you in the tough guy group, and only want to include tough terrain?

score=finds(terrain>3)

Obviously there is a lot you can do with this. It allows those who don't care to keep their score private.

Think this will increase the competition in what is supposed to be a non-competitive game? I don't think so - comparing me to somebody else is like comparing apples to oranges. We all use different systems.

I've always been partial to:

(Total Finds / 5) + (hides * 5) + (terrain4&5 finds * 2) + (difficulty3 finds) + (difficulty4&5 finds * 2) + (multis * 1.5) + (months with at least 1 find) + (events hosted *2) + (Cito Events hosted * 4) + (forum posts / 1000) + (FTFs) + (travelbugs moved / 10) + (travelbugs owned /2) + (average miles between caches)

:D:);)

:)

I usually go with: Did I have fun today when I was Geocaching? Yes = cool. No = go Geocaching again.

Yes, I'm firmly in the KISS camp! See above.

A really good band with some ahead-of-their-times concepts! The music was good, and the make-up/costume concept was really an attention-getter!

Sometimes I use: (Finds x (pounds of trash CITO'd / parking tickets received) +trackables moved - total number of bad LEO encounters - 10% of the fuel bill for the trip) to the power of the number of smiles I smiled.

I'm of the opinion that "micro spew" would be non-existant if a 1/1 cache is only worth 1/5 of a smiley, and a 5/5 cache worth a full smiley. B) I'm afraid the "spewers" would artificially raise the difficulty and terrain of their caches, just to increase visits. ;)

I have a better suggestion...

No score at all.

I would like the ability to remove from view my finds.

There is a cacher not too far from me that has done just that. He removed his "found-it" logs and replaced them with "notes."

0 finds....but not really!

My version of scoring is: Number of finds - (number of ticks removed + number of mosquito bites)

Any number greater than zero is a successful day. Zero or less, I try again tomorrow. For some strange reason, my scores are much higher in the winter...

minus mosquito bites? where do you live?

yesterday the number of mosquito bites i received on my left hand alone was more than double the amount of caches i found.

..by about ten minutes into my first hunt.

I wasn't suggesting this to get new ideas how to score. I was suggesting this so each person could decide how they want their stats to be displayed.

Personally, mine would be set to "score = 0" or "score = unknown", or maybe even "score = score(whiteUrkel) + 1"

Edited by ChileHead
I'm of the opinion that "micro spew" would be non-existant if a 1/1 cache is only worth 1/5 of a smiley, and a 5/5 cache worth a full smiley. :P I'm afraid the "spewers" would artificially raise the difficulty and terrain of their caches, just to increase visits. :P
I know that the last 1/1 cache that I found gave me a whole smile. So did the other caches that I found. Therefore, it looks like the site doles out smileys correctly.

Perhaps you are doing something wrong. Stop doing that.