Where do I find information/rules/howto on the DeLorme Challenge?

I would really like to set myself a goal and I have briefly heard of the DeLorme Challenge but can't fing the "real" ins and outs anywhere. Is there anywhere you tell "anyone" you are starting? Finishing? Do you get a "prize"? I know there are special coins you can buy celebrating the completion. Who knows if you completed it? If this isn't the right spot for this post... please direct me to the right place!

There are a plethora of DeLorme challenge caches, but since you're in Oregon, I'll assume you're interested in the Oregon DeLorme Challenge. The cache page explains the rules, notifications, etc., for the Oregon version of the challenge, so you should start there, and contact the cache owner if you have further questions.

FYI, I found the Oregon DeLorme by searching on "DeLorme" and "Oregon" in the Keywords field on the Find a Cache page. Enter only "DeLorme" and you'll see four pages of cache listings - that's a lotta DeLorme Challenges! Here's the one I've completed: Washington DeLorme Challenge. (Note some of its requirements differ from Oregon's - it's up to the cache owner to decide the challenge guidelines.)

Also, there are a variety of challenge caches out there, in addition to DeLorme. Washington state has so many we now have a Washington Challenge Caches bookmark list to keep track of them. :)

Edited by hydnsek

If you accept the challenge, keep in mind that the DeLorme map can change from year to year. I just bought a brand spanking new map here in NC, but when I look at the logs of people who have been at it for a while, the page numbers do not match my map. This is a problem if you want to use somebody else's list as a guide, or if a friend calls you up to "go get page 65". Have fun!

To answer the specific question, the basic concept is to find at least one cache on every "page" of a DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer for a specific state. To do this you'll need to purchase a paper DeLorme atlas for the state you're interested in. All states are $19.95 each except CA and TX, which are $24.95 each. Incidentally, if you often find yourself driving in rural areas, I recommend getting a copy whether you're planning on doing the challenge or not.

Other than that basic concept, all other rules can vary from state to state. Some caches allow placing a cache on a map page instead of finding one there, some require that all caches used for this challenge NOT be used for any other state challenge (you can't use your single find in the farthest corner of the state to count for a County Challenge in addition to your DeLorme Challenge), some require that if multiple map sections are on the same page you have to find a cache in all sections.

[EDIT]

Or you can get fairly significant discount if you buy multiple books at once at this link.

Edited by J-Way

I would really like to set myself a goal and I have briefly heard of the DeLorme Challenge but can't fing the "real" ins and outs anywhere. Is there anywhere you tell "anyone" you are starting? Finishing? Do you get a "prize"? I know there are special coins you can buy celebrating the completion. Who knows if you completed it? If this isn't the right spot for this post... please direct me to the right place!

I am currently working on the Nevada Delorme challenge, I've been working on it here and there for the last year (as Nevada is a big state and in some places gas is $5 a gallon as most of it is desolate). Delorme books do change and I believe in the Nevada case, you can use the book "you have" we also have a page that is mostly part of the Nevada Test Range (no civilians are allowed) with a road that just barely nicks the top of the page. I'm not positive but I think there is a cache on that section of road that has been allowed. (Just an example of how the rules can be different state by state) As far as what you win. In our case the cache owner puts on an event about twice a year and you get a nice gas can and a cool embroidered keychain. And you get to see all of your state.