Announcing the Micronator!

J-Way

Hate micros? Now's your chance to take out your frustration! Surface Industries announces the long-awaited MICRONATOR!

micro300.jpg

Specifications:

Propellent- Aqua Net

Maximum recorded height 18'

A video of the Micronator in action:

MICRONATOR!

[Note: link opens a video on a different site]

This information posted as a public service announcement. Opinions expressed here do not neccesarily reflect those of the OP, Groundspeak, or lackeys.

Hate micros? Now's your chance to take out your frustration! Surface Industries announces the long-awaited MICRONATOR!

micro300.jpg

Specifications:

Propellent- Aqua Net

MICRONATOR!

This information posted as a public service announcement. Opinions expressed here do not neccesarily reflect those of the OP, Groundspeak, or lackeys.

Frankly, my strong feeling about this matter -- and I share it here only because you have asked -- is simply that I am starkly and utterly appalled, disgusted and dismayed at the insensitivity, inappropriateness and lack of vision displayed in the post above. Please see below for more details.

We all know that lame urban micros, when scattered in the wild, tend to proliferate madly, producing progeny at breakneck speed and flooding entire areas with their spawn, and almost anyone with a half a mind who has been in this sport for more than a few months knows that the ONLY way to truly and effectively disable a lame urban micro is to incinerate it in a high-oxidation firing in a kiln or industrial incinerator a temperatures of over 13,000 degrees F for at least three hours, or, if one must launch it "into space" in order to indulge childhood rocketry fantasies, then the micro must be launched in a rocket which will securely carry its payload into the sun, where it will be safely incinerated in the sun's outer atmosphere. The only other known alternative for effectively destroying lame urban micros is incineration in the near-field of a nuclear blast from a nuclear device with a yield of at least 4.2 megatons.

You know, it is asinine and half-baked suggestions such as the OPs -- a suggestion which would simply lead to further breeding and over-proliferation of lame urban micros -- which tend to give this sport a bad name in many circles and in the eyes of the media and in the eyes of scientists and engineers alike. I beg each and every one of you -- for the sake of preserving the good name of this sport -- to please, the next time that you feel the urge to make such a suggestion regarding disposal of micros, to thoroughly vet your disposal proposal by subjecting it to due diligence to ensure that your proposed solution meets the stringent engineering requirements and specifications needed to truly destroy a lame urban micro.

In fact (and herein I am fulfilling the Godwin's Law compliance requirements of this forum for each thread posted within the forum), I feel strongly that anyone who would make a suggestion for such an inane and ineffective method of disposing of lame urban micros is likely a Nazi sympathizer and may likely have voted for Hitler!

micro300.jpg

Specifications:

Propellent- Aqua Net

MICRONATOR!

Frankly, my strong feeling about this matter -- and I share it here only because you have asked -- is simply that I am starkly and utterly appalled, disgusted and dismayed at the insensitivity, inappropriateness and lack of vision displayed in the post above. Please see below for more details.

We all know that lame urban micros, when scattered in the wild, tend to proliferate madly, producing progeny at breakneck speed and flooding entire areas with their spawn, and almost anyone with a half a mind who has been in this sport for more than a few months knows that the ONLY way to truly and effectively disable a lame urban micro is to incinerate it in a high-oxidation firing in a kiln or industrial incinerator a temperatures of over 13,000 degrees F for at least three hours, or, if one must launch it "into space" in order to indulge childhood rocketry fantasies, then the micro must be launched in a rocket which will securely carry its payload into the sun, where it will be safely incinerated in the sun's outer atmosphere. The only other known alternative for effectively destroying lame urban micros is incineration in the near-field of a nuclear blast from a nuclear device with a yield of at least 4.2 megatons.

You know, it is asinine and half-baked suggestions such as the OPs -- a suggestion which would simply lead to further breeding and over-proliferation of lame urban micros -- which tend to give this sport a bad name in many circles and in the eyes of the media and in the eyes of scientists and engineers alike. I beg each and every one of you -- for the sake of preserving the good name of this sport -- to please, the next time that you feel the urge to make such a suggestion regarding disposal of micros, to thoroughly vet your disposal proposal by subjecting it to due diligence to ensure that your proposed solution meets the stringent engineering requirements and specifications needed to truly destroy a lame urban micro.

In fact (and herein I am fulfilling the Godwin's Law compliance requirements of this forum for each thread posted within the forum), I feel strongly that anyone who would make a suggestion for such an inane and ineffective method of disposing of lame urban micros is likely a Nazi sympathizer and may likely have voted for Hitler!

Am I "kind of " getting the impression that you don't enjoy micos?? :lol:

micro300.jpg

Specifications:

Propellent- Aqua Net

MICRONATOR!

Am I "kind of " getting the impression that you don't enjoy micos?? :lol:

No, not at all! While I do tend to personally avoid 99% of the micros which I encounter on the grounds that they are lame urban or lame suburban micros, my avoidance of micros is simply my personal preference, and I would never try to impose my preferences upon other geocachers. In other words, I have nothing against the existence of lame urban micros, and their existence does not bother me at all, and I appreciate the fact that some other geocachers (albeit geocachers who are brain-dead and lacking any sense of ethics or morality) may enjoy hunting those nasty little things. Rather, in my post above, I was merely correcting some strong technical errors -- that is, errors of fact -- in the OP's original post, wherein she/he incorrectly implied that his/her device (which, I noticed on my most recent visit to Ebay this morning, he/she is now marketing on Ebay) could and would effectively destroy micros. The truth is that his/her device would actually assist in the proliferation of lame urban micros, and due to the OPs lack of grounding in a firm understanding of the sciences (particularly the science of micro reproduction) and engineering, she/he inadvertently shared their recommendation for their flawed hypothesis/technology in their initial post to this thread. Thus, out of a sense of civic duty, I offered in my earlier post some corrections to the egregiuos errors found in the OPs original post.

Incidentally, this is not my creation. Another cacher created the prototype, made the video, and posted it to another caching forum. Since he doesn't participate in these forums, I asked for permission to post the links here. I'm not necessarily against micros; I just think this is funny.

Think you could design a larger version to launch some of the more prolific micro-hiders??

:lol:

Perhaps not surprisingly, this exact question was asked in the other forum as well.

Incidentally, this is not my creation. Another cacher created the prototype, made the video, and posted it to another caching forum. Since he doesn't participate in these forums, I asked for permission to post the links here. I'm not necessarily against micros; I just think this is funny.

Think you could design a larger version to launch some of the more prolific micro-hiders??

:lol:

Perhaps not surprisingly, this exact question was asked in the other forum as well.

And another example of unintended consequences. ---

A prolific micro-hider I know has been looking for a way to place caches that is more efficient then tossing them out of the car at .1 mile intervals. A bit of modification to get the micronator range to be over .1 miles and he will be able to place up to 7 caches at one stop instead of the current 1 cache. Thanks for the idea. :D

Lots of fun, but nowhere near as effective as the existing Micronator:

(1)
Go to
My Pocket Queries

(2)
Select
Create a New Query

(3)
Among your other customizations, deselect
Any Container
and click
Selected Containers

(4)
Click each container size option you desire, being very careful NOT to select
Micro
<-- (THIS IS THE CRITICAL STEP)

(5)
Click
Submit

No cool explosions or ballistic trajectories, but no micros to spoil your day either.

Hey, Vinnie, I thought you were working on an experimental breeding program to develop goats capable of eating and destroying micros. It looks like (from reading your first post) that your results were negative.

Strange that you should ask about that doomed project. It turned out that we were able to develop a breeding lineage of goats that was very good at hunting down lame urban micros, eating them, and digesting them fully, and then emitting the remains out their rear end in a far that was far more preferable and desirable than the original micros, namely, as goat poop. However, as our project gained more widespread media attention, it unfortunately came to the attention of both PETA and ASPCA International, and both organizations filed suit against us in US federal court for intentionally and knowingly feeding to goats the worst toxin known to humankind, namely, lame urban micros, and they also persuaded the feds to bring criminal charges of animal cruelty against us on the same grounds. Needless to say, the project was quickly ended, and I am still dealing with the multiple legal aftermaths of the whole unfortunate episode. :lol:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Hey, Vinnie, I thought you were working on an experimental breeding program to develop goats capable of eating and destroying micros. It looks like (from reading your first post) that your results were negative.

Strange that you should ask about that doomed project. It turned out that we were able to develop a breeding lineage of goats that was very good at hunting down lame urban micros, eating them, and digesting them fully, and then emitting the remains out their rear end in a far that was far more preferable and desirable than the original micros, namely, as goat poop. However, as our project gained more widespread media attention, it unfortunately came to the attention of both PETA and ASPCA International, and both organizations filed suit against us in US federal court for intentionally and knowingly feeding to goats the worst toxin known to humankind, namely, lame urban micros, and they also persuaded the feds to bring criminal charges of animal cruelty against us on the same grounds. Needless to say, the project was quickly ended, and I am still dealing with the multiple legal aftermaths of the whole unfortunate episode. :lol:

So, I guess we won't be seeing any angst-filled "lame urban goat poop glut" threads anytime soon?

Shouldn't we have heard by now from someone telling us that using this machine will also launch the micros that they DO like, and therefore isn't a good solution?

I'm sure they're supposed to comment that it's just the laaaaaame micros they want to launch, and then give us snappy insults about LPCs and "trache" to show us they're cleaver?

They've done this on almost all other anti-micro threads as soon as someone suggests simply removing them from PQs if you don't like em.

I'm just sayin'.

I am usually highly impressed with the intelligence of many of those that post on this forum. Particularly some who have posted to this thread.

Imagine then my disappointment to find that even some of the smartest posters don't know that Micros are indestructible. More so then even the famous Superman, as even Kriptonite won't hurt them.

Shoot them into the sun, HA, they would just explode and fly back to earth as many times more Micros.

You cannot destroy micros the only thing you can do is to destroy those that seek micros, and I think that may be illegal. ( At least I hope it is, as I have been known to seek and even enjoy the occasional lame urban micro. :D:lol: )

It is nice, although hard, to find caches in Chattanooga that are not micros. So next time I am up there, I shall seek thy LocknLock. :D:lol::D

PP4x4

According to my Chattanooga PQ, there are nearly 500 non-micro non-unknown caches in and around Chattanooga. Incidently, this is a bit more than are in my home area, and I am not lacking in caches to find.

Edited by sbell111

A simple version can be made by mixing baking soda, and vinegar.

Build a film canister rocket!

Build and launch a rocket that goes 10 feet in the air!

You will need:

One 35mm plastic film canister (the container most 35mm film comes in)

The lid that come with the 35mm film canister

One antacid tablet (such as Alka-Seltzer - Get this from your parents)

water

What to do:

1. Go outside.

2. Remove the lid from the film canister and put one antacid tablet in the container.

3. Add a teaspoon of water to the container.

3. Do the next 2 steps quickly - put the cap on and make sure that is on tightly

4. Quickly put the canister on the ground CAP SIDE DOWN and STEP BACK at least 2 meters.

5. About 10 seconds later, you will hear a POP! and the film canister will launch into the air!

6. If it does not launch, wait at least 30 second before examining the canister. Usually the cap is not on tight enough.

TIP - The white plastic film canisters usually work better than the black canisters with the gray tops.

SO HOW DOES IT WORK?

When you add the water it starts to dissolve the alkaselzer tablet. This creates a gas call carbon dioxide. It also creates pressure inside the film canister. As more gas is made, more pressure builds up until the cap it blasted down and the rocket is blasted up. This is actually how a real rocket works whether it is in outer space or here in the earth's atmosphere. You can improve the rocket by adding fins and a nose cone that you can make out of paper. If you like this experiment, try the Exploding Lunch Bag. Be safe and have fun!

My local pharmacy has Alka-Seltzer, but, ... uh ... okay, I'll travel to where my parents are living in retirement and mooch some from them, if you say so.

;)

What? :D A thread about micro proliferation and myyyy name hasn't been mentioned yet! :rolleyes:

It's much easier to "Tom Sawer" folks into hiding micros than to launch them randomly by rocket. Phase 2 is still in the planning stages, but not forgotten....

If someone could build a rocket big enough to get me into space.... I betcha you're gonna need some friends to help stuff me in it. I'm more than a handful when cornered. ;):D

My local pharmacy has Alka-Seltzer, but, ... uh ... okay, I'll travel to where my parents are living in retirement and mooch some from them, if you say so.

I copied and pasted that without noticing the line about parents. :rolleyes:

I copied and pasted that without noticing the line about parents. :rolleyes:

Ya don't say! ;)

if you just get a can of compressed air, turn it upside down, spray some liquid in the film canister, then close it and get away, the same effect occurs.*** We'd do it all the time at my old job. boom boom boom!

***note: don't do this cause you could get hurt or die or something.

:D

What? :rolleyes: A thread about micro proliferation and myyyy name hasn't been mentioned yet! ;)

It's much easier to "Tom Sawer" folks into hiding micros than to launch them randomly by rocket. Phase 2 is still in the planning stages, but not forgotten....

That's because you haven't mentioned your micro proliferation project, in like a year!! I thought it was totally abandoned, to be honest. I'm glad to hear phase 2 is not forgotten.

This is pretty ironic, since I'm probably going to find my first ODS film canister when I'm out of town later today!! I already actually have one ODS find, but that cache owner tossed out the film canister, and made their cache an ammo box. Brilliant, eh? ;)

Okay Mr. Wizard, let's hear about the exploding lunch bag.

Shamelessly stolen from the Internet:

You will need:

One small zip-lock bag - small freezer bags work best.

Baking soda

Warm water

Vinegar

Measuring cup

A tissue

What to do:

1. Go outside - or at least do this in the kitchen sink.

2. Put 1/4 cup of pretty warm water into the bag.

3. Add 1/2 cup of vinegar to the water in the bag.

3. Put 3 teaspoons of baking soda into the middle of the tissue

4. Wrap the the baking soda up in the tissue by folding the tissue around it.

5. You will have to work fast now - partially zip the bag closed but leave enough space to add the baking soda packet. Put the tissue with the baking soda into the bag and quickly zip the bag completely closed.

6. Put the bag in the sink or down on the ground (outside) and step back. The bag will start to expand, and expand, and if all goes well...POP!

Cool huh? Nothing like a little chemistry to to add fun to a boring afternoon. What happens inside the bag is actually pretty interesting - the baking soda and the vinegar eventually mix (the tissue buys you some time to zip the bag shut) When they do mix, you create an ACID-BASE reaction and the two chemicals work together to create a gas, (carbon dioxide - the stuff we breathe out) well it turns out gasses need a lot of room and the carbon dioxide starts to fill the bag, and keeps filling the bag until the bag can no longer hold it any more and, POP! Be sure to clean up well and recycle those plastic bags...have fun!

I know I'm still new at this, but I heard that you could use the Mentos and Diet Coke method to eliminate micros. Is that wrong?

*disclaimer...before someone checks my finds to determine that I have in fact actually logged micros, I will state for the record that while they are not my favorite, when I am running errands an occasional micro helps make my humdrum existance more exciting while planning my next major woods excursion. They are also included in our GNOC events as we usually need a break between climbing trees and rolling down hills. We ain't as young as we think we are.

The problem with the Mentos/Diet Coke resolution is that the container survives. The only thing you really accomplish is moving the cache 20' or so. For a mixed chemical resolution, something along the lines of chlorine and brake fluid might work better. (Disclaimer: Don't mix stuff based upon the Internet ramblings of an ol' fat guy with a smelly hat)

The problem with the Mentos/Diet Coke resolution is that the container survives. The only thing you really accomplish is moving the cache 20' or so. For a mixed chemical resolution, something along the lines of chlorine and brake fluid might work better. (Disclaimer: Don't mix stuff based upon the Internet ramblings of an ol' fat guy with a smelly hat)

Thanks for clearing that up for me...I learn so much on these forums!

*off to wally world to buy bleach and brake fluid...must log LPC whilst there...*

Edited by TMDMom

The spud launcher we used to make might work well for a micronator.

While stationed in CA I owned a wrecker that I contracted out to the city in my off-duty hours and got to know the local cops pretty well. Their station was a block from my house. I discovered that a potato cannon (spud launcher) worked quite nicely for bombarding their parking lot from a distance. Don't try this if the cops don't like you! A lot!

Take a 3' length of pipe and drill a small hole 1' from the end.

Adjusting the angle of the pipe for desired trajectory, stick the end of the pipe with the hole in it 10" into the ground until the hole is 2" or so above-ground.

Wrap the micro (we used potatoes) with tissue so that it snugly fits into the top of the pipe and push it about 1' down inside.

Spray anything flammable... WD-40, hairspray, whatever (I use oxy-acetylene from my welder) into the hole you drilled.

Ignite by touching a long fireplace match to the hole.

Depending on the gas you used the results can be quite rewarding. The 2" O.D. exhaust pipe I made mine from would launch a good-size spud up to 800'. It might put a micro in orbit! :huh:

Edit to add: Those were simpler times, 38 years ago, pre-9/11; Don't try this at home, you may end up in the hospital or under the jail!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

The spud launcher we used to make might work well for a micronator.

While stationed in CA I owned a wrecker that I contracted out to the city in my off-duty hours and got to know the local cops pretty well. Their station was a block from my house. I discovered that a potato cannon (spud launcher) worked quite nicely for bombarding their parking lot from a distance. Don't try this if the cops don't like you! A lot!

Take a 3' length of pipe and drill a small hole 1' from the end.

Adjusting the angle of the pipe for desired trajectory, stick the end of the pipe with the hole in it 10" into the ground until the hole is 2" or so above-ground.

Wrap the micro (we used potatoes) with tissue so that it snugly fits into the top of the pipe and push it about 1' down inside.

Spray anything flammable... WD-40, hairspray, whatever (I use oxy-acetylene from my welder) into the hole you drilled.

Ignite by touching a long fireplace match to the hole.

Depending on the gas you used the results can be quite rewarding. The 2" O.D. exhaust pipe I made mine from would launch a good-size spud up to 800'. It might put a micro in orbit! :huh:

Edit to add: Those were simpler times, 38 years ago, pre-9/11; Don't try this at home, you may end up in the hospital or under the jail!

I've never launched a potato, but I've sent a few tennis balls to an amazing height with a much more dangerous method in my youth.

Even back 25 years ago actual Tin cans were no longer used to can veggies for purchase at a grocery store, but I had access to several from my grandparents storage shed. I swapped their old, and very sturdy, tin cans for newer aluminum (or whatever they're made of) to hold the bits and pieces they wanted kept, and I had the base for a tennis ball cannon. If someone tries this with a modern can from the grocery store, be aware that the can will probably split open and serious damage will occur. But that can be fun too. :huh:

I started by putting a hole on the side near the bottom to stick one end of a long piece of cannon fuse (a foot or more gives enough time to run) in, and then I opened both ends of 3 tennis ball cans (back then they were also made of sturdy aluminum instead of plastic) and duct taped them together. I also took a tennis ball sized wad of paper towel and wrapped it in foil to use as wadding, very important to use this to achieve maximum altitude!

Then, I put in the canon fuse, dumped a cap full of gun powder into the can (I told you this was very dangerous), and stuffed the foil wadding into the can on top of the powder and mashed it in tight. Finally, another piece of duct tape to hold the tennis ball cans onto the tin can, drop in a tennis ball, and while it's standing upright in the middle of a parking lot or somewhere fairly empty, light the fuse and run away.

The sound of the explosion was great, and looking straight up we'd see something WAY the heck up in the sky that would fall down and we realized it was just the wadding, the tennis ball arrived shortly after but must have gone 4 times as high. We never saw how high because it literally went out of sight.

Considering all the stuff we did with gunpowder it's a wonder I've still got all my fingers.

...Considering all the stuff we did with gunpowder it's a wonder I've still got all my fingers.

Same here! Considering the things we did with homemade gunpowder, homemade solidi-state rocket fuels, and massive homemade rockets back in the 50s and early 60s, it is amazing that my childhood friends and I are still alive, and that we still have fingers and limbs! And, while I useta regularly earn silver and gold stars on my forehead (yes, really ...how bizarre!) from the nuns in elementary school and from the priests who taught at my high school for my antics with homemade rockets, and while my antics earned me the presidency of the Rocket Club in my private high school, it appears that kids who do the same things nowadays in our new, modern over-protective Nanny Era end up getting hauled off to a mental hospital for ten years of forced incarceration in return for their efforts at making homemade rockets and homemade rocket fuels! Very strange world!