Strange forum problem

trainlove

This post http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=196247 which I wrote 2 days ago still shows the last poster as being the person before my post when looking at it among the topics on GPS and Technology threads (page 2 right now).

It's not as if he and I posted at almost the same time.

And yes I know the forums are written by other than Groundspeak but I'm wondering if the database is corrupted. I have seen posts where I would click on it and would not be able to see the last few posts at all, the bottom of the page does not appear and you can't click Fast Reply, or Add Reply, or New Topic.

Edited to say, I mean that reply #12 to that post, not the post itself. I'm just a responder there not the originator.

Edited by trainlove

I had a similar problem today. It was in the Off Topic forum when trying to reply in the Compound Word thread. My post - was this.

It timed out so I opened a new tab (like I have done in the past) to see if it was showing as a new post. To my surprise it was not, but when I clicked on the last post, it opened up with my post! :huh::huh:

So, to push it to show and become a "New post" at the top of the forum, I edited - full edit. It also timed out and still did not show as a new post. So, I edited it again - quick edit and still nothing. So, one last effort- another full edit and an emoticon. Nothing!!!!

So I just posted another regular post - telling people to look at my edit above - it showed up as new.

So the question is this. "Am I doing something wrong that causes this to happen? If so what am I doing to break things? Is there a certain pattern to follow? Did I break the rules of posting in the threads and am being punished? Am I moderated and not know it? HELP!!!"

Thank you for letting me rant and if I have been doing something wrong - would someone please inform me so I might change my habits.

Shirley~

Half of the 2oldfarts

...It's not as if he and I posted at almost the same time.

And yes I know the forums are written by other than Groundspeak but I'm wondering if the database is corrupted. I have seen posts where I would click on it and would not be able to see the last few posts at all, the bottom of the page does not appear and you can't click Fast Reply, or Add Reply, or New Topic.

I have seen this problem as well - but for a long time not just recently. I have found if you are patient and wait long enough - the rest of the posts will show up after 3 to 6 minutes or so. I thought it was an ISP problem - comforting to know that others have experienced it.

I have seen this problem as well - but for a long time not just recently. I have found if you are patient and wait long enough - the rest of the posts will show up after 3 to 6 minutes or so. I thought it was an ISP problem - comforting to know that others have experienced it.

Well, it's still wrong.

My post and his were some 2 hours apart, all of 7 days ago, not mere minutes ago.

It's now nearly the 200'th post in the GPS & Technology topic, just about the end of page 4, with a setting of 50 per page.

Please don't nobody post a message to that topic and therefore wreck this repeatable proof of something hinky that should be investigated.

You know, I gotta' ask you... what do you want Groundspeak to do exactly?

They did not write this forum software. It is provided by Invision Power Board. If you see an issue with the board display, shouldn't you be going to their support forums and posting topics there? Is Groundspeak expected to stop working on their site and attempt to evaluate code from third party software they had nothing to do with constructing?

http://forums.invisionpower.com/

Please take this issue to the proper place. I hope you will post with the same zeal over there that you seem to exhibit here on these forums.

They did not write this forum software. It is provided by Invision Power Board. If you see an issue with the board display, shouldn't you be going to their support forums and posting topics there? Is Groundspeak expected to stop working on their site and attempt to evaluate code from third party software they had nothing to do with constructing?

Please take this issue to the proper place. I hope you will post with the same zeal over there that you seem to exhibit here on these forums.

Thank you.

1. I don't want Groundspeak to do anything other than to notice that there is something wrong.

2. Now I can mention it to the people who care. Prior to now I had absolutely no idea who wrote this software. You know, if I were Invision, I would require all users of this to make mention of my name somewhere in MY software.

Groundspeak, like any other site that uses Invision, has a certain amount of flexiblity in adjusting parameters and options on the board. They are also the one responsible for configuring and maintaining their hardware and thru their ISP their internet connection. When there is a problem with the Groundspeak forum is seems reasonable for users to report them here and for Groundspeak to investigate the problem and see if it something they can fix. If not Grounspeak can contact Invision for support and they're more likely to get a response than if some user of the Groundspeak forum contact Invision directly. Even when a user is asking for a new feature that the forums doesn't currently support it would make sense for users to go through Groundspeak.

I for one am glad I can deal with my local reviewer when I have question about a cache submission and that he doesn't tell me to contact mtn-man directly :huh:

Edited by tozainamboku

I guess my question is that if this is something that is not happening often and not that big of a deal, do you think it is worth stopping work on GC.com web site work to see if they can solve this issue. In the great "to do" list at Groundspeak, where does this rank for you?

My opinion is that it is pretty low.

If Groundspeak published their great 'to-do' list I would see just I think is worth fixing and what I think is a waste of time...

This issue is nothing at all. I hope that there is no programmer time wasted on the forums whatsoever. Groundspeak is geocaching, not speaking so ALL time should be spent on version 2.never.

But of course my opinion is completely different from reality.

I guess my question is that if this is something that is not happening often and not that big of a deal, do you think it is worth stopping work on GC.com web site work to see if they can solve this issue. In the great "to do" list at Groundspeak, where does this rank for you?

My opinion is that it is pretty low.

This is the reason we left Terracaching.

When a problem was mentioned, regardless of the size of said problem, the TPTB would not bother to respond in a polite and/or reasonable fashion. Often, they would make snide/rude comments to the poster of the problem. They had been known to blame the user for their problem, regardless of what was at fault. They no longer respond to the users of their site because they are too busy working on TC 2.0 and the only response now is, it will be fixed in TC 2.0. :D

The reason for posting the problem in the forums is for the benefit of the admins, so they will have an idea of what is happening with their site. Even if the problem is small, it may be an indicator of a larger problem that needs to be investigated.

Small problems can become Big problems rather quickly if they are not corrected when first found. But it is not my site, so feel free to do what it is you feel best doing.

A simple "we'll look into it" goes a long way with customer relations.

John